    reviews of this technology, but lots of news about the new drives hitting
    the market.

    Richard.

    Richard, Mar 29, 2007

  2. Richard

    milsabords Guest

    AFAIK hybrid HD combine classic technology and flash memory. Am I wrong ?

    milsabords, Mar 29, 2007

  3. Richard

    Allan Guest

    Conventional hard disks already have some flash memory, I believe, but
    the proposal with hybrid drives is to increase the flash component
    considerably, for faster booting and reduced power consumption.
    However, it looks as though Lenovo won't be rushing into this one:

    http://www.lenovoblogs.com/insidethebox/?p=46

    Meanwhile, entire flash drive replacements for hard drives are already
    in production, but not available to the likes of us. It strikes me
    that these disks, which typically have a capacity of 32 GB or 64 GB,
    might have been tolderable in the days of XP, but with Vista will
    probably soon fill. All the same, people say they bring significant
    performance benefits, and I'd love to get my hands on one.

    Allan, Mar 29, 2007
  4. Richard

    Kevin Weaver Guest

    Are you talking about ReadyBoost ? If so, It's using a USB Thumb drive
    as more memory for the system.
    I've Installed it. But it only works with some USB Thumb drives not all.

    It works, No numbers to show how much. But It's always accessing that
    drive by the light flashing.
    I have a 1mb being used. Out of 4 that I own only 2 would be seen to be
    used. It will test it before giving the ok for it to be used. I'm trying
    it to see how long it's going to last before it dies.

    A friend uses a 4 gb one and tells me that he can see a big Improvement.
    YMMV

    Kevin Weaver, Mar 29, 2007
  5. Conventional hard drives have some DRAM, it's not flash memory (e.g. it
    forgets when the power is turned off). Hybrid drives have Flash, which
    allows the hard drive to begin booting before the platters have finished
    spinning up, and to reduce power consumption (and, perhaps, to increase
    speed).

    Barry Watzman, Mar 29, 2007
  6. No, hybrid drives are distinct from ReadyBoost

    Barry Watzman, Mar 29, 2007