    My XPS700 has done that from the get go. I assume it's normal, perhaps
    even doing a performance check on things the POST sequence. Can't you
    (OP) just ignore it?

    Tony Harding, Sep 3, 2007

  2. Andy

    Tony Harding Guest

    Oooo, low blow - accusing someone of being non green. I guess the
    terrorists have won.

    <vbg>

    Tony Harding, Sep 3, 2007

  3. Andy

    Tony Harding Guest

    Tom, why not accuse OP of being a Nazi and be done with it? :)

    Tony Harding, Sep 3, 2007
  4. Andy

    Tony Harding Guest

    After wading thru this thread to this point, it's obvious the only huge
    point(s) here are located on your noggin.

    Tony Harding, Sep 3, 2007
  5. Andy

    Tony Harding Guest

    Ben Myers wrote:

    I've come to the same conclusion, Ben, no functioning human could be so
    think & so argumentative.

    Tony Harding, Sep 3, 2007
  6. Andy

    S.Lewis Guest

    You also have a beeping problem. Send it back.

    S.Lewis, Sep 3, 2007
  7. Andy

    Andy Guest

    I think you meant thick didn't you? ;-)

    Andy.

    Andy, Sep 3, 2007
  8. Andy

    Tony Harding Guest

    Same dead with Windows & Microsoft, as you said, it's the way OEM deals
    are done.

    Tony Harding, Sep 6, 2007
  9. Andy

    Ben Myers Guest

    And that is exactly why Microsoft is able to shield itself from what would be a
    blizzard of class-action lawsuits for shipping faulty Windows products.
    Microsoft has assembled one of the finest legal teams in the world, even better
    than the US Deparetment of Justice... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Sep 6, 2007
  10. Andy

    DellCA Guest

    I’m at Dell Headquarters in Austin, Texas and I just came across this
    thread. To be perfectly honest I have never heard of this brief fan
    test being an issue and to the best of my knowledge, there is no way to
    avoid this.
    That said, if it's loud enough to wake someone sleeping down the hall,
    then there is indeed a problem but it's with the fans themselves and not
    with the bios telling them to spin up on boot. I suppose that it is
    possible that the fan could be damaged in such a way that it's letting
    out a loud screech only at full throttle and the only time your machine
    has needed to crank them to that level so far is during boot.
    If that's the case we can clearly get the fans working as designed but
    if the amount of noise that the fans normally make at that speed is the
    problem, that’s it. I would agree with many of the other members that
    it’s not a good idea to expose yourself to the risks associated with
    tampering with the fans or fan settings just to avoid a two second long
    check and that leaving it on 24/7 or doing your best to live with the
    sound are your best bets.

    Neil
    Dell, Inc.

    DellCA, Sep 10, 2007