    Moonshine Guest

    looking for xp pro drivers

    found a few on dell but need audio /video

    Moonshine, Sep 28, 2007

  2. Christopher Muto, Sep 28, 2007

  3. Moonshine

    Moonshine Guest

    thank you for your help but there are no video audio drivers.

    i did fix my issue, i searched dell site for the exact drivers needed and
    selected the ones not for vostro but for inspiron to get the audio to work.

    then went here http://www.laptopvideo2go.com and got the video driver. you
    have to use a nodified .inf file to make it work.

    all toll it took me about 5 hrs to get what i needed. seems to me if i could
    do it DELL should have done it.

    Moonshine, Sep 28, 2007
  4. in your initial post you did not state weather you had installed the chipset
    drivers.
    in your follow up post you also didn't mention it.
    i still wonder if you ever did.

    Christopher Muto, Sep 29, 2007
  5. Moonshine

    Moonshine Guest

    i installed every driver listed in the xp driver page for the vostro 1700.

    i also tried to install some of the vista drivers without success.

    the sigma audio drivers i found on a inspiron page. without them i had no
    sound except the popular "ding".

    my pc has the nvidia 8400m gs graphics card. i found the laptopvideo2go
    website (excelent resource) and used a driver with a modified inf file to
    fix the slow jumpie screen.

    DELL should have had them on the xp driver page.

    Do you have a vostro 1700?

    Moonshine, Sep 29, 2007
  6. I do; you can't purchase it with XP in the UK, it's a brand new model
    targetting Vista users.

    I think it's to Dell's credit that there are actually any XP drivers
    listed at all...........did your Vostro come with Vista and you've
    backtracked to XP perchance?

    chuckles_the_scary_clown, Sep 29, 2007
  7. Moonshine

    Ron Hardin Guest

    I'd imagine the XP drivers are for the Vostro 1500, which does come with XP
    if you ask.

    Ron Hardin, Sep 29, 2007
  8. bingo. dell should list the xp video and sound drivers for the vostros 1700
    on the vostro 1700 xp driver download page but they don't. probably because
    of confusion about weather or not they were going to offer it with xp at
    all. once the chipset drivers are loaded then the xp drivers for video and
    audio can be found on the vostros 1500 or vostros 1400 xp driver download
    page.

    Christopher Muto, Sep 29, 2007
  9. Moonshine

    Moonshine Guest

    well all's well that ends well........

    i wish dell made it a little easier for me.

    the vostro 1700 wasnt offered with xp pro so i had to flatten vista and
    install xp.

    making end users hunt the internet for drivers that are on there website is
    wrong.

    i called dell tech and got no help finding drivers, actually the guy told me
    to reinstall vista becouse xp wouldnt work on the 1700!
    lol

    Moonshine, Sep 29, 2007
  10. Moonshine

    Tom Scales Guest

    I'm glad it worked for you, but don't understand why you expect Dell to
    support any OS on the machine other than the one you purchased from
    them. They won't support any software purchased from another source.
    Why should they?

    Tom Scales, Sep 29, 2007
  11. agreed, but they have sold the vostros1700 with xp so should have the
    drivers listed on the support site. not that i see the vostros 1700
    currently available with xp now. but then again, the product description
    for the vostros 1400 states that it is sold only with vista basic or vista
    business but on the same page there are buttons offering to configure a
    system with vista or with xp... they haven't figured out their postion on
    this yet. clearly the intention was not to sell these system with xp and
    thought they have tried to be responsive to customer demand they haven't
    been consistent about the support pages since they have started selling them
    with xp.

    Christopher Muto, Sep 30, 2007
  12. Moonshine

    Sean Hines Guest

    Thank you for your info on the audio drivers for the Vostro 1700. I
    have spent upwards of 8 hours tring to find an audio driver that works
    on this ******* laptop. I even contacted Dell and they said they did
    not have any audio drivers available for XP, now I know that they were
    just puffin smoke. They really want people to have Vista on their
    machines dont they? For anyone that is curious the Inspiron 1501 XP
    audio driver (R134779.EXE) works on the Vostro 1700.

    Sean Hines, Oct 2, 2007
  13. Moonshine

    S.Lewis Guest

    Thanks for posting that. Bet it will come up again in the future.......

    S.Lewis, Oct 3, 2007
  14. the sigmatel 92xx audio driver for windows xp listed under the inspiron is
    dated 11/2/2006 v.5.10.0.5143.
    the sigmatel 92xx audio driver for windows xp listed under the vostros 1500
    is dated 7/29/2007 v.5.10.0.5511.
    as previously stated, all the xp drivers for the vostros 1700 can be found
    under the vostros 1500. most importantly the chipset drivers... hope your
    machine is working smoothly with the old drivers you found.

    Christopher Muto, Oct 4, 2007
  15. Moonshine

    tommyt Guest

    Hi guys - got this dam Vostro and am getting XP running. So far so good
    except audio. I have tried both suggestions in this thread loading the
    Inspiron 1501 driver and the Vostro 1500. Neither worked. It looks to
    install and finishes but nothing seems to happen. I reboot and then the
    installer runs again right away after reboot and then throws an error
    about no audio found on system. What am I doing wrong? I have already
    loaded Video, Chipset, net drivers without issue. Shame on dell for
    making this such a poor experience.

    tommyt, Nov 2, 2007