    to a bad capacitor.

    TIA,

    John

    John Antoszek, Oct 2, 2003

  2. John Antoszek

    BigBadger Guest

    You may want to try relaxing the memory timings....It could possibly be bad
    caps, very common on this board as you are obviously aware. Do any of the
    caps have domed tops???

    BigBadger, Oct 2, 2003

  3. John Antoszek

    antoszjo Guest

    BB:

    I'll take a look at the caps. Before I pull everything out though, could you
    tell me what would constitute relaxed settings? Right now everything is
    default. What bios setting would I change to what values. Yes, I'm a newbi.

    antoszjo, Oct 3, 2003
  4. Most important ... what O/S?

    Got a VP6 here with 1GB RAM ... no voltage change required.

    Colon Terminus, Oct 3, 2003
  5. Windows 98/98SE has some real problems managing and using more than 512MB
    RAM. I'd suggest that may be the source of your problems. Yank the 128
    module and run Prime95 for a cuppla hours and see what happens.

    Colon Terminus, Oct 4, 2003
  6. John Antoszek

    antoszjo Guest

    win98se
    also,
    1 866 MHz cpu
    3 HD: 1 3gb, 1 20gb, 1 80gb
    1 dvd
    1 burner
    ati radeon a-i-w (one of the first, 7200 I think, latest drivers installed)

    I recently installed new VIA drivers too. Bios hasn't been updated (from what
    I've read, I didn't see anything specific to my setup).

    antoszjo, Oct 4, 2003
  7. John Antoszek

    Jef Norton Guest

    Hi antoszjo -

    If you have more than 512 mb of memory installed under Windows 9x you'll
    likely get weird "out of memory" errors and other problems relating to the
    file cache taking up all the real memory addresses.

    To avoid this problem, add the following line to the [vcache] section of
    system.ini (you can do this in MS-DOS mode if you cannot stably boot into
    Windows):

    MaxFileCache=524288

    This limits the file cache to 512 mb of virtual memory. You can choose a
    smaller number -- 70% of installed memory, up to 524288, is recommended for
    best performance.

    Jef

    Jef Norton, Oct 4, 2003
  8. John Antoszek

    Jef Norton Guest

    Hi John -

    Sorry that it didn't help. You'll still need the file cache limit
    regardless (this is the "bug" in Windows 9x that so many people speak of
    when they refer to Windows 9x not supporting more than 512 mb of memory).
    You might want to check your spelling and capitalization, just in case...
    it's:

    [vcache]
    MaxFileCache=524288

    In any event, you've probably checked it up one side and down the other.
    Another problem could be your processor and/or system temp. Are you by
    chance running a little too toasty?

    Jef

    antoszjo, Oct 7, 2003
  10. John Antoszek

    antoszjo Guest

    CT:

    What O/S are you running?

    John

    antoszjo, Oct 7, 2003
  11. John Antoszek

    0_Qed Guest

    ....snip...

    Hey Jef ,

    Going back to the OP's original post ...
    I recently installed more memory on my VP6 Motherboard. I now have 1
    128MB, and 2 256MB modules. Since the installation, my system has been
    randomly locking up on me. Usually when doing something involving
    music, java, or flash. A hard reset is required.

    His/her 'text' suggests that there mite be a mem module construction
    mis_match
    which causes the random lockup ... I'd =guess= at the 128MB module ...

    A 'lockup' is suggestive of a hdwr glitch
    as opposed to
    a 'parm glitch' causing an err msg ...

    Generally not a good idea to mix-n-match mem module construct types.

    btw ...
    as the Careful Conservative Craftsman that I am ...
    as opposed to being a Niggling Nitwit Nitpicker ...
    :) ...
    I think I found, & used, an obscure 'ref' that suggested that
    "one" mite use MaxFileCache=600000 as a V_Mem limit ...
    not a M$ ref , 3rd party as I recall .

    Qed.

    PS- I hope Jerry P's new thumb-lock 'tether' isnt all that contrictive
    .. I hate to see "things" atrophy, dry up, turn blue, & fall off.
    .. Besides, ... hes no good as a soprano.

    0_Qed, Oct 7, 2003
  12. John Antoszek

    Jef Norton Guest

    | Hey Jef ,
    |
    | Going back to the OP's original post ...

    ..
    | I recently installed more memory on my VP6 Motherboard. I now have 1
    | 128MB, and 2 256MB modules. Since the installation, my system has been
    | randomly locking up on me. Usually when doing something involving
    | music, java, or flash. A hard reset is required.

    ..

    | His/her 'text' suggests that there mite be a mem module construction
    | mis_match
    | which causes the random lockup ... I'd =guess= at the 128MB module ...
    |
    | A 'lockup' is suggestive of a hdwr glitch
    | as opposed to
    | a 'parm glitch' causing an err msg ...
    |
    | Generally not a good idea to mix-n-match mem module construct types.

    Good point. Perhaps a good test would be to attempt to boot the board with
    only the new memory to ensure that it's good. Boot again with only the
    original memory to ensure that it's still good. If they don't play nice
    together... you've got your answer.

    | btw ...
    | as the Careful Conservative Craftsman that I am ...
    | as opposed to being a Niggling Nitwit Nitpicker ...
    | :) ...
    | I think I found, & used, an obscure 'ref' that suggested that
    | "one" mite use MaxFileCache=600000 as a V_Mem limit ...
    | not a M$ ref , 3rd party as I recall .

    I've seen the "fix" listed as MaxFileCache=500000 a few times... but never
    600000. That defeats the fix since 600000 is more than 512 megabytes.

    | Qed.
    |
    | PS- I hope Jerry P's new thumb-lock 'tether' isnt all that contrictive
    | . I hate to see "things" atrophy, dry up, turn blue, & fall off.
    | . Besides, ... hes no good as a soprano.

    You know... Jerry must be very durable given that he's been taken on by a
    very strong woman. I'm sure he sings soprano quite often for her.

    On the other hand, imagine she ties him in the yard by his thumb-lock
    tether... just like the dog, he gets himself all tangled up around the spike
    he's tied to.

    Jef

    Jef Norton, Oct 7, 2003
  13. John Antoszek

    antoszjo Guest

    I pulled the 128 mb module. So far so good, no lock ups. Now running 2x256
    mb.

    When I had the case open though, it looked like a couple of the caps might
    fit the description of "domed top". Is there any preventative maintenance
    to stave off cap failure?

    Thanks to all for your assistance.

    antoszjo, Oct 8, 2003
  14. http://www.motherboardrepair.com/index.php?sec=faq