Video Card Suggestions from Experts?!?!

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Holiday, Jul 31, 2003.

  1. Holiday

    Holiday Guest

    My current system:

    A7V rev. 1.02
    TB 950 w/ 392 Megs PC133
    Win2k/Win98 Dual Boot
    TNT 2 32megs

    My loyal TNT 2 has performed admirably the last 3 yrs, especially with
    a decent overclock support to help me play even new games on a lower
    resolution. I do find this year though that some games are coming out
    that will not run at all on this card.

    I am on a budget and upgrading the mobo, cpu and memory is not an
    option. I am willing to spend upwards of $150US for a decent video
    card that will keep my current processor gaming for another year or
    two but allow for it to be transposed onto a new system. Any
    recmommendations for my TB950 system? Can I run an AGP8X card on this
    mobo?

    Opinions?

    Thanx

    Holiday, Jul 31, 2003

  2. Holiday

    PHil Guest

    PHil, Aug 1, 2003

  3. Holiday

    rstlne Guest

    the 8x might be useless now.. reply to this thread in about 12 months and
    lets compare then.. once we see some "software" design'd to take advantage
    of the cards

    rstlne, Aug 1, 2003
  4. Holiday

    jaeger Guest

    In 12 months a 4200 will be far too behind to make of use of any 8X
    benefits if they emerge. Anyway, huge onboard frame buffers and texture
    compression have made the very idea of AGP pretty much irrelevant. It
    will be replaced by PCI-X before it provides any real enhancements.

    jaeger, Aug 1, 2003
  5. Huh? 12 months? This card is obsolete now.

    Nobody_of_Consequence, Aug 1, 2003
  6. Holiday

    Minotaur Guest

    Would look for an ATI 9700, they should be cheap enough now.
    Then just clock it to, 9700 Pro speeds :) Even at default speeds,
    nothing else would come close to performance/price and be capable
    of 4X FSAA and 16X AF in Battlefeild 1942 etc

    Minotaur, Aug 1, 2003
  7. You might want to post to the seperate Nvidia and ATI newsgroups to
    get a better idea. I'm a Nvidia person myself and seems like the
    currrent consensus is a Geforce 4 (probably Ti4200 or 4800) then a new
    Geforce 5 (like the 5600). Also go to Newegg and look at customer
    comments and votes. The Asus Ti4200 at $150 has 80 votes at 5 stars.
    The MSI card has 70 votes too. Also be aware of memory used, some
    same sounding models don't use the same kind memory (like some use 64
    bit vs 128 bit memory - I'm not talking megs here).

    Bilbo_Baggins, Aug 1, 2003
  8. I'm no expert, but I highly recommend the ASUS GeForce 4 Ti 4200 128MB
    with
    I agree, at least with the chipset. I'm using an MSI 4200 8X 128MB with
    VIVO.

    JonnyCab®, Aug 1, 2003
  9. This motherboard is only AGP 2.0 compliant, so it will only support up to
    AGP 4x. 8x doesn't do you any good with this mobo.

    Homer J Simpson, Aug 1, 2003
  10. I read (not sure its true or not) that you don't have to worry about
    the x factor (2x, 4x, 8x etc) cause this performance parameter only is
    used in extreme or rare conditions.

    Bilbo_Baggins, Aug 1, 2003