    sucks for DVD and video streaming. As Windows 98SE and Windows XP blows
    Windows 2000 away in this regard even on the same machines. Almost
    nobody tells you this at all. Why is that?

    BillW50, Nov 6, 2006

  2. robert

    BillW50 Guest

    It had taken me 4 years after Windows XP was out before I upgraded to
    it. So I probably won't be running Vista until 2010. By then they will
    have really cool computers out anyway. ;)

    BillW50, Nov 6, 2006

  3. If a user WANTS dual boot (both XP AND Vista on the same machine), the
    thing to do is to buy NOW, which is the only way to get both without
    paying twice. And given what's going on with Vista, I would say that
    most users would be nuts NOT to install dual boot, at least for the next
    6 months or so.

    Barry Watzman, Nov 6, 2006
  4. Fine, and it will run Vista. But there will come a time when you will
    probably want (or need) Vista, and wouldn't it be better to get it for
    free than to have to pay $100 to $400 for it?

    Barry Watzman, Nov 6, 2006
  5. robert

    BillW50 Guest

    Sure I will pay $100 to $400 dollars for a new laptop with Vista
    installed. But I was thinking when the time comes, I'll spend about $600
    for a new laptop with Vista already installed. ;)

    BillW50, Nov 6, 2006
  6. robert

    BillW50 Guest

    I think it is nuts wanting Vista anyway. Whether dual-boot or not. ;)

    BillW50, Nov 6, 2006
  7. No, I meant $100 to $400 JUST for Vista; not for a laptop with Vista.
    Or, alternatively, if you want dual boot and buy a laptop that comes
    preloaded with Vista, $100 or so for XP (if you can still find a copy of
    XP).

    Barry Watzman, Nov 7, 2006
  8. That may seem to make sense now, but in 2 to 4 years it won't. People
    said the same thing when XP came out.

    Barry Watzman, Nov 7, 2006
  9. robert

    Doug Jacobs Guest

    One way Microsoft is forcing people to upgrade is by only releasing
    DirectX 10 for Vista. This means that any game that needs DX10 support,
    is going to require Vista. Microsoft is also trying to pressure companies
    to upgrade to DX10 as a way to help force gamers to upgrade as well.

    However, between this "forced" upgrade, and the DRM in today's games and
    in Vista, many gamers are just about ready to give up the PC altogether
    and just buy an Xbox (which actually helps Microsoft as well...)

    Doug Jacobs, Nov 7, 2006
  10. Again, the issue isn't the processor, as any processor made and used in
    a new production laptop during 2006 (or even 2005) is adequate to run
    any version of Vista.

    The real issue is video. If buying a new system, you want to get a
    system that is at least capable of running Aero Glass. Unfortunately,
    there is some ambiguity right now as to exactly which systems will and
    will not run this. For example:

    -The Vista upgrade advisor originally said that Intel GMA900 would run
    Aero (when the upgrade advisor itself was run on a system with GMA900).
    Then MS and Intel reversed course and said it wouldn't, because
    neither of them would write a WDDM driver for GMA900. Then reportely, 3
    weeks ago, Intel changed course again and would do the driver, but
    "later". However, that report itself is unconfirmed and looks to
    perhaps not be correct.

    -There is, similarly, a degree of Ambiguity about the later Intel GMA950
    (but this looks more promising). Aero/Glass actually ran on GMA950 in
    the early beta versions of vista, then stopped running on the last beta
    and RC1 and RC2. And now it's unclear if it will run on the RTM version
    or not.

    -And there is even confustion about the ATI X1300 video chip in laptops.
    Dell gives a compatability warning if the X1300 is ordered with Vista

    Barry Watzman, Nov 8, 2006