    [ ] Philips TriMedia

    Thanks in advance,

    Michele

    Michele Russo, Jun 19, 2006

  2. Michele Russo

    CBFalconer Guest

    You omitted your instructors email address.

    CBFalconer, Jun 19, 2006

  3. No. I'm an assistant researcher. A reviewer of a paper of mine said that
    "the processors listed above are not actually ASIPs."

    I would like to know your opinion about that.

    Regards,

    Michele

    Michele Russo, Jun 19, 2006
  4. Michele Russo

    Jim Stewart Guest

    Please do your own homework.

    Jim Stewart, Jun 19, 2006
  5. Michele Russo

    CBFalconer Guest

    My opinion is that you are still trying to get out of homework, and
    your instructor marked you down for faking an earlier paper.

    CBFalconer, Jun 19, 2006
  6. Thank you very much fou your kindly answer. Your comments are very useful!

    Michele Russo, Jun 20, 2006
  7. It is a pity that nobody in this ng is able to reply to this question.

    At any rate I adjure that I'm not a student!

    Regards,

    Michele

    Michele Russo, Jun 20, 2006
  8. That's because you didn't give enough information to answer it.
    For example, what definition of VLIW do you use in your paper?
    It is clear that Multiflow was a VLIW (28 instructions per cycle),
    but when does a LIW become a VLIW (or EPIC for that matter)?

    If you can also tell us how wide each the above architectures are,
    we will have enough information to answer your question.

    Wilco

    Wilco Dijkstra, Jun 20, 2006
  9. Thank you very much. My paper is about design space exploration of VLIW
    architectures for embedded systems. In the related section of my paper,
    I would like to present a list of commercial VLIW targeted for embedded
    system which can be also classified as ASIP. I'm not sure that the
    aforementioned VLIWs can be classified as ASIPs and for this reason I
    wrote to this ng.

    More precisaly this is the sentence I wrote in my paper:

    ASIP based on \emph{Very Long Instruction Word} (VLIW)
    architectures~\cite{fisher_isca83} are emerging in the embedded
    domain, especially for multimedia and communication
    appplications. Examples include the TI C6x family, the Agere/Motorola
    StarCore architecture, Sun's MAJC, Fujitsu's FR-V, ST's HP/ST Lx,
    Philips' TriMedia. Architectures based on VLIW processors are
    currently seen as answering the demand for modern, increasingly
    complex embedded multimedia applications, given their capacity to
    exploit high levels of performance while maintaining a reasonable
    trade-off between hardware complexity, cost and power consumption.

    A reviewer of the paper states that "My understanding is that the
    processors listed on page 2 are not actually ASIPs."

    What do you think?

    Regards,

    Michele

    Michele Russo, Jun 20, 2006
  10. I'm not convinced the architectures you mentioned can all be categorized
    as VLIW in the first place. For example calling 64-bit instruction packets
    VLIW is a bit of a stretch.
    But what about codesize?
    If you use a wide definition then most of them are not ASIP as they
    were intended as general purpose CPUs geared towards DSP.
    With a narrow definition obviously none are ASIPs. Crusoe is a good
    example of a ASIP VLIW.

    Wilco

    Wilco Dijkstra, Jun 20, 2006