  1. User N

    User N Guest

    Me thinks that could ruin your day

    User N, Nov 14, 2006

  2. User N

    Tom2000 Guest

    Wow!

    The author's assessment, "...the results are dramatic..." is an
    understatement.

    Thanks for the link. Good find.

    Tom

    Tom2000, Nov 14, 2006

  3. User N

    S.Lewis Guest

    Helpful to know what can possibly be expected and the extent of it. Thanks
    for posting.

    S.Lewis, Nov 14, 2006
  4. As was the narrators deadpan comment "at this point, the best
    strategy is to move away from the computer quickly," made when
    the laptop was just in its initial stages of smoking after the
    first cell went south, before the second cell blew. Despite the
    non-Brit accent, he *must* have had Brit immigrant parents. ;->

    Ogden Johnson III, Nov 14, 2006
  5. User N

    History Guest

    Nice, so how do you put the battery into an unstable state? I want to use
    this as a party trick on my mates laptop.

    History, Nov 15, 2006
  6. User N

    History Guest

    and oh is it a way to get a brand new laptop on insurance?

    History, Nov 15, 2006
  7. User N

    History Guest

    I also saw another video of a battery fire at a chinese conference or
    something anyone got this one from start to finish?

    History, Nov 15, 2006
  8. User N

    paulmd Guest

    If I knew, I don't think I'd tell YOU. Unless you're willing to buy him
    a whole brand new laptop.

    Besides, class D fires are bad. If you put pure lithium in water, you
    get a nasty exothermic chemical reaction. IE, fire gets WORSE if doused
    with water. The reaction is even nastier with sodium, potassium,
    cesium, francium. At least if I remember my High school chemistry (I
    remember the stuff that went BANG, anyway.)

    paulmd, Nov 15, 2006
  9. User N

    S.Lewis Guest

    Not unlike a magnesium fire which I have actually seen on several occasions
    in a local tool/die shop.

    Very nasty indeed. No water. Had to be smothered and choked off from air to
    put it out.

    S.Lewis, Nov 15, 2006