Video Oddities--Tyan K8E

Discussion in 'Tyan' started by ho72, Nov 15, 2005.

  1. ho72

    ho72 Guest

    I've had the K8E based system for about a week, and 6 days of it hav
    been pure hell. I opted to use a Matrox P650 PCIe for my video car
    and, after numerous BSODs and several hours of troubleshooting,
    pulled the Matrox out and switched on the onboard ATI chip. Thing
    now seem *almost* normal

    One issue remains that has me concerned. With either the Matrox OR th
    ATI running the video, on a warm boot I get a blank screen about hal
    the time. It was this behavior that led me to suspect the Matrox (o
    its driver) was causing my grief, but I'm not so sure. True, m
    system is stable for the first time since I've had it, but the blan
    screen reboots concern me

    I have to assume this is Tyan's issue since it happens with eithe
    video system. And, since Tyan provides no jumper to disable the AT
    (only an initialization setting in the BIOS), could it be possibl
    that the Matrox's bad behavior was caused by Tyan's implementation o
    PCIe on this board

    Thanks

    ho72, Nov 15, 2005

  2. I have a K8SE with a Gigabyte 6600GT video card, and I have the same
    problem with cold boots. Sometimes it's a black screen, but usually it
    seems to hang part way through the initial (white on black), often part
    way through the memory check. The second boot has always worked. I'm
    thinking a timing problem in the BIOS, not a video problem.

    Martin

    Martin Shoemaker, Nov 15, 2005

  3. ho72

    BC Guest

    Dear Ho,

    sounds like you have the same S2865 I do.

    if you go to:

    http://www.tyan.com/support/html/video_s2865.html#s2865

    you will see a list of video cards and drivers that have been tested.

    I *think* the column that says every video card is compatible with
    Windows XP-64 is in error--I use an ATI X700/256M, has run rock solid
    stable after BIOS upgrade to 2.01, Windows XP PRo. I use the driver
    that is recommended on the above link. Seems odd that Tyan would be on
    cutting edge of XP-64 drivers--but, I am not sure about that.

    I am also a fan of Matrox video cards, but it looks like the K8E is not
    yet compatible with any of their products. Since Matrox has such a
    small market share, that is not too surprising--it does surprise me that
    the 6600GT is not listed or tested, since it is perhaps the best value
    in a video card for price/performance that is offered right now.

    Good luck,

    BC

    BC, Nov 16, 2005
  4. ho72

    ho72 Guest

    Hi BC,

    I've had a lot of contact with Tyan's tech support over this issue.
    Here is a partial response from the last email:
    under both WinXP and WinXP 64-bit we do not see this as a
    compatiblity issue. Either their is something wrong with the
    motherboard or there is something wrong with your video card. Now
    the warm reboot issue makes no sense to us and outside of the power
    supply we don't have any other suggestions. We used an Antec True
    Power 2.0 solution when we did our tests and it worked like a charm.

    Apparently their list of compatible video cards is not up to date. I
    would like to believe it's a video card problem, but the warm reboot
    thing makes me distrust the mobo.

    ho72, Nov 16, 2005
  5. ho72

    BC Guest

    I've had a lot of contact with Tyan's tech support over this issue.
    Here is a partial response from the last email:

    under both WinXP and WinXP 64-bit we do not see this as a
    compatiblity issue. Either their is something wrong with the
    motherboard or there is something wrong with your video card. Now
    the warm reboot issue makes no sense to us and outside of the power
    supply we don't have any other suggestions. We used an Antec True
    Power 2.0 solution when we did our tests and it worked like a char

    Hi Ho,

    did you see this report this morning on Anandtech?:

    http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=2608

    **********

    Compatibility issue with Tyan boards & Antec PSU's

    Date: November 15th, 2005

    Topic: Motherboard
    Manufacturer: Tyan
    Author: Tuan Nguyen

    For those who are currently in the market for dual Opteron boards and
    are preferring products manufactured by Tyan, be sure to carefully pick
    power supplies with some research before purchase. We have been advised
    that certain Antec power supplies are having issues with the following
    motherboards from Tyan:

    Thunder K8S Pro (S2882)
    Thunder K8SD Pro (S2882-D)
    Thunder K8W (S2885)
    Thunder K8WE (S2895)

    All the above boards are based on AMD's 8000 series chipsets except the
    Thunder K8WE (S2895) which uses NVIDIA's nForce Professional 2200 and
    2050 south bridges.

    The issues that are affecting the above motherboards have to do with a
    power fluctuation on the 12V rail that seems to be occurring only with
    Antec True Power 2 EPS power supplies. The units do not appear to be
    delivering consistent power -- often dropping to as low as 11.3V on the
    12V rail. While some power supply units pass quality control tests
    initially, they end up failing after extended use. Using non-Antec power
    supplies solves the issue and for now we can only recommend that you use
    this work around until an official statement from Antec can be given.
    Tyan motherboards however, have always enjoyed a strong reputation for
    rock-solid stability -- although you may be required to be picky about
    which components you attach to the board.

    Most power supplies have become all but commodity items on the market in
    the recent years but there are still companies out there that produce
    top-quality grade products. With all the newest high drain components
    coming out, the time is approaching again for us to do a power supply
    roundup.

    **********

    The K8E is not on the above list, but, I have noticed with recent high
    end motherboards that a really good power supply is key. (Had problems
    with a Seasonic 430 running an Asus P5WD2--looked OK on paper, and was
    going for "quiet". Ended up with a PC Power and Cooling 510SLI:
    previously flaky board has been perfectly stable since then.

    Power supply I am using has 24/8 pin arrangement: Supermicro:

    450W AC low-noise power supply with redundant cooling feature (with PFC)

    AC Voltage • 100 - 240V, 50/60Hz, 10 Amp

    DC Output • 5V + 3.3V ≤ 160W

    • 12V + 5V + 3.3V ≤ 430W

    +5V • 26 amp

    +5V standby • 2 amp

    -5V • 0.5 amp

    +12V • 30amp

    -12V • 1 amp

    +3.3V • 30 amp

    Perhaps power supply is not up to task?

    BC

    BC, Nov 16, 2005
  6. ho72

    ho72 Guest

    Perhaps power supply is not up to task

    It's on my list of things to check. For the record, I'm using a
    ENERMAX Noisetaker 485W ATX2.0 Model EG495AX-VE

    The computer (sans Matrox) is very stable and has passed all th
    software stress tests (Prime95, MemTest86, S&M). If not for th
    "warm boot, blank screen" thing, I wouldn't think anything wa
    amiss

    Since I'm still under warranty from Monarch, I may just pack up th
    whole thing and let them sort it out

    Thanks for the info

    ho72, Nov 17, 2005
  7. ho72

    ho72 Guest

    RESOLVED: It was my Seagate 7200.9 SATA hard drive. I stripped all m
    hardware out and started adding it back one piece at a time. The las
    thing in was the Seagate drive, and it produced a reboot failure.
    moved it from SATA1 to SATA3 and now the computer reboots normally

    So now, is it Seagate's problem or Tyan's

    ho72, Dec 6, 2005