    faster(=more heat) hard drives. My 2400 is also quiet but my 4600 makes
    a little more noise when it gets warm. Don't reboot as much and you
    won't notice it as much.

    Charles, Sep 1, 2007

  2. Andy

    Ben Myers Guest

    Keeping the Vostro running 24/7 DOES solve the noisy fan problem! Brilliant!

    .... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Sep 1, 2007

  3. Andy

    Ben Myers Guest

    I won't argue, but I will observe:

    1. You sure bitch about a two-second noise a lot. To quote the bard, "Much ado
    about nothing."
    2. You seem to want to "fix" a built-in feature that is there for the health and
    well-being of the computer... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Sep 1, 2007
  4. Andy

    Andy Guest

    Obviously not into saving the environment and switching off electrical
    products when you are not using them then.

    Andy.

    Andy, Sep 1, 2007
  5. Andy

    Ben Myers Guest

    You pays your money and you takes your choice. Either more power consumption or
    few two-second intervals of apparently deafening fan noise. Enable hiberation
    in the control panel... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Sep 1, 2007
  6. Andy

    Andy Guest

    Cant find Hibernate in Vista now I think its been replaced by 'sleep' - when
    I take it out of sleep I get the high fan speed noise :-(

    There is no getting away with the fact that this needs to be fixed in a BIOS
    update and if the system / fans where any good they would detect total fan
    failure / proper fan operation and over temp warning whatever RPM speed they
    were going at so its a load of bull and I don't buy it that they have to
    start up maximum speed to check that the fans are working.

    Andy.

    Andy, Sep 1, 2007
  7. Andy

    Tom Scales Guest

    I think you're missing a HUGE point by comparing the two machines. The
    2400 was a consumer class machine manufactured as cheaply as possible
    (outsourced by Dell). It was never intended, nor supported, in a
    business world where it would get 8 hours of heavy business critical use
    a day -- where a fan failure could cost many tens of times the cost of
    the machine in lost productivity. If you lost your 2400 for a couple
    days, what was the worst that could happen -- you couldn't email your
    MySpace friends?

    The Vostro, however, is a BUSINESS class computer with much higher
    expectations of reliability. Therefore, this 'feature' is intended to
    ensure that the machine's fan is operable and the machine wouldn't be
    toast between boots. In other words, a higher-class, better designed
    computer for about the same money.

    So, big win for you!

    If, however, this brief run-up of the fan is so annoying to you that
    your teeth are grinding every time you boot, then do the obvious.

    Return it!

    It will only cost you return shipping. That's the beauty of Dell's
    liberal return policy. You can then go to your local Best Buy, listen
    to each machine as it boots, and buy the quietest one. That would make
    you happy.

    The one thing that will solve NOTHING is continuing to argue with those
    of us on the newsgroup. We're not Dell. We cannot do anything for you.
    We're just a bunch of people that VOLUNTEER their time to help other
    Dell users. You are WASTING everyone's time by continuing this thread.
    LET IT DIE.

    Tom

    Tom Scales, Sep 1, 2007
  8. Andy

    Andy Guest

    I think you are missing my huge point(s) that both PC get as hot as each
    other one has a low noise fan and the other has 2 fans of which are noisy at
    startup. Why would I want to return the Dell Vostro that I am totally happy
    with apart from the fan noise. I bet the 'home' Inspiron 530 make the same
    noise as well so its not just because the Vostro was designed for business
    environment that it does this.

    The least I thought someone on this NG could do is maybe help by pointing me
    in the direction of a program / utility to manage fan noise in a system or
    tell me if they think that a new BIOS would solve the problem but instead I
    get 'put up with it' and 'its not serious' and its designed to do that as a
    check the fans are working' and 'if you dont like it send it back to
    ell!' - I cannot see how any of these are really helpful comments at all to
    be quite honest. Yes I have written an email to dell tech support about the
    fan noise and that was over a week ago and no answer and maybe I will not
    even get an answer about it.

    You and some people on here are Wasting my time when I check this NG for
    some helpful advice and find that you just say the same things over and over
    again and don't offer any real help. You are not even friendly about it!

    Andy.

    Andy, Sep 1, 2007
  9. Andy

    Tom Scales Guest

    I believe I was pretty friendly and have only made the one post.

