    Whats it to you anyway?

    Jeez some people!

    Andy.

    Andy, Sep 1, 2007

  2. Andy

    Ben Myers Guest

    Forget any response direct from Foxconn. Their OEM contract with Dell
    obligates Dell to provide 100% or more of the support for motherboards they
    make. This is typical in the industry for any OEM relationship, and has been
    the case for as long as I have been in the biz, a long long time. In return
    for a high volume and lower than normal wholesale price, the buyer agrees to
    provide ALL the support for any products they buy... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Sep 1, 2007

  3. Hi!
    Have a look at SpeedFan if you didn't already do so. It's not capable of
    controlling every fan, and some systems just don't have the required wiring,
    or if they do, it is implemented in a way that SF doesn't "understand". At
    the very least you should get temperatures and data from your hard disk.

    There's no harm in trying it--the worst that could happen is the program
    doesn't find any usable sensors or let you control fan speed. My Latitude
    D800 laptop is supported, although fan speed control doesn't seem to work.
    On the other hand, my Dimension 8300 doesn't return any data other than what
    the hard disks say through SMART. A 2001/2 era Compaq Deskpro reports two
    temperatures and lets me run the PSU fan all the way up and down, though I
    can't stop it completely. I also have some Cybernet Elite II
    PCs-in-a-keyboard that report temps and will allow me to adjust the speed of
    or stop the onboard fan completely. So, as you can see, the results are
    variable.

    MotherboardMonitor was a similar program, but I don't think it is being
    updated any longer.

    William

    William R. Walsh, Sep 2, 2007
  4. Hi!

    Also:

    I read earlier in the thread that you disconnected a fan, and it seemed to
    cut down on the noise. That's certainly good, but you should really keep an
    eye on the system for a while, or set up a test with several different
    applications that use lots of CPU power. Dell had a reason to put the fan
    you unplugged in there, so you should try to find out if their reasoning was
    good or not. Don't wait for a cooling disaster to tell you.

    SpeedFan won't help with the fan "surge" at startup, but it could help you
    control fans while the system is running. Again, watch the system carefully
    for a while and under some different situations. Although you don't like it,
    the fan surge is really a pretty good thing that serves to give the computer
    and BIOS a chance to check the fans to see that they run up from low speed
    to high and possibly warn you if at some point they fail to do this. It's
    better to be a little annoyed with fan noise than to find blown out
    capacitors all over your computer's motherboard because a fan failed
    silently and cooked some of the parts.

    William

    William R. Walsh, Sep 2, 2007
  5. Andy

    Andy Guest

    Thanks I will try speedfan. I wonder why all motherboard manufacturers no
    longer put in place a safety system where the PC locks up / shuts down when
    components inside get over a high temperature? - I have had some PC's in the
    past where you go into the BIOS and can enable (or are enabled as default)
    where it monitored motherboard and processor temperature and did this but it
    seems a lot of PC these days wont shut down or cut the power to the
    mainboard if the components overheat. Maybe its a cost cutting thing?

    Andy.

    Andy, Sep 2, 2007
  6. Andy

    Tom Scales Guest

    They do on systems at an appropriate price point. They don't on the
    bargain basement, entry level, cheapest model out the door machines.

    Tom Scales, Sep 2, 2007
  7. Andy

    - Bobb - Guest

    Why not disable fan control in startup.
    If noise goes away, you know THAT was in fact the reason.

    - Bobb -, Sep 2, 2007
  8. Andy

    - Bobb - Guest

    Both of my ASUS boards can do that. Controlled in BIOS.

    - Bobb -, Sep 2, 2007
  9. Andy

    Andy Guest

    can that be done on the Dell Vostro?

    Andy.

    Andy, Sep 2, 2007
  10. Andy

    Andy Guest

    One minute people on here are saying that the business PC's cannot afford to
    break down like a home PC and they are built to the highest standard and yet
    it sounds like you are saying the Vostro is a bargain basement PC but these
    Vostro PC's are specifically built for the business market and they don't
    seem to have anything in the BIOS to shut down the PC when it overheats so I
    am confused!

    Andy.

    Andy, Sep 2, 2007
  11. Andy

    Ben Myers Guest

    AFAIK, most Dell BIOSes do not have a fan control option. Even if they did,
    the fans would be on and loud the whole time (not what the OP wants, for sure)
    and, no matter what, the fans would come on full blast for a couple of seconds
    during POST. Very simply, this is a test of the ventilation fan(s) executed by
    the BIOS when the system is booting to make sure that the fans can do their job.
    Other models of Dell computers have the same fan test built in and it cannot be
    disabled. The Dimension 4700 is one of them. The Precision 380 is another. I
    have not kept extensive records of which Dell systems do and which systems do
    not test the fans duing POST, but there are a number of them. Their numbers
    will increase as systems get faster (or have more cores) and CPU wattages
    increase.

