Video Cards on the sweet spot between cost, performance, & longevity

Discussion in 'Nvidia' started by Opticreep, Sep 18, 2004.

  1. Opticreep

    Opticreep Guest

    I'm currently planning on upgrading my video card to go with a gaming
    rig based on a Athlon64 3200+ system.

    Basically, budget is not an issue. However, I *would* like to get the
    most bang out of my buck. I'm not willing to spend an extra 40% in
    cost if it'll only yield a 10% performance increase. And I'm not
    willing to buy a fancy new card that'll depreciate all the way down to
    60% of its original value within six months or something. I'm not
    really looking to buy the biggest and baddest card available; I just
    want an ideal graphics card to straddle the delicate balance between
    cost, performance, and longevity. I *did* own a Geforce4 Ti4200 for a
    long time, after all.

    So... which is it? Right now, I'm looking at maybe going for a Radeon
    9800 Pro for $197 at Newegg. I'm not even sure if I ought to get the
    128MB or the 256MB version. I was going to get the 128MB version...
    but then on Doom 3, a 128MB video card yields a "suggested" setup of
    only medium (!) setting, instead of high for 256MB cards. If this is
    a sign of things to come for all the newest games to be released in
    the next year, then maybe the 128MB cards are becoming obsolete
    already.

    Anyway, I'm open to suggestions.

    Opticreep, Sep 18, 2004

  2. Opticreep

    Lachoneus Guest

    And I'm not willing to buy a fancy new card that'll depreciate all
    something.

    Good luck. Better get one made out of solid gold. :)

    Lachoneus, Sep 18, 2004

  3. Opticreep

    Raj Guest

    I saay wait for the 6600's release and all prices will drop for vid card and
    pick up a 6800 for abt 250 at that time!

    Raj, Sep 18, 2004
  4. Opticreep

    tq96 Guest

    cost if it'll only yield a 10% performance increase. And I'm not
    I'd say get one of those fancy new cards that has already deprecated to 60%
    of its original value.

    tq96, Sep 18, 2004