    Bone Guest

    Anyone attempted to do a clean install using the Dell Vista Business upgrade
    DVD?

    Bone, Jun 30, 2007

  2. Bone

    Tom Scales Guest

    Yes, and it works, but there is a trick to it.

    First install it to a clean hard drive, but do NOT give it the product
    key. It will ask you which version to install. Make sure you pick Vista
    Business. It will install in 30-day trial mode. Do NOT activate it.

    Then, from Windows Vista, run the install again and this time DO give it
    the product key. It will recognize that it is doing a valid upgrade
    (Vista upgrades Vista). You can then activate it.

    Works just fine.

    Tom

    Tom Scales, Jun 30, 2007

  3. Bone

    Kevin M. Guest

    Tom, will this work on a dual boot (XP/Vista)?

    Thanks

    Kevin M., Jul 1, 2007
  4. Bone

    Journey Guest

    This is _very_ helpful. I'm surprised that Dell doesn't document it
    better. Or, do they want someone to install over XP? That would be a
    pain, seems like it would leave a lot of junk on the system.

    Journey, Jul 1, 2007
  5. Bone

    Bone Guest

    Tom - I tried that procedure however on the 2nd boot, it would not allow me
    to enter the product key code.So I clicked cancel and the system booted on
    up. There must be an option somewhere to del the partition, FYI, these are
    the procedures I tried, http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=5932

    On a side note, there no burner software I saw so I had Dell send me the
    Sonic DE version. Works fine after you install the patch from Roxio.

    Bone, Jul 1, 2007
  6. Bone

    Star Guest

    Tom, Bone (or anybody else)

    INFO Only:

    I have used the clean install method before several times but using
    the retail Upgrade version Vista Home Premium and Vista Ultimate not
    the Dell supplied DVD. I found that unlike other versions of windows
    it would not install to a clean HDD.
    One MB was an Intel DG965OT (similar to the Dell 520) and I was using
    the Intel Matrix Raid Array.
    Set up the array using the BIOS so had the partitions which were of
    course unformatted and not set active. When I fed the installation
    program the Raid driver diskette setup found the correct driver but
    told me it could not find any compatible hardware.
    I loaded my old Partition Magic (8) and formatted and set the
    partition active and all went as planned.
    I have had to do this on several different brands of MB.
    Creating the partition and setting it active was not necessary on a
    machine with just a standard HDD (PATA or SATA) only the machines
    using Raid Array.

    Art

    Star, Jul 1, 2007
  7. Bone

    Star Guest

    Dell will not document it because it is not a valid method and not
    sanctioned by MS so will not/can not be sanctioned by Dell.
    It is something that slipped through the crack when MS was writing the
    setup scripts.

    Art

    Star, Jul 1, 2007
  8. Bone

    Tom Scales Guest

    Dual boot is even easier. You need an empty partition or hard drive.
    Boot XP. Insert the Vista disk. When the install program runs under
    XP, install to the empty partition/drive. Vista will setup a dual boot
    menu.

    Only one install :)

    You HAVE to install Vista from within XP to get dual boot.

    There is a bug with restore points, so you're essentially running bare
    on restore points. I believe Barry has a work around, but I don't know
    it.

    Tom Scales, Jul 1, 2007
  9. Bone

    Tom Scales Guest

    The second time did you run the install from WITHIN Windows? You have
    to.

    If it doesn't let you enter it, you should be able to finish the install
    and then it will prompt you when you activate.

    Tom Scales, Jul 1, 2007
  10. Bone

    Tom Scales Guest

    Empty hard drive worked fine for me, but I used the Dell disk which, I
    suspect, has all the right hard drive drivers slipstreamed.

    Tom Scales, Jul 1, 2007
  11. Re: "Dell will not document it because it is not a valid method and not
    sanctioned by MS"

    There is both question and ongoing debate about Microsoft's position here.

    Microsoft wrote the code that allows this; by some reports, it was
    intentional. The method has been known and publicized on the web for
    some time now (since about March or April). Microsoft has not commented
    either way. They have not said that it's invalid, neither have they
    given it a clean bill of health.

    Barry Watzman, Jul 1, 2007