    The OP would do well to buy a pair of earplugs... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Sep 3, 2007
  12. Andy

    Andy Guest

    Oh, and when the noise wakes up the rest of the house if I happen to boot up
    in the middle of the night or early morning when I want to go onto the
    computer I will have to supply earplugs for them as well I suppose?

    Andy.

    Andy, Sep 3, 2007
  13. Andy

    Steve W. Guest

    You REALLY need to learn how to read.
    the door machines.

    The Vostros ARE the low end business machines. They are the SAME machine
    as the low end Inspiron machines. If you have all these complaints
    RETURN IT.
    Oh and FYI that machine uses MORE power to shut down/start-up than it
    would if you just left it powered on. It also stresses the internals.

    Steve W., Sep 3, 2007
  14. Andy

    Andy Guest

    What do you mean all these complaints - I am just saying the fans are noisy
    at POST and noisier in operation than my Dimension 2400 were do you draw the
    line at a complaint and just asking for help on this NG to see if anyone had
    any ideas why that is and any ideas how to quiten them.

    Do me a favour and don't read/answer my post if you haven't got anything
    more helpful top say, ITS BORING! (and its rude to post in capitals!)

    Andy.

    Andy, Sep 3, 2007
  15. Andy

    - Bobb - Guest

    I meant BIOS not startup - sorry.
    I see a few postings here ...perhaps use your :

    1 year Dell Automated PC TuneUp - Help keep your system running at top
    performance with standard 1-year Dell Automated PC TuneUp. Vostro comes
    standard with 1 year of this service

    - Bobb -, Sep 3, 2007
  16. Andy

    S.Lewis Guest

    Send it back before your 21-day (from invoice) return window expires.
    Problem solved.

    S.Lewis, Sep 3, 2007
  17. Andy

    Ben Myers Guest

    Yes! Is there an echo in here? Several have made this suggestion to the OP,
    who seems to have rejected it outright.

    We are now all led to believe that the fan noise at startup is perhaps as loud
    as a 747 taking off or maybe the decibel level of your favorite rock band. Such
    an assertion stretches my credulity. And also that the OP will be working away
    at odd hours and have to reboot for some reason. This one is a little more
    plausible, especially if automatic Windows updates are enabled and an update
    requires a reboot, or if Vista produces a dreaded BSOD, both of which have a
    significant non-zero probability. Gee, now that I've thought about it a bit, I
    understand the OP's point about waking the family. Family wakefulness, too,
    could be handled by moving the computer to an outbuilding or simply leaving ones
    annoying and highly unsympathetic family and living elsewhere. There are many
    solutions to the noisy two-second startup fan problem, and we have only just
    begun to explore them.

    Or maybe the OP is simply a troll with these absurd statements? Well, so what?
    It's all good clean fun... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Sep 3, 2007
  18. Andy

    Andy Guest

    Yes, schools are back today shouldnt you be there? ;-)

    Andy.

    Andy, Sep 3, 2007
  19. Andy

    Andy Guest

    Why should these fans be noisy as well when starting up (waking up) the PC
    out of standby mode as well? - I put the PC into standby but when I wake it
    back up the fans go mental again for a couple of seconds. Annoying but not
    annoying enough to send the PC back - I just wish there was a solution.

    So I might find it plausible for it doing a check at POST to see if the fans
    are working they have to run at full speed but to do that when its just
    waking up from sleep mode I just don't know why its designed to do that?

    Andy.

    Andy, Sep 3, 2007
  20. Andy

    Tom Scales Guest

    This is your clever retort to Ben, perhaps the most helpful person on
    this newsgroup? Weak, truly weak.

    You also don't know your US holidays. It is a vacation day for all of
    us, including our children.

    Ben's point is reasonable, though. If it is so loud that it is waking
    people in another room, then all previous advice was incorrect. Send it
    back, as something is clearly wrong. Our advice was based on the
    expectation of a working machine, even the loudest of which would not
    wake someone sleeping.

    Sounds like you have a defective unit, which is where the confusion and
    'angst' seems to have come in during this thread.

    Send it back, send it back fast!

    Tom

    Tom Scales, Sep 3, 2007