Vostro 1000 laptop

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Colin Wilson, Feb 6, 2008.

  1. Colin Wilson

    Colin Wilson Guest

    Hopefully I haven't lead a colleague on a bum steer, but they recently
    bought a "new" Vista restricted laptop from a UK shop, PC World.

    It turned out it wasn't new at all, and was a customer return (they're
    well known for that sort of behaviour, passing off second hand
    products as new) - they only found out tonight, having waited for a
    friend to come around for two weeks to set it up for them. There were
    files going back to September last year, and the networking was
    phucked...

    Anyway...

    I happened to point them to the dmxdimension site, and since their use
    will be fairly strictly limited to email and web surfing, I spotted a
    Vostro 1000 with XP Pro, 120Gb HD, 2Gb RAM with Turion processor for
    ~£150 less than they paid for the "new" one (comes in at around £330 I
    think - even with the biggest battery option available for it)

    I strongly suspect they'll be buying it tonight due to an "£80 off"
    and "free delivery" offer that ends today :-}

    Are there any major gotchas with these ?

    Weight shouldn't be an issue, nor should portability - it'll be for
    household use only so they can go online away from the kids.

    TIA :)

    Colin Wilson, Feb 6, 2008

  2. Colin Wilson

    Ron Hardin Guest

    I'd guess it's about half as fast as a Vostro 1400 or 1500
    on RAM and cpu intensive jobs (not that these are normal,
    just what I know), owing to a tiny cache of 512kb instead of
    2mb. Anyway the Inspiron 1501 is half as fast, with the
    AMD cpu, as the core 2 duo.

    Ron Hardin, Feb 6, 2008

  3. Colin Wilson

    S.Lewis Guest

    The Vostro 1000 does, in fact, appear to be virtually identical to the
    Inspiron 1501 except with a black exterior rather than the 1501's
    white/silver plastics.

    So long as everyone who's buying it/using it understands that it's a basic
    budget notebook and sets their expectations accordingly..........then I
    guess it would be fine for basic internet/email/browsing.

    S.Lewis, Feb 6, 2008
  4. Colin Wilson

    Colin Wilson Guest

    The Vostro 1000 does, in fact, appear to be virtually identical to the
    Given that the "new" machine they were supposed to have had was
    apparently similarly specified but ran^H^Hcrawled Vista :-} (I think
    the one they were returning was a celeron)

    Either way, I suppose i'm off the hook to some extent if it all goes
    belly up, as they'll have had their other mate checking the specs out
    prior to ordering it.

    Colin Wilson, Feb 7, 2008
  5. Colin Wilson

    S.Lewis Guest

    As long as you're covered, and as long as they know what to
    expect............go for it.

    S.Lewis, Feb 7, 2008
  6. the vostros 1000 is not a terrible laptop but has a couple of major
    disadvantages vs the 1400 or 1500.
    the performance is fine, but the build quality is not as good, and the
    standard battery only last for 1/2 hour.
    if performance is something that is important to you the the 1400 or 1500
    are better choices. don't get me wrong, the performance of the 1000 is
    certainly fast enough for basic office type applications, but if you are a
    gamer you will be disappointed.
    the build quality is not so good. so if you are rough on machines or intend
    to travel with it a lot then it isn't a good choice.
    but the most glaring problem with the 1000 is the miserable sub 1/2 hour
    battery life. the higher capacity was not an option on the configuration
    page for a sale price machine i had recently looked at and a new high
    capacity battery cost over $165usd or more than a third of the cost of the
    hole laptop. add the cost of the long life batter to the sale price of the
    1000 and you could have bought a 1400 or 1500 instead.

    in message Hopefully I haven't lead a colleague on a bum steer, but they recently

    Christopher Muto, Feb 7, 2008