    Bottom line. No one here knows of such a program. We don't have any
    inside information on BIOS updates. We, pretty collectively, think the
    computer is working properly.

    Given this conclusion, I would suggest that you got the value for your
    money here--free.

    No matter how many times you tell us we're wrong, we're comfortable in
    our opinions -- which is what they are -- opinions. I'd suggest you try
    the Dell Communities as an alternative, because just because you
    continue to argue with us doesn't mean we're going to have an answer,
    even if you convinced us.

    The combined years of Dell experience her is pretty impressive. Best
    newsgroup with which I have ever been associated. Occasionally we have
    someone come in and tell us we're all idiots, but it passes.

    Feel free to learn a lot about Dells and come back and volunteer. We
    can always use the help.

    Tom

    Tom Scales, Sep 1, 2007
  10. Andy

    Tom Lake Guest

    It's not quite as simple as that. By powering up/down too often, you
    shorten the life of the equipment and then take even more resources
    to replace it. If you're only going to be away from the machine for an
    hour or two leave it on! At our offices, we leave the computers on all
    day and only turn them off before leaving for the night.

    Tom Lake
    Information Systems Administrator
    St. Regis Mohawk Tribe
    Environment Division

    Tom Lake, Sep 1, 2007
  11. Andy, in addition to looking for suggestions in this newsgroup, head on over
    to Dells web site and checkout their own forums.

    I'd probably go into their Tech Talk area and enter a message in the Desktop
    section.

    The Dell forums are a great place to get help from other Dell users.

    As far as your issue with the fans starting at high speed then slowing down,
    I don't have a good answer either as to why.

    It could be for most any reason, including any or all the reasons that have
    already been pointed out.

    I'd venture a guess that to most people, it's not a big deal because it only
    lasts for a few seconds, then it quiets right down.

    That's not to say that for some, it's still annoying.

    Yes there are programs out there that might allow you to monitor the fan
    speed, etc, but I don't know of any that would allow you alter the fan
    start-up speed.

    Is it possible that a future BIOS upgrade would change the fan startup
    behavior?, perhaps but something tells me not to hold my breath.

    I'd bet that the manufacturer has some reason for the fans startup behavior
    even though we may not understand it, agree with the reasoning, or like it.

    Don't look to Dell to change the BIOS, the BIOS is designed by the
    motherboard manufacturer.

    It would also probably take the manufacturer getting A LOT of complaints
    from the users of the fans spin-up behavior, before they would bother
    addressing the issue, and even then it would be a matter of debating the
    tradeoffs. Reducing momentary start-up noise, vs., (insert manufacturers
    reason here).

    Can you address the issue with some sort of mod to the fan wiring or
    replacing the fans altogether with another type of fan? probably, but only
    you can decide whether it's worth it.

    Once possibility is to replace the stock fan with an aftermarket fan of the
    same size (so it fits the existing mounting holes) that just plugs into the
    power supply connectors and is not controlled at all, but then you'd have to
    put up with a constant fan speed that may or may not be quieter than what
    you have now. You'd also lose the fan speed monitoring function of the bios,
    thus if the fan ever failed, the BIOS would not be able to alert you,
    etc.....

    You 'might' be able to find another speed-controlled fan of a different
    diameter that may not sound as loud as the stock fan, but there again you
    would be changing the air flow for better or for worse.

    For most of us, it's not worth it, But it may be to you. Only you can decide
    whether replacing or altering the fans to eliminate the brief startup noise
    is worth whatever risks you take by doing so.

    Timothy Drouillard, Sep 1, 2007
  12. This is another debate that has been going on forever. Is the power saved by
    turning equipment off worth the stress to the various components in the
    system that the power-up cycle causes.

    Both side have their own arguments.

    Personally I'm of the old school where I leave mine on 24/7 and let the
    monitor 'sleep' because I believe the on/off stress (and time waiting for th
    esystem to boot) outweighs any money saving, but that's just my opinion.

    Timothy Drouillard, Sep 1, 2007
  13. Andy

    wm_walsh Guest

    Hi!
    No, it's not. Things have changed significantly since 2002 in the
    computing world, although some computers made then do exactly the same
    thing at power on.

    Chips run hotter, draw more power and need more cooling than ever
    before. It's very important that the fans you have work and work
    properly. There's also more thermal monitoring available than ever
    before...although some systems from that time frame *did* have a
    pretty good set of temperature sensors and fan speed controls.

