    Wes Groleau Guest

    Not a great marketing name for a networking tool.

    "And Viscosity won't slow you down!"

    Wes Groleau, Mar 28, 2012

  2. DaveC

    JF Mezei Guest

    Proxy service won't work because the flash plugin gets its own TCP
    connections to the internet and doesn't necessarily use the browser,s
    proxy settings.

    iPlayer uses Flash.

    JF Mezei, Mar 28, 2012

  3. DaveC

    Wes Groleau Guest

    But for just web browsing, what makes WiTopia better than SSL ?

    A = you

    B, C = WiTopia servers

    D = destination

    A -> B -> C -> D

    A to B is encrypted; B to C probably; C to D, no

    proxy with SSL: A -> D, fully encrypted all the way

    Wes Groleau, Mar 28, 2012
  4. DaveC

    Patty Winter Guest

    Wes, do you know of any free or low-cost proxies that are safe to use?

    Patty

    Patty Winter, Mar 28, 2012
  5. DaveC

    Patty Winter Guest

    I did read the FAQ. As I noted, they don't say anything about pretending
    to be in another country.

    Patty

    Patty Winter, Mar 28, 2012
  6. DaveC

    Warren Oates Guest

    Well, it works for me. Flash and all. All connections to the Internet
    from my machine go through the VPN. Flash doesn't have its own little
    Internet connection.

    Warren Oates, Mar 28, 2012
  7. DaveC

    Warren Oates Guest

    You can Google for a list of proxies, and try them out with iPlayer. The
    BBC either know about most of them, or know what the signature is, and
    block them.

    Warren Oates, Mar 28, 2012
  8. DaveC

    JF Mezei Guest

    VPN != proxy HTTP.

    Proxy HTTP is done by the browser for its own HTTP connections. The HTTP
    request is different because it is sent to the proxy server and contains
    additional headers that allow the proxy server to connect to the desired
    location.

    This does not "capture" the connections that Flash makes by itself.

    a VPN is done at the IP stack level and creates a new IP interface with
    routes to it. So any application will use that interface/route if the
    destination IP fits the route.

    JF Mezei, Mar 28, 2012
  9. DaveC

    Wes Groleau Guest

    The only thing that I _know_ is safe is the one I run myself.
    Otherwise, I am taking their word for it.

    Wes Groleau, Mar 29, 2012
  10. DaveC

    Wes Groleau Guest

    In the FAQ:

    https://www.witopia.net/support/faq/#doyouissueus

    Behind the "Why do I need" button on the main page:

    "You want to use a service or application that is geographically
    restricted by IP address.

    A nice side benefit of using WiTopia VPN service is that you can enjoy
    the use of an IP address in so many different countries and switch at
    will. In fact, the WiTopia VPN network dwarfs the others. Hundreds of
    servers spread all over the globe (see chart) with more being added all
    the time. Have a request? Let us know."

    Wes Groleau, Mar 29, 2012
  11. I have experience with a *technology* that offers this, SSL VPN. This
    service is built into a number of Cisco and Juniper boxes, and, one
    assumes, others as well. Using SSL VPN you first navigate to a web
    page and type in your credentials. Once logged in, traffic to a given
    set of IP addresses is routed through an SSL link. The traffic does
    not have to be web-based, any combination of addresses and ports can
    be routed.

    How to GET such a service is another issue. There is a product called
    OpenVPN that offers it in software, and apparently some sort of
    service offering as well. However, I found their web site quite
    confusing, and when I called the companies mentioned on the web page
    they had no idea what I was talking about.

    I have found a number of hosting companies that offer SSL VPN service
    in front of their cloud servers. This is a useful solution for many
    uses, perhaps your own.

    Maury

    Maury Markowitz, Mar 31, 2012