    Quad Q9400, Vista, BR-player,DVD burner, 2 500G HDD). Should I get a
    better PSU and can I put a standard PSU in this Acer Aspire M5641 or do
    they use some proprietary PSU line? TIA.

    Giovanni, Jul 1, 2009

  2. Giovanni

    Giovanni Guest

    They're both 55 nm., according to the site:
    http://www.paradigit.nl/article2.php?group=340&id=3
    So I guess the 'core edition' should or might be better than the
    standard edition. Sounds logical but logic usually isn't a consideration
    in sellers jargon ;^(
    The PSU label states (among a lot of Chinese) 12V1=14.0 A 12V2=15.0A so
    I guess it has 2 12V rails.? Any thoughts on the brand of the PSU; FSP
    group?

    Giovanni, Jul 1, 2009

  3. Giovanni

    Bob Knowlden Guest

    FSP is also known as Fortron.

    They have been highly regarded as a PSU maker for years.

    eVGA requests a PSU that can provide a total of 36A at +12V for their 55 nm
    GTX260 cards. That seems high: if the GTX260 uses the maximum power
    specified for the PCI-E slot (75W) and the two 6 pin power connectors (75W
    each), then it would require less than 19A at 12V. (I hope someone will
    correct me if I've misread the PCI-E spec.) On the other hand, your PSU may
    not give enough margin, particularly if you overclock your CPU. (It has a
    rated TDP of 95W.)

    My inclination is to suggest that you replace the PSU with one with more
    capacity. Check the +12V current available. Poor supplies tend to be weak
    there, even if they claim a high total power capacity. I prefer supplies
    with a single +12V "rail", although that's probably most irrelevant now.
    (Some multiple-rail PSUs used to be wired so that the PCI-E connectors were
    on the same rail. That could lead to too much draw on that rail, causing the
    PSU to shut down under load.)

    I don't know whether Acer uses an industry-standard PSU. I'd guess so. Even
    companies like Dell seem to have moved in that direction for their
    full-sized desktops.

    Bob Knowlden, Jul 2, 2009
  4. Giovanni

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs First of One wrote:
    [snip]
    Yeah, I really wish that they'd label them. I have a PSU with three 18A /
    12V rails and two 6 pin PCIe graphics card connectors. If I hadn't happened
    to read an article somewhere (Xbit / Jonny Guru / Hardware Secrets...?) that
    AcBEL use striped wires on the PCIe connector that has it's own rail I
    wouldn't have known to swap around the connectors I was using.... (Luckilly
    I had way over-specced so it was running OK anyway.)

    If/when I get a new PSU (I'm using laptops a lot these days, they cost less
    to run) it'll be something like a PC Power and Cooling jobbie with one big
    12V rail. I mean, my PSU has three rails but no instructions as to what rail
    is powering what connectors. Not even on their website. Before I swapped
    connectors I might as well have had a 500W PSU instead of a 700W as one rail
    wasn't being utilised at all.

    I actually 'fixed' a friends PC that also had three 12V rails simply by
    swapping connectors on his graphics card. Before that it would crash on
    graphics-intensive stuff. Crazy.

    Cheers,

    ~misfit~, Jul 5, 2009
  5. Giovanni

    Robert Miles Guest

    ..
    That high rating might assume that the GPU is used for constant computation,
    for example for this project:

    http://www.gpugrid.net/

    Robert Miles

    Robert Miles, Jul 6, 2009
  6. Giovanni

    Giovanni Guest

    (sorry for the late reaction, been away for some days)
    Thanks all for the input, not really sure if my doubt of the strength of
    the PSU has abated much but at least now my doubt is underpinned with
    more knowledge which is never a bad thing, eh?

    Giovanni, Jul 8, 2009