    My Dimension 8300 (from October 2004) revs its processor fan up very
    briefly at startup. I'd say it lasts less than a second.

    That said, the startup fan speed/test is a decision made by the people
    who make the hardware. Some vendors and others don't, even today. If
    it really bothers you, and you aren't happy with the noise it makes at
    startup, I would exchange the system for a different model that
    doesn't do this. You can certainly still find systems that don't.

    William

    wm_walsh, Sep 1, 2007
  14. Andy

    Ben Myers Guest

    The reasons why some of the responses to your post have been quite short with
    you is that you have stubbornly refused to accept the reality that your Vostro
    is designed the way it is for very practical reasons and you keep looking for a
    solution that simply does not exist and probably never will exist.

    Dell will not provide a BIOS update unless the clamor about startup fan noise
    grows to a crescendo thousands of times louder than the fans themselves. No
    way. Most people understand the reason for the fan noise and accept a couple of
    seconds of it.

    If you want to try modifying the motherboard BIOS, good luck. Don't even go
    there. All you need to do is flash the BIOS with some bad code and you won't
    hear any fan noise at all because the computer will not power up. Having
    tinkered with BIOSes before, I can tell you that figuring out how to change the
    BIOS and actually changing the BIOS are two daunting tasks unless you are a
    well-qualified BIOS programmer with access to the BIOS source code.

    So there you have it. Three choices:

    1. Live with it and stop griping about it.
    2. Run the system 24/7.
    3. Get rid of the system and get one that meets your own unique requirements for
    noise levels.

    That's it in a nutshell, and really any further discussion of the matter is
    entirely fruitless. Really... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Sep 1, 2007
  15. Andy

    Andy Guest

    Thanks Timothy you have been most helpful in your comments and ideas and yes
    I have used the Dell forums. I suppose they (dell) are not going to change
    it in the next BIOS if a lot of people dont mention it so i suppose you are
    right when you tell me not to hold my breath. The Mainboard is made by
    Foxconn so maybe even an email to their tech department might help.

    I might experiment and change the fan(s) as well. Already today I have
    disconnected one of the fans the case fan today and have just got the
    processor running and no overheating / lock ups / warning messages to report
    so thats one less fan noise.

    Andy.

    Andy, Sep 1, 2007
  16. Andy

    Tom Scales Guest

    How exactly do you know it isn't overheating? Seems like a huge risk to
    take -- or will you just let it burn up, plug the fan back in and make a
    warranty claim?

    Foxconn won't do anything -- they just build the board. It's a Dell
    board.

    All this for a few seconds of noise?

    Tom Scales, Sep 1, 2007
  17. Andy

    Andy Guest

    Oh, shut up will you I thought you made it clear that you didnt want to help
    out and think I am silly for moaning about the nois of the fans but you are
    still answering me in this NG if you dont agree with me or fed up with me or
    disagree with me why dont you just ignore me and dont answer my post?

    Andy.

    Andy, Sep 1, 2007
  18. Andy

    Andy Guest

    No, I will stick with it - its just one of those niggly things (well niggly
    to me) but not worth exchanging the PC for. Maybe I will come across a
    program on the Internet that will work with this MoBoard to control the fans
    RPM - I dare say there is something out there. I have downloaded a PC
    temperature managing program today with fan control speed but it didnt work
    on this particular system, thats not to say I wont find one though I
    suppose.

    Thanks,

    Andy.

    Andy, Sep 1, 2007
  19. Andy

    Steve W. Guest

    Well forget returning it now that you have voided the warranty AND
    admitted it on here.

    Steve W., Sep 1, 2007
  20. Andy, if disconnecting the Dell fan reduced the noise, that's fine, BUT I
    wouldn't leave the system like that. If that the way you want to go, instead
    of operating without the sock fan, find a substitue fan that is powered at a
    steady speed that plugs directly into the power supply. There are various
    fan controoler out there on the market that would allow you to manually
    control the steady speed of that fan so you can find a good compromise
    between fan noise and suffecient system cooling.

    At least find a temp monitoring program that is compatible with your system
    (there are many of them out there) so you can keep tabs on the temp to make
    SURE the system is running at a reasonable temp.

    Don't forget that good airflow not only cools the CPU but also the HD's and
    other components.

    Timothy Drouillard, Sep 1, 2007