    this.

    Many thanks,

    Doug

    Old Grandpa, Nov 14, 2003

  2. It is quite ok although a bit slow. I am even able to produce bootable floppy
    disks with a USB floppy drive.

    Regards,
    Christoph Gartmann

    Immunbiologie
    Postfach 1169 Internet: [email protected] dot mpg dot de
    D-79011 Freiburg, Germany

    Christoph Gartmann, Nov 14, 2003

  3. Old Grandpa

    Jeffrey Guest

    I use VPC 6.1 w/ Win2000 Pro on a PB G4 Rev A and works fine for the
    tasks that I do. I keep the usage to a minimum though like programs
    online that requires Win versions of IE 5.x. Otherwise, it is a fair
    cost per value.

    Jeffrey, Nov 14, 2003
  4. Old Grandpa

    Bev A. Kupf Guest

    Existing versions of VPC don't work on the G5. And there's no indication
    from Microsoft on when a G5-compatible version will be released.

    Beverly

    Bev A. Kupf, Nov 14, 2003
  5. I appreciate the education of an old Wintel veteran. I have an unused
    version of WinXP Pro, so now I just hope a copy of Virtual PC Mac v6.1
    falls out of the sky. An expensive program to test out whether it
    would work satisfactorily on my friends machine. Too bad, for me, that
    MS doesn't make an eval version available to try before buying.

    Old Grandpa D, Nov 16, 2003
  6. Old Grandpa

    fishfry Guest

    VPC runs extremely slowly on a G3/500, too slowly to use. Also, it does
    not work at all for applications involving sound.

    fishfry, Nov 16, 2003
  7. Old Grandpa

    Wes Groleau Guest

    Is VPC from Microsoft? I thought it was independent.

    Wes Groleau, Nov 16, 2003
  8. It was. The Borg absorbed them a few months back.

    Matthew Russotto, Nov 16, 2003
  9. Old Grandpa

    Wes Groleau Guest

    Oh, great. This means Billy is now losing sleep over
    "Do we keep it so we can sell Windows to Mac users,
    or do we bury it to hurt Apple's desirability?"

    --
    Wes Groleau

    Nobody believes a theoretical analysis -- except the guy who did it.
    Everybody believes an experimental analysis -- except the guy who did it.
    -- Unknown

    Wes Groleau, Nov 17, 2003
  10. Actually MS bought it mostly becasue of it's availablilty to run older
    Winodws Applications on current Windows OS Versions or run Linux apps
    under windows too.

    My theory is that now that MS has VP OS X, it will stop producing all
    Mac OS X products and instead just bundle their Windows versions with
    VP for OS X and call it a "Mac Bundle".

    The net benefit is

    1) they don't have to support the Mac at all except through the VP
    product,
    2) every Mac user will be using Windows XP through VP OS X and this
    will result in a reverse switch to the PC for several reasons
    3) satisfy the government that they still don't have a monolpoly and
    are providing a "means" for people to use thier products
    4) allow them to they can shut down their Mac Bussiness Unit and
    re-direct those resources elsewhere.

    Milton Aupperle, Nov 17, 2003
  11. Old Grandpa

    Bev A. Kupf Guest

    That's an entirely different version of VirtualPC than what Connectix
    had for the Mac. VPC on the PC virtualizes the Pentium processor,
    much like VMware or plex86.
    I really doubt this will happen. They aren't going to take an existing
    code base and throw it away.

    Bev A. Kupf, Nov 17, 2003
  12. Old Grandpa

    Gnarlodious Guest

    Entity Milton Aupperle spoke thus:
    Interesting , but I don't want to run Entourage in XP. Sounds like I might
    start looking for another newsreader.

    -- Gnarlie
    http://www.Gnarlodious.com/Cogent/Cogent.html

    Gnarlodious, Nov 18, 2003
  13. Old Grandpa

    Bev A. Kupf Guest

    Is there even a version of Entourage for XP? Wasn't Entourage a
    Mac-only product from Microsoft?

    Bev A. Kupf, Nov 18, 2003
  14. Old Grandpa

    Bev A. Kupf Guest

    Don't worry Gnarlie -- the odds of Microsoft dropping their Mac
    products (except maybe VPC) is pretty close to non-existent.

    Bev A. Kupf, Nov 18, 2003