    is a limit of the OS or the CPU? Does Vista 64 have this same
    limitation?

    Rick

    rickman, Aug 2, 2008

  2. rickman

    Paul Guest

    Why would anyone own a 64 bit OS, if all they could ever use was
    3GB of RAM ? That would be a pretty significant dis-incentive to
    purchasing a 64 bit OS.

    With the right combination of 64 bit OS, and 64 bit program,
    you can have a process that has access to a lot of RAM. Otherwise,
    if you're reusing mostly old programs, and just seek to bump
    up the physical RAM present, and switch to a 64 bit OS, about
    all you're getting, is the ability to run a lot more processes.
    The programs should be compiled "large address aware", if you
    want to extend their reach.

    "Memory Limits for Windows Releases"
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa366778(VS.85).aspx

    Like so many performance issues, you can never get the info
    you need, from the companies that write the programs. "Pushing
    the envelope", will not be easy.

    Paul

    Paul, Aug 2, 2008