vista and fujitsu 1510D - and fujitsu upgrades.

Discussion in 'Tablet PC' started by strider7, Jan 9, 2006.

  1. strider7

    strider7 Guest

    i've been doing research and like a smaller tablet (no slate). i am a
    professional (that doesn't like to use the capital key) and a student.
    i have tried the toshiba and gateway 14 inch. i am salivating over a
    fujitsu 1510D. i have accepted spending three grand total ( with a
    three year screen protection) is going to run towards. what i do mind
    - is peace of mind - that microsoft vista will work with a 4200 rpm
    machine. what do i need at a minimum - for it to forseeably work with
    vista. i understand that there are no guarantees. i will be using the
    tablet daily for the next 2.5 years - at a minimum. the only other
    tablet in that neighborhood of size is an HP 1100 - and i think that HP
    makes a great printer - but ...

    the second question - concerns the ability to upgrade the machine at a
    later date. will i be able to go to a fijitsu approved service person
    and get the puter updated? what has your experience been with that?

    thank you for your guidance.

    your guidance is appreciated.

    strider7, Jan 9, 2006

  2. strider7

    Chris H. Guest

    The main drawback (so far) of forecasting the hardware requirements for
    Vista machines is strong graphics capabilities for the "full" experience.
    Not having seen a touch screen machine like Fujitsu's 1510D with Vista on it
    yet, I can only relate to the digital side of the picture.

    I might also suggest you look into how much RAM the machine will contain,
    and plan to expand whatever may be offered in the stock model. Running a
    gig or more will do you very well. However, the $3,000 (is that US?)
    threshold seems a bit high with initial pricing about half that, considering
    pricing on some real workhorses like the Toshiba M200. From what I've seen,
    Fujitsu is asking about $950 to boost the RAM from the initial 256 MB
    (unacceptable for a Tablet, BTW) to a gig. Much better prices are available
    from such after-market retailers like crucial.com.

    Chris H., Jan 9, 2006

  3. strider7

    John B Guest

    John B, Jan 10, 2006
  4. strider7

    strider7 Guest

    thanks all - i bought the hp1100 and THANKFULLY didn't open the box -
    cause i found out that they are discontinuing the model. i ordered the
    fujitsu. it should be arriving tomorrow. i am excited but i can tell
    you that trying to buy one has not been a fun experience. good message
    board recommendation - some of my new tribe :')

    strider7, Jan 10, 2006
  5. I've tried current a Vista build on P1510 and it runs fine, except that the
    touch panel drivers are not working in that release. But that's a temporary
    thing. Feel comfortable and being able to upgrade to Vista Final once
    released (or download a public Beta once available later this quarter -
    after having done a solid backup ;-). I'm pretty sure Fujitsu will have
    Vista drivers for you (though maybe not at Vista launch date).

    Just save money for RAM upgrades.
    Enjoy that great device.

    Mit besten Gruessen - Best wishes
    Stefen Niemeyer