    the card uses 512MB I presume 384MB is taken from my Main Memory.

    Thanks!

    Dan

    Dan Epstein, Nov 6, 2006

  2. Dan Epstein

    Pen Guest

    Yes, the LE supports TurboCache, which is NVIDIA's version of ATI's
    Hyper Memory.
    http://www.nvidia.com/page/turbocache.html

    Pen, Nov 6, 2006

  3. Dan Epstein

    User N Guest

    Currently I see "256MB nVidia Geforce 7300LE TurboCache" listed as
    an option for the XPS 410 and some other systems. The word TurboCache
    means that the card has some onboard memory and in addition to that can
    directly utilize some main memory, and the memory figure they give for such
    boards is normally the total of the two. When you see that word you have to
    look around for footnotes and clarifying verbage. Digging down into the help
    me choose pages for the XPS 410 video card I see verbage that says said
    board has 128MB of onboard memory and can use another 128MB of
    system memory. I'm not sure why you see a report mentioning 512MB.

    FWIW, on an E520 page:

    http://www.dell.com/content/products/features.aspx/cto_dimene520?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs

    the footnote for the same card says 64MB onboard, 192MB from main
    memory. So perhaps there are different variants of that board being used
    by Dell.

    This page appears a little wacked ATM, but you can check out the "adequate
    graphics memory" footnote for "Vista Premium Ready" PCs:

    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/windowsvista/evaluate/hardware/vistarpc.mspx

    Having 256MB would seem to cover the bases for at least non-gaming use,
    and I'm guessing that if the amount of dedicated memory your GPU has meets
    the "adequate graphics memory" requirement for the resolution you'll be running
    at, your GPU may not even dip into main memory or at least not do so under
    many conditions. I'd run the Vista Upgrade Advisor just for fun:

    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/getready/upgradeadvisor/default.mspx

    and see what it says. You could google up benchmarks and compare the
    relative price/performance of the other cards offered with your system. I think
    it frequently the case that, if you think the low-end Dell video card will work for
    you [for awhile], you can get the most out of your money by sticking with the
    low-end card and upgrading down the road when video card prices have fallen
    and your dollar goes farther.

    User N, Nov 6, 2006
  4. Dan Epstein

    Tom Scales Guest

    This is the one area where I believe that Dell is wrong, absolutely wrong.
    If you look at the other major vendors (and I did -- looked at about a dozen
    of them), they would advertise this card as a 128MB card -- what is ON the
    card. The fact that it can be 256MB with system memory added is nice, but
    it is NOT the basic capability of the card. HP, Gateway, etc. publish the
    actual memory on the card.

    Personally, I think this is borderline fraud.

    Tom

    Tom Scales, Nov 6, 2006
  5. Dan Epstein

    Dan Epstein Guest

    Thanks everyone for the info. It appears that my card is using 512 MB
    with only 128MB on board and the rest taken from Main Memory. That's a
    lot of Main Memory to be cannibalized by the card. I would have chosen
    a different option had I known only 128MB was on board.

    To answer your question about where is see 512MB:

    In Properties Settings Advanced.

    Dan Epstein, Nov 8, 2006
  6. Dan Epstein

    User N Guest

    I just googled and I do see some 128MB/512MB 7300 LE boards, so it
    would seem possible. It sucks to be lured into buying something that you
    don't want by creative advertising and inadequate disclosure. But what
    you describe is more than what is so advertized on the current XPS 410
    pages and presumably more than what was advertized at the time you
    purchased, so perhaps you ended up with more than you paid for so
    to speak. Feel better?

    User N, Nov 8, 2006
  7. Dan Epstein

    Dan Epstein Guest

    Are you saying that some 7300 LE cards have 512MB on board? If so, can
    you please provide a link to the reference(s)? I assume I have the
    128MB on board and the rest of the 512MB used by the card is taken from
    main memory, which is certainly not what I planned for when I configured
    the system. Or what exactly do you mean that I might have ended up with
    more than I paid for. I'd love to feel better!

    Dan Epstein, Nov 8, 2006
  8. Dan Epstein

    Dan Epstein Guest

    I just found the following. BTW: does anyone know how to determine how
    much on board memory a graphics card has other than to look up the
    specs?

    from: http://www.nvidia.com/page/7300_faq.html

    Q: What is the physical memory for the GeForce 7300 LE?

    You will see a lot of GeForce 7300 LE-based cards with 128MB of on-board
    memory, supporting 256MB of memory in a 512MB system. You will also see
    GeForce 7300 LE-based cards with 256MB of on-board memory that support
    512MB of memory in a 1GB system.

    Dan Epstein, Nov 8, 2006
  9. Dan Epstein

    User N Guest

    The 128MB/512MB was shorthand for 128MB onboard memory and
    512MB total accessible memory. I've seen things to suggest that the 7300
    LE is available with 64MB, 128MB, or 256MB onboard memory. I've
    yet to see anything to suggest that there is a 512MB onboard variant and
    I'm inclined to doubt that there is. Like I said, if you go to the XPS 410
    customize page there is a help me choose link associated with the video
    card selector, and if you click on it there is a tab that has a footnote for
    that card that says it is 128MB onboard 256MB total. If one buys that
    card in an XPS 410 that is what they would expect to get. You say your
    system is reporting that the card is 128MB onboard 512MB. Perhaps
    you really do have a 128MB/512MB. Then again, perhaps what is being
    reported is incorrect. I've never worked at a system with TurboCache
    card so I'm not familiar with how and where such information is reported.
    I'm sure someone else here is and/or you could always post a screencap.
    My guess would be that you are down in the property tab for the card in
    display settings, said being an interface provided by software included
    in the nVidia ForceWare package. FWIW I believe the latest release
    of that is 93.71.

