Vostro 1500 4GB

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Ron Hardin, Aug 13, 2007.

  1. Ron Hardin

    Ron Hardin Guest

    Vostro 1500 (XP Home) came, system reports 3.75GB RAM Physical Address Extension, so you
    can apparently use almost all the 4gb if you order it.

    I don't like the desktop screen. Where is the old Dell desktop kept, on older
    XP systems? I'll move it over from the Inspiron 1200 if I can find it.

    There's a little more HD free, there being no CP/M partition (good for about 3GB).

    They charge $15 each for not loading online archiving, and not loading Dell Support.
    On the other hand, there was no junkware at all to uninstall except Media Direct.

    It comes with a hard copy (soft cover) owners' manual.

    It will take a day to set it up, including the 15 hours downloading windows updates,
    and real player.

    It looks like a nice enough machine. Seems very heavy. I don't think you'd want
    to carry it around.

    Ordered July 29, came just now.

    Ron Hardin, Aug 13, 2007

  2. Ron Hardin

    Ron Hardin Guest

    more observations...

    Gone is the fn/f2 wireless switch. Instead it's an actual switch on the left side.

    fn/f10 CD eject label is gone but the key still works.

    Ron Hardin, Aug 13, 2007

  3. Try looking here for one that you like..
    http://www.bay-wolf.com/wpview.htm

    Timothy Drouillard, Aug 13, 2007
  4. Ron Hardin

    me Guest

    really?!

    Its a 15.4 inch correct/

    and heavy enough to be problematic?

    me, Aug 13, 2007
  5. Ron Hardin

    Notan Guest

    Here we go, again.

    "Problematic" is subjective.

    Carry something around, of the same weight, and see if it's problematic for *YOU*!

    Notan, Aug 13, 2007
  6. Ron Hardin

    Ron Hardin Guest

    The Dell desktop (blue chips with Dell written on it) is in C:/WINDOWS/Dell.bmp

    Just copy it over from another laptop that has it, and it appears in the Display/Desktop
    selections on your Vostro.

    Ron Hardin, Aug 13, 2007
  7. Ron Hardin

    Ron Hardin Guest

    I don't know. It just struck me as heavy. I think you'd notice pretty fast that it's
    in your backpack.

    Ron Hardin, Aug 13, 2007
  8. Ron Hardin

    Journey Guest

    For me, whether something is "heavy" depends on what I am using it for
    and my activity level. Carrying a laptop around campus is different
    than going a short distance from a car to a meeting in a nearby
    building.

    Also, my perception of heavy depended on how the backpack carried the
    load, and whether I had books or other heavy things in the backpack.

    With that in mind, an Inspiron 6000, 1500, 6400 by itself is fine for
    most of my activities.

    The 630m / 640m / 1405 was fine even though I don't like the build
    quality.

    If I were a student, I would definitely want a XPS M1210 or the new
    13" one, unless I needed more screen real estate.

    Journey, Aug 13, 2007
  9. Ron Hardin

    me Guest

    What abt new 1420 or Vostro 14" laptop tho?
    me too but pricey!!

    me, Aug 14, 2007