    how key the software was to watching a dvd on my system. I'm using os
    10.6.8

    John

    M. John Matlaw, Nov 30, 2011

  2. M. John Matlaw

    Gerry Guest

    Where did you here this? I use the Mac DVD player to play DVDs in my
    external drive all the time.

    Gerry, Nov 30, 2011

  3. I'm sorry. I reviewed the owc site (
    http://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/DDAMBS0GB/ ) which says:

    "( NOTE: Apple's DVD Player application only works with an internal
    optical drive or Apple's external SuperDrive. To play DVDs with your
    removed optical drive after installing it in an external enclosure such
    as the OWC SuperSlim, we recommend the free VLC Player, which can be
    downloaded from http://www.videolan.org/vlc/ )"

    So the issue is just with using the former internal drive housed in an
    external case. The Optibay folks say they wrote their own code. Would
    I be right in assuming that an Apple external optical drive can be a
    boot device using the system install DVD?

    Sorry for not reading the owc thing more closely.

    M. John Matlaw, Dec 1, 2011
  4. M. John Matlaw

    Jim Janney Guest

    I think DVD Player is better at handling bookmarks and remembering where
    you last were in a DVD, if that matters to you. But VLC is free, so why
    not just download it and decide for yourself?

    Jim Janney, Dec 1, 2011
  5. Sadly, the frequency with which I miss the obvious seems to be
    increasing. Thanks

    M. John Matlaw, Dec 1, 2011
  6. M. John Matlaw

    Suze Guest

    Second that, VLC plays just about everything!

    Suze, Dec 2, 2011