    require any sort of settings on the Mac in Sharing for example be set?

    Thanks!

    Edward

    eastcoastguyz, May 28, 2008

  2. Thanks for your helpful posting!

    Edward

    eastcoastguyz, May 29, 2008

  3. eastcoastguyz

    Simon Slavin Guest

    You need to have a server, not a consumer machine. The Xserves behave as
    you were describing.
    Apple have rolled this feature into what they called 'Lights Out
    Management' (LOM) as described here

    Basically the computer has a processor (not part of the CPU) and ethernet
    port dedicated to handing lots of control and monitoring functions which
    can be handled across the ethernetwork. Not only does this give you
    startup and shutdown but also monitoring of temperature, disk space,
    whether someone is trying to open the case, and a bunch of other things.

    Simon.

    Simon Slavin, May 31, 2008