Video card that supports two monitors and has a TV input

Discussion in 'Nvidia' started by J.Clarke, Oct 16, 2003.

  1. J.Clarke

    J.Clarke Guest

    On 15 Oct 2003 19:59:30 -0700
    There are a couple of single-board options.

    One is the ATI Radeon 9600
    All-In-Wonder. But no DVI--both connectors are analog VGA. And the
    connectors are on a dongle that attaches to the board via another
    connector that is a bit fragile. Has inputs for antenna, cable,
    composite, and s-video, and outputs for s-video, composite, and SPDIF in
    addition to the two VGAs.

    The other is the Matrox G200MMS G2+/QUAD-PL/TVN (note-the TVN is
    important--that indicates that it has the video-in option. The Matrox
    is a quad-DVI board (to use DVI you have to get a special cable from
    Matrox) with tuner and composite input but no TV-out. It is also a PCI
    board and should be usable in conjunction with another board in the AGP
    slot but unless that board is a matrox there's no guarantee that the
    drivers will coexist.

    Of the two, the ATI has more video features, has higher performance, and
    costs less, but the Matrox has two additional outputs, can output DVI on
    all four, and the quality of its TV capture is marginally better than
    ATI's (I can't tell the difference but people who do video
    professionally can apparently see it clearly).
    You could do that, but another option is to use whatever video board you
    want and a TV tuner board to get the TV-in--any board based on a
    Brooktree/Conexant 800 series DAC should be fine--the Hauppauge WinTV
    series or the ATI TV Wonders for example (the Hauppauge WinTV-PVR series
    use a different DAC which provides hardware compression but doesn't
    provide uncompressed output)--the benefit of using a Brooktree/Conexant
    DAC is that they are supported by a lot of third-party software (the
    ATI All-in-wonder boards have proprietary DACs as do the Matrox boards,
    so they also have limited third-party software support). Since you don't
    want a TV-out this might be the best solution for you.

    J.Clarke, Oct 16, 2003

  2. J.Clarke

    Rich Guest

    Does Nvdia or anyone else for that matter make a video card that
    supports two monitors and has a TV coax input?

    I want to run two monitors but be able to watch TV in the window of
    one of the monitors.

    I have been looking for a while but cant seem to find a two monitor
    card with coax input. I would prefer coax input as I have dish
    network two rooms over and it would be easy to put a splitter on the
    coax to my tv and run it to the computer room.

    Does anyone make a video card that can do this?

    If not could I get two video cards and one being an all in wonder
    type and the second being just a plain video card? I assume I use
    two cards but if I did would I be able to put the TV image in the
    secondard monitor?

    Rich, Oct 16, 2003

  3. J.Clarke

    cowboyz Guest

    Not really but I run the MX460 with dual monitor and have a VCR sitting
    beside my machine and just run the composite to video in to watch tv on one
    of the monitors. Not really what you are looking for but that is the way I
    do it.

    cowboyz, Oct 16, 2003
  4. J.Clarke

    Biz Guest

    If you have DISH network then you want a vid card with video in, not a video
    card with a TV tuner with a coax input. YOu have to have the coax connected
    to a DISH receiver, and run the video feed from the DISH receiver. A vid
    card with coax input will only work with unscrambled cable or OTA(over the
    air-which means antenna) since the TV tuner cards are only regular tuners
    and not DBS. There are some standalone HDTV cards now, but that requires a
    seperate antenna altogether.

    Biz, Oct 16, 2003
  5. J.Clarke

    Darthy Guest

    Currently, CompUSA is dumping the ALL-IN-WONDER 9700 PROs for $300!

    Darthy, Oct 16, 2003
  6. J.Clarke

    FLY135 Guest

    Why not buy a TV tuner card and then use any twin output VGA adpater that
    you want?

    FLY135, Oct 16, 2003