    User N, Nov 8, 2006
  10. Dan Epstein

    S.Lewis Guest

    An easier solution would be to locate a PCI-express graphics card that
    doesn't rely on system RAM if that's possible.

    I know it's possible on AGP 256mb adapters as I just picked on up recently.

    S.Lewis, Nov 8, 2006
  11. Dan Epstein

    Tom Scales Guest

    Or just not worry about it. The 7300LE is OK unless you're a gamer. If it
    ain't broke,....

    Tom Scales, Nov 8, 2006
  12. Dan Epstein

    Dan Epstein Guest

    So the card I got is not the one I chose in the link.
    No I did not say that. Under the Adapter tab, the following is
    reported:

    Memory Size 512 MB
    Yeah, I installed the latest drivers. Doesn't solve the mystery though.

    BTW: Adapter tab reports:

    Adapter Type
    NVIDIA GeForce 7300 LE

    Adapter Information
    Chip Type: GeForce 7300 LE
    DAC Type: Integrated RAMDAC
    Memory Size: 512 MB
    Adapter String: Geforce 7300 LE
    Bios Information: Version 5.72.22.49.09

    If anyone knows how to determine on board memory, please fess up!

    Thanks,Dan

    Dan Epstein, Nov 8, 2006
  13. Dan Epstein

    Jay B Guest

    have you run everest on it?
    that should tell you everything about that card.

    Jay B, Nov 8, 2006
  14. Dan Epstein

    Dan Epstein Guest

    Actually, I just ran it and it does not have a separate breakdown for on
    board memory. It reports 512MB:

    Video Adapter NVIDIA GeForce 7300 LE (512 MB)

    There are some shared memory addresses associated with the card, in hex.
    I suppose I could add them up and see if it comes to 256 or 384.

    More from this tool:

    [ NVIDIA GeForce 7300 LE ]

    Video Adapter Properties:
    Device Description NVIDIA GeForce 7300 LE
    Adapter String GeForce 7300 LE
    BIOS String Version 5.72.22.49.09
    Chip Type GeForce 7300 LE
    DAC Type Integrated RAMDAC
    Installed Drivers nv4_disp (6.14.10.9371 - nVIDIA ForceWare 93.71)
    Memory Size 512 MB

    [ Display adapters / NVIDIA GeForce 7300 LE ]

    Device Properties:
    Driver Description NVIDIA GeForce 7300 LE
    Driver Date 10/22/2006
    Driver Version 6.14.10.9371
    Driver Provider NVIDIA
    INF File oem29.inf
    Hardware ID PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_01D1&SUBSYS_04051028&REV_A1
    Location Information PCI bus 1, device 0, function 0
    PCI Device nVIDIA G72 Video Adapter

    Device Resources:
    IRQ 16
    Memory 000A0000-000BFFFF
    Memory C0000000-CFFFFFFF
    Memory DD000000-DDFFFFFF
    Memory DE000000-DEFFFFFF
    Port 03B0-03BB
    Port 03C0-03DF

    Dan Epstein, Nov 8, 2006
  15. Dan Epstein

    S.Lewis Guest

    True enough and maybe the best solution of all.

    S.Lewis, Nov 8, 2006
  16. Dan Epstein

    Dan Epstein Guest

    I called Dell and after approx. 2 hours on the phone they offered me
    the ATI X1300 Pro 256MB instead of the 256MB PCI Express NVIDIA
    GeForce 7300LE.

    Should I accept the offer? Or demand a different resolution? I have 21
    days from shipment to return the system (I was told they changed return
    policy from 30 days to 21 days recently). Dell does not want me to
    utilize that option (neither do I). But I might.

    So far that ATI card is the best they offered, after talking with 4
    different Dell people and spending about 2 hours on the phone.

    I am just appalled that DELL would so deceptively push a card, claiming
    256MB, while not stating anywhere even in footnotes about the 384MB main
    memory locked up. And they are very reluctant to correct the situation
    to my satisfaction, and this after hours of discussion, being moved from
    one phone bank to the next, explaining the problem from scratch each
    time, etc.. This card should be advertised as a 512MB card with only
    128MB on board memory and the rest consisting of 384 MB of "shared
    memory." They would then have to offer a more reasonably priced
    alternative than is currently offered with the 4 card one can chose when
    configuring a Dim 9200/XPS 410. The next one up from the ATI X1300 Pro
    256MB and the 256MB PCI Express NVIDIA GeForce 7300LE adds a whopping
    $200 to the price of the system.

    I recall reading that this ATI card also has a "turbocache" and
    canibalizes main memory. How much I have no idea. Anyone know?

    Dan

    Dan Epstein, Nov 10, 2006
  17. Dan Epstein

    Tom Scales Guest

    In reading ATI's site, the X1300 appears to have Hypermemory. In other
    words, it doesn't have 256MB either. See if they'll go for a nVidia 7600
    or ATI 1400. That should solve the problem, but they'll likely want more
    money.

    Another option is to go the other way and have them give you the bottom end
    card and a $200 refund. Add $6 and buy a nice 7800GS from Newegg.

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814143046

    Or just don't worry about it and enjoy the 7300. You'll likely never notice
    the difference.

    Tom

    Tom Scales, Nov 10, 2006