Wake on LAN with P4PE-X/SE and Netgear FA311

Discussion in 'Asus' started by =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Thomas_B=F6rkel?=, Mar 14, 2005.

  1. HI!

    I am using a P4PE-X/SE with a Netgear FA311 network card (onboard
    adapter is disabled) with Fecora Core 3. All components (board, adapter,
    OS) should be capable of wake on LAN. Driver used is natsemi.

    I have set the +5V jumper and enabled wake on keyboard, mouse and PCI in
    the BIOS. Wake on keyboard and mouse works.

    When shutting down, Fedora says "eth0 remains active for wake on lan".

    ethtool reports wol enabled (ubg).

    But when the computer is powered down, the light for this connection on
    the router is off and that should stay on, AFAIR.

    Also, it does not react on the magic wake-on frame being sent to its mac
    address (tried 2 different tools for this).

    I also tried under knoppix, because wol is supposed to work with that
    for sure, but it does not either.

    Any hints?

    Thanks!

    Thomas

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Thomas_B=F6rkel?=, Mar 14, 2005

  2. HI!

    Just found out, that the FA311 does not support WOL. :-((

    So, I will probably buy a FA312.

    Thomas

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Thomas_B=F6rkel?=, Mar 14, 2005

  3. Curious why you're using that Netgear card instead of the onboard LAN..

    Robert Hancock, Mar 14, 2005
  4. =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Thomas_B=F6rkel?=

    Bill E Guest

    This because the card loses power on power down. Boards with onboard
    network adaptors usually don't have WOL connectors. That lead that
    came with the Netgear needs to plug into something to work..

    Bill E, Mar 15, 2005
  5. One of the newer PCI standards (2.2?) allows cards to continue to
    receive power from the bus when the system is powered down, like for
    WOL, without any power connector. That Netgear may not support this though.

    Robert Hancock, Mar 15, 2005