VT7 Motherboard: adding SATA Drive

Discussion in 'Abit' started by David Bahde, Jun 10, 2009.

  1. David Bahde

    David Bahde Guest

    I have a functioning Windows XP Pro system on a VT7 motherboard.
    It has an IDE drive on the primary master and a DVD drive on the
    secondary master.

    I want to add an additional hard drive for storage (Seagate 1.5T
    Barracuda; I have jumpered it down to 1.5Gb/sec, per the manual)

    Upon installing the hard drive and connecting it to the motherboard it
    is not recognized by the bios, and I see no setting in the CMOS that
    state anything like "activate SATA ports"

    When booting the system the first three lines read:
    -VIA Tech VIA8237 Serial ATA Raid Bios Setting Util v 2.21
    -Serial_CH0 Master: No Device
    -Serial_CH1 Master: No Device

    The system continues to function with Windows XP Pro; I just can not
    get the motherboard to recognize the SATA drive.

    I hear no sounds from the SATA drive, but do believe something is
    happening as it does get warm after it's been in there a while. Not
    uncharacteristically hot, just warm like a hard drive.

    Any suggestions on next steps?

    Thanks.

    David Bahde, Jun 10, 2009

  2. David Bahde

    Paul Guest

    Well, assume for the moment, that the BIOS won't boot from it. Let's
    try to make it work as a data drive, as a first step. That means
    what the BIOS thinks, doesn't matter.

    If you're in Windows, do you have a driver installed for the SATA port ?
    If you look in Device Manager, can you see something for the SATA ?
    If so, if you look in Disk Management, are you seeing an unpartitioned
    new item in the drive display ?

    (Picture of Disk Management plugin...)
    http://www.dedoimedo.com/images/computers/2009/win-disk-task-not-initialized.jpg

    Viaarena.com has drivers. I see a couple possibilities.

    The basic chipset drivers, may provide a driver for the SATA interface.
    Is the chipset PT880/VT8237 ?

    Try the Hyperion Pro driver first. It is similar to the VIA 4-in-1, but
    for later chipsets. I think that is what I'm using currently, to
    make a single drive work on my VT8238S. The VT8237S is a VT8237,
    with SATA II capability. (I didn't need a RAID driver, just the
    chipset driver was enough for me.)

    Hyperion Pro (basic chipset driver)
    http://www.viaarena.com/default.aspx?PageID=420&OSID=1&CatID=1070

    The RAID driver is less likely to make you happy, but I'll show
    a link for that as well. (Sometimes, to figure out what these
    drivers do, I have to download both packages, and have a look
    at the README file. The README file may make different claims
    for the driver, than the Viaarena description text.) I haven't
    a clue, when you'd use the Falcon, but if you use a program
    like 7ZIP, you can always unzip the file and have a look at the
    component parts before installing it.

    (VRAID driver)
    http://www.viaarena.com/default.aspx?PageID=420&OSID=1&CatID=1180&SubCatID=143

    (Good for extracting or picking apart downloads)
    http://www.7-zip.org/

    To download from Viaarena, *only* press the black outlined rectangle.
    The page has many advertising links - don't click any "driver scan" links.

    Good luck,
    Paul

    Paul, Jun 10, 2009

  3. David Bahde