    I plan to build a new system with VT7 or VI7. Any Ideas on which is the
    better board for general use.

    TIA

    catfish, Feb 28, 2004

  2. catfish

    Jim Guest

    Well, I can't speak to the VT7, but I do have the VI7. It's an OK board for
    the price, but did find a serious problem (
    http://forum.abit-usa.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=40492 ).

    I'm running 512MB (2 x 256MB) PC2700 w/ P4 533MHz 2.4B, OC'd to 166MHz
    (1:1). If you just need a cheap, low-end PC for 'Net browsing, 2D apps,
    etc., it's, eh..., adequate. I keep it in the family room, but also have an
    Abit AI7 in the home/office for myself. Once you see the AI7 (w/ PC3200)
    running, you realize just how "pokey" the VI7 really is (no dual channel
    either). But again, for the right purposes, it's adequate. The only reason
    I grabbed it when I did (about two months ago) is that it was cheap, from
    Abit (love their OC features), and most importantly, I already had a P4
    533MHz 2.4C and generic PC2700 lying around (was only $10 for 512MB after
    rebate!). So what I already had in-hand played a big part in my decision.
    Beware that it's OC features are extremely limited compared to most other
    Abit boards. Abit seems to have built this board simply to say they have a
    PT800 solution more than anything else, it's already been surpassed by the
    PT880. My overall impression is that they put very little effort into it
    (and given they're lack of response to my problems, little effort into
    supporting it too).

    Given what I know today, I would have looked elsewhere, probably not VIA.
    Personally, I would recommend the NF7-S v2 (for AMD), it's well established,
    has great sound, is <$100, and almost everyone who gets it loves it. If you
    want/have a P4, stick w/ the 865 chipset (e.g., AI7).

    HTH

    Jim

    Jim, Mar 2, 2004