    What does VIVO stand for and what does it mean?
    eg. VGA SAPPHIRE ATI Radeon9200 128 bit, (VIVO), 250 MHz, 128 MB

    Thanks.

    Luka, Jul 1, 2004

  2. Luka

    Andrew Guest

    I believe its Video In, Video Out.

    Andrew, Jul 1, 2004

  3. Yup!
    so what does that mean anyway? I'm assuming it has *extra* sockets on the
    back to connect to your VCR. I have a Sapphire 9800 and that has 1x D-Sub,
    1x DVI and 1x small round connector? I thought this enabled me to connect to
    a TV or Video also, so now I am wondering what VIVO offers on top of this?
    (connect to TV and Video at the same time?).

    Wayne Youngman, Jul 1, 2004
  4. Luka

    Diskhead Guest

    Video out is for connecting to a TV so you can display your computer
    screen on a TV, Video in can be used to connect a Video camera, VCR
    etc. to display on your computer screen.

    Diskhead, Jul 1, 2004
  5. Luka

    patrickp Guest

    And capture, of course.

    patrickp

    - take five to email me

    patrickp, Jul 1, 2004
  6. Luka

    John Lewis Guest

    'Viideo In' only captures Video. The audio needs to be captured
    by your sound card. And a suitable application to tie them together.
    Pretty cheesy. You will probably find programs that support
    this dual- function on the shelves at CompUSA, or maybe
    packaged with the retail version of the video card.

    For good quality, you need a dedicated analog capture card
    from outfits with a pro-video background such as Pinnacle
    or Matrox. Not horribly expensive. Pinnacle Studio 9 AV/DV
    including all sofware and supporting both digital and
    analog video capture is ~ $149.

    John Lewis

    John Lewis, Jul 2, 2004
  7. Luka

    patrickp Guest

    But the Video In doesn't do the capture: a capture app does. And all
    apps that do capture should capture the sound from the sound card
    along with the video from the VIVO card just as well as they will for
    the audio and video from an AIW. Even M$' AMCAP does. A VIVO
    actually captures just as well as an AIW - I've had both, and each
    works just as well, _including_ audio.

    Certainly, you should get better results from a dedicated capture
    card, but that isn't the point. A VIVO card _will_ work perfectly
    well for capture, including audio, and just as well as an AIW.

    Additionally, VIVOs generally handle all video formats, whereas AIWs
    are usually region linked and either NTSC only or PAL/SECAM only.

    If you're using a direct feed from an aerial or cable with tuneable
    stations, the tuner capability of an AIW can be an asset (although
    direct composite or S-video input from an external, higher quality
    tuner can provide better picture quality), but if your source is a VCR
    or a cable box providing an output on one channel only, the AIW tuner
    is superfluous and the VIVO is a better option.

    VIVOs don't, however, usually seem to handle teletext. They are, of
    course, cheaper than AIWs and should be of equivalent quality, so your
    choice is really down to whether you want tuner capability. Or
    whether you want to shell out extra for a dedicated capture card.

    patrickp

    - take five to email me

    patrickp, Jul 3, 2004