Vista and Graphics - Is Matrox really that good for text? - Please enlighten me

Discussion in 'Matrox' started by John Smith, Jan 1, 2007.

  1. John Smith

    John Smith Guest

    I have been using Matrox cards since the early 1990s. My sole reason is
    their superlative text quality.

    I just built a new PC based on the PCI-e spec running Windows Vista. I have
    Vista Enterprise thru my company.

    Because I wanted to run the Vista Aero color scheme, I opted for a card that
    has 256 mb of memory - an excellent card from Gigabyte that uses the NVidia
    7600GT engine.

    I can only say that compared w/my Matrox 650 and before that 550 and before
    that 450 and before that the Mystique, the text on this card is blurry. Its
    not even close. The only way is was even marginally acceptable was to turn
    on cleartype which I have always disliked.

    I just don't get it especially since the Matrix 650 PCIe card w/128mb is
    based on the NVIDIA GeForce 7800 GT chipset (according to CNet).

    Am I imagining things here. I am not a gamer. I work primarly w/office
    applications. This is disappointing.

    One final thing - in MSOutlook, there is now a 1/2 second hesitation w/html
    graphics are rendered. Prior to this w/my old PC, which was a very fast AMD
    dual core machine, you never say any rendering - the image graphics
    displayed instantaneously. This is annoying as well.

    Any thoughts?

    Why is Matrox shutting down their forums?

    John Smith, Jan 1, 2007