VT7 Won't boot..strange messages

Discussion in 'Abit' started by PaulB, Jan 27, 2006.

  1. PaulB

    PaulB Guest

    I've installed a "new" (refurbished) VT7 board in my machine. It goes
    through POST fine, until right before the Windows XP Pro initial boot
    screen, when it shows a message (below) on a blue screen for just a split
    second. The message flashes for maybe a tenth of second, then the machine
    starts the boot process all over again in an endless cycle.
    Here's the message.....
    "A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent
    damage on your computer.
    If this is the first time you've seen this error screen, restart your
    computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:
    "Check for viruses on you computer. Remove any newly installed hard drive
    controllers. Check your hard drive to make sure it is properly configured
    and terminated. Run chkdsk /F to check for hard drive corruption, and then
    restart your computer."

    "Technical Information:

    "***STOP: 0x0000005B (0xF7985528,0XC0000034, 0X00000000, 0X.........."

    There are no viruses on the system. I re-seated everything, flashed to the
    latest BIOS, tried various BIOS settings, all appears normal, but no dice.
    I finally gave up and re-installed the old MB so I could send this. It's
    working fine with the old board.
    The old board is a TH7II, no RAID.
    P4 2.8 GHz
    250 GB WD HD
    200 GB WD HD
    TDK CD/RW
    ASUS CD/ROM
    Visiontek Geforce 3
    This is all that was in at the time.

    My feeling is that the board is junk, even though it's been "re-furbished".
    Any thoughts?

    PaulB, Jan 27, 2006

  2. PaulB

    PaulB Guest

    One more thing I forgot to mention....this is NOT a RAID configuration.
    Just two separate hard drives.

    PaulB, Jan 27, 2006

  3. PaulB

    PaulB Guest

    After thinking about this some more............is it possible that I need to
    do a fresh install of Windows XP to get this thing to boot?

    PaulB, Jan 27, 2006
  4. PaulB

    BC Guest

    Hi PaulB,

    if what I just glanced at is correct, the VT7 uses the VIA PT880
    chipset, and the TH7II used the Intel 850 chipset--and, if that is in
    fact the motherboard you are switching from, it used Rambus RIMM memory
    modules.

    If that is the case, I think there is no way you could do a "repair"
    type install--too many chipset/internal IO registry and other settings
    are going to be borked up--like trying to put a Honda engine in a Volvo:
    possible, but, not worth the effort.

    I think that a clean install is always best anyway--it's a pain to
    reinstall all the applications, but, system always runs better afterwards.

    THT, GL,

    BC

    BC, Jan 27, 2006
  5. PaulB

    Dylan C Guest

    BC is right...it almost never works just to swap motherboards. Even if
    it did work, its not really a good solution. Back up your files and do
    a clean install.

    -Dylan

    Dylan C, Jan 27, 2006
  6. PaulB

    PaulB Guest

    Yes, I was afraid of this. I take it you're not recommending just
    installing Windows over top of itself, but essentially backing up, wiping
    the boot drive, then re-installing everything? Correct?

    BC, Thanks for your assistance. It's greatly appreciated.

    PaulB, Jan 27, 2006
  7. PaulB

    BC Guest

    Yes, unfortunately, correct. And, whenever I do this, I usually take
    the opportunity to get a new hard drive--a good Seagate (5 year
    warranty) or Western Digital. An 80G drive with 8MB cache is $55 at Newegg:

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822135106

    I then rotate the older primary drive into backup use, kids machine, etc....

    I also use this guide to help with the install: found on the web, and,
    I cannot find the link right now, or I would direct you to the site....

    Copied text follows:

    *Re: order to install:
    *It's called "layering" your software and is pretty much based on two
    *things: Importance of the software and permanence of the software.

    1. Windows
    2. Service Packs
    3. CPU and Motherboard Drivers (Chipset Drivers)
    4. DirectX
    5. Sound and Video Drivers
    6. Other Peripherals (USB, NIC's, etc)
    7. Windows Security Patches and Updates

    *After that would be the most important or most permanent applications
    *before the less important software or software that is more likely to
    *be removed.

    *I agree.
    *And might I add one thing (obvious to some, not to others)
    *During format/clean install.
    *The only thing plugged into mobo should be hard drive, rom drive, video
    *card, mouse and key board. (floppy drive if you need it)
    *I would split out sound from above and do that with "Other peripherals"
    *installing them one at a time and rebooting after each installation.
    *__________________
    *

    *I personally prefer to leave all PCI/AGP cards in during a fresh
    *install. Provided they are
    *in the right slot and you have disabled their relevant onboard
    *counterparts, there should be no issue there. However, taking out any
    *spare hard drives reduces the risk of a botched install.

    *The reason I put sounds cards up high on the driver list is because
    *traditionally they utilise many resources. Especially for Audigy series
    *cards and professional music cards. In the old days they required DMA
    *assignments which automatically made them one of the first things in
    *the order. It's not so important now though with PnP doing most of the
    *work for you.

    This guide has always worked really well for me....I have a good DSL
    connection, so downloading all the updates takes about 3 hours or so...
    Your are welcome, HTH,

    BC

    BC, Jan 27, 2006