Vista Compatibility

Discussion in 'Motherboards' started by William C. Smith, Jan 27, 2008.

  1. Does anyone know of companies that make an Intel 5400 chipset(seaberg) main
    board that is approved by Vista?

    William C. Smith, Jan 27, 2008

  2. William C. Smith

    Paul Guest

    Paul, Jan 27, 2008

  3. William C. Smith, Jan 27, 2008
  4. William C. Smith

    Paul Guest

    Pricewatch lists a 5482 quad core 3.2GHz/FSB1600/12MB processor for
    $1380. Checking the actual supplier's page shows no sign of it. The 3.4GHz
    processor listed on processorfinder, is a dual core, which I presume you
    don't want. So it is possible you might not be able to get the processor
    you want (unless you have connections).

    http://processorfinder.intel.com/List.aspx?ProcFam=528

    Also, download the manual for the motherboard, and for the 5400 chipset
    from Intel. There is a relationship between FSB choice and memory
    choices. FSB1600 allows FBDIMMs at DDR2-667 and DDR2-800. The DDR2-667
    may make sense, but I'd try pricing the DDR2-800 and see if the
    price is astronomical or not. FBDIMMs in the past, ran pretty warm,
    and I understand later generations have improved on that. Pushing to
    DDR2-800 probably doesn't help matters, so you may want to read a bit
    about people's experiences with it. Judging by the Intel datasheet for
    the 5400, it almost looks like FSB1600 was an afterthought, as not all
    the text integrates that operating speed in the descriptions.

    For more help, I recommend two sources -

    1) See if Tyan has a pre-sales contact. The info on the web site looks
    a bit preliminary, and it is possible the OS table will have more entries
    as time passes. You can also check the drivers yourself, to see if
    Vista can be shoehorned on there. The speed of the FSB shouldn't affect
    Vista, but the addition of a different set of peripheral chips may alter
    the supported OS list. (Each of the different Tyan offerings could have
    different peripherals chips used, and not all would have the same
    driver coverage.)

    2) Sign up at forums.2cpu.com . People there build server systems for
    fun and profit. They even overclock some of them. The latest processors
    may have already been evaluated there, or there might be some ideas as
    to what big company is eating the supply of the desirable processors.

    Have fun,
    Paul

    Paul, Jan 27, 2008