Viewing PAL Playstation (One) through ATI All-In-Wonder 128 Pro

Discussion in 'ATI' started by Paul Speller, Jul 11, 2003.

  1. Paul Speller

    Paul Speller Guest

    I've been trying to view a Playstation (an original one, not a newer "PS
    One") through my ATI All-In-Wonder 128 Pro 32MB card here in the UK to
    no avail.

    I have tried just plugging the RF out from the Playstation into the
    aerial socket on the AIW, but when I tune in to it it is very flickery
    and jerky and completely unusable as it is far too distorted and keeps
    disappearing and freezing and all sorts.

    So then I bought a PS -> SCART adapter and tried plugging that in (via a
    SCART to Composite converter I was already using for other things). The
    result was the same unusable picture as before. The sound is fine, by
    the way.

    Also fine, strangely, is the stuff that comes from the Playstation
    itself, before it starts accessing the CD (the Playstation logo etc.).
    This part displays perfectly, as clear as anything, a great picture. But
    as soon as the actual game takes over it goes unviewable again :(

    I tried changing the ATI TV app's Broadcast Standard setting from PAL-I
    to all the others in the list and some of them gave slightly better
    results than others but none was usable.

    Does anyone have any idea what the problem could be and if there is any
    way to fix it?

    Cheers

    Paul

    P.S. Apologies if I don't respond to responses to this for a while - I'm
    just off on holiday. I will read them towards the end of next week
    though, honest!

    Paul Speller, Jul 11, 2003

  2. Paul Speller

    patrickp Guest

    I've had the same problem trying to view the video output from my PSX in my
    VIVO card. The answer seems to be to run it through a VCR: that seems to
    provide a signal a card can read.

    Or you can try using an emulator - my PSX just sits gathering dust now,
    emulation gives better results and is much more fun!

    patrickp

    patrickp, Jul 12, 2003

  3. Paul Speller

    Paul Speller Guest

    Thank you very much for your suggestion. Sadly I just tried this, to no
    avail :( Same problem as before :(

    Anyone else have any workarounds?
    Unfortunately I tried an emulator and it only partly worked. Is there
    any one you would particularly recommend?

    Thanks,

    Paul

    Paul Speller, Jul 17, 2003
  4. Paul Speller

    patrickp Guest

    For fairly low end machines, or if you don't want too much configuration
    hassle, see if you can get a copy of Connectix' old VGS emulator - you could
    try posting a request on alt.binaries.emulators.playstation - but don't ask
    for games there, it's an emu group. It's a good place to ask if you want to
    ask about PSX emus.

    The best PSX emu of all is probably ePSXe, which you can get from
    http://www.epsxe.com/. You'll also need a PSX BIOS, which you can rip
    yourself with a bit of expertise; otherwise google for one: and, although
    ePSXe has its own, you'll probably want to get plugins for video (GPU),
    sound (SPU) and CD. I'd definitely recommend Pete's OpenGL, from
    http://home.t-online.de/home/PeteBernert/ if you're using an ATi card; he's
    recently obtained a 9700 Pro and has started optimising his GPUs that way,
    for a video plugin. For sound there are several you can try; my favourite
    being the Eternal plugin, from http://www1.odn.ne.jp/psx-alternative/. For
    a CD plugin, I think Pete's (it's called the PEOPS plugin now) is the
    guv'nor. You can also use PC gamepads with it, and I believe there are also
    adapters available, or at least schematics for them, to enable you to use
    actual PSX pads.

    But the point about ePSXe is that you need to configure it well to get
    optimum results, which can be far better than a Playstation itself. For
    some people, this may be off-putting; I'd recommend them to use Connectix
    VGS if they can get a copy. But, for me, finding the best plugins and
    optimising your configuration is part of the fun, particularly if your PC is
    not triffically high performance and configuration makes all the difference.

    I don't really think this post is particularly OT, especially since it
    relates to ATi cards anyway, but it's probably best to discuss this subject
    in alt.binaries.emulators.playstation: that's what it's for.

    And, before anyone brings the subject up, emulation is _not_ illegal; it's
    pirating games that is - with the proviso that having a PSX BIOS is not
    necessarily legal and you need it for ePSXe. However, it's perfectly legal
    to rip and use the BIOS from your own PSX, and it's doubtful that having a
    BIOS of the same type as your PSX is (if you own one) would be prosecutable.
    For myself, while I will rip favourite games that I own to ISOs, because
    they work better than CDs (and it's not illegal to backup your software), I
    prefer not to use illegal ISOs or copied CDs.

    patrickp

    patrickp, Jul 17, 2003
  5. Paul Speller

    Paul Speller Guest

    On Thu, 17 Jul 2003 20:05:10 +0100, "patrickp"

    <snip loads of helpful advice>

    Thanks very much - my girlfriend (whose PS it is) is going to spend
    today playing with all the things you've suggested and I'm sure she'll
    get something working after all that advice! Thanks again.

    Paul

    Paul Speller, Jul 18, 2003
  6. Paul Speller

    patrickp Guest

    You're welcome, Paul; like I said, if you need further advice on this, try
    alt.binaries.emulators.playstation. I'm sure you can figure out how to
    unmunge my address, as well. ;-)

    patrickp

    patrickp, Jul 18, 2003