Vista 64-bit won't boot w/ 4GB RAM in Gateway GT5228

Discussion in 'Gateway' started by jhajny, Mar 12, 2007.

  1. jhajny

    jhajny Guest

    I have a Gateway GT5228 AMD64 X2 4200 with 2 GB RAM (PC-4200 533mHz)
    installed. When I add 2 GB (2 sticks) of Kingston RAM (same specs as
    factory), Vista Ultimate (x64) hangs after 10 seconds or so. The
    screen flashes, becomes pixelated, then the machine restarts. I can
    boot and have Vista read all 4 GB in Safe Mode. XP Pro x64 boots and
    reads all 4 GB RAM. SuSE Linux 10.2 boots and reads all 4 GB of RAM.
    It's not a compatibility issue...it's a Vista issue. Has anyone else
    had this problem? Any work arounds?

    Here are the specs of my Gateway GT5228:

    AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 4200+ dual-core processor with AMD64 Technology
    2.2 GHz
    2000 MHz system bus
    L2 cache: 512 KB ×2
    250 GB 7200 RPM Serial ATA II hard drive with 8 MB cache
    Integrated NVIDIA® GeForce® 6100 graphics

    jhajny, Mar 12, 2007

  2. jhajny

    Lee Guest

    jhajny wrote:
    it's a Vista issue. Has anyone else
    I can't say anything for sure but I do know that Gateway is holding
    up some computers for a card/driver issue with Vista you might want
    to call and see if it applies to your machine or whom ever you
    bought it from!

    Lee (in Florida) Still waiting on his machine!

    Lee, Mar 12, 2007