Wake sleeping Mac OSX, comp.sys.mac.hardware.misc

Discussion in 'Apple' started by morenuf, Sep 20, 2003.

  1. morenuf

    morenuf Guest

    All I was attempting to accomplish was to wake a sleeping Mac G4
    remotely (2 G4s on same LAN).

    I have 2 G4s on a small network via a router and often wish to file
    share. This works if both are on and wake just fine.

    If one is asleep, the OSX Go To Server fails miserably after long delay.
    I can only get file sharing to work by going to remote G4 wake it, and
    return to the other G4 and successfully file share.

    OSX 10.2.4 on both G4s
    Router is MacSense (Xsense.com) MIH 130A XRouter Pro
    both G4s set Wake for Administrative Access

    I have found freeware Wake550 which is supposed to wake a sleeping
    computer. I can't get it to work. Found some info via Google about WOL
    (Wake On Lan) & Magic Packet which is how Wake550 works.

    Some posts from others who opened Port 9 for UDP and some who also
    recommended opening Port 2304 for UDP. These did not work either trying
    with Wake550.

    Should work but I am not a network expert, far from it.

    Appreciate comments.

    Morenuf

    morenuf, Sep 20, 2003

  2. morenuf

    Tom Stiller Guest

    Wake550 works as does the wakeonlan perl script. If both the waker and
    wakee are on the same LAN, you need not set any router port forwarding.

    Some things to check for Wake550:
    The correct I/P address (or properly mapped name) of the machine to be
    waked.

    The correct network broadcast address. Usually the I/P address of the
    target machine with the host address part set to all 1's. Example: my
    I/P address is 192.168.1.61 and the broadcast address for my network is
    192.168.1.255.

    The correct MAC address. You can find this from the Terminal.app with
    the 'ifconfig' command or from the Network perfpanel.

    Tom Stiller, Sep 20, 2003

  3. morenuf

    morenuf Guest

    Your advice was right on & correct. It works! I am a happy camper.

    Boy am I dense (lost too many neurons over the years). I had focused on
    trying to set port forwarding. I wasted much time trying various ports,
    and was attempting to set the IP 192.168.1.255 there in port forwarding.

    Should have set it there in Wake550 to the xxx.xxx.x.255 right off at
    the start of this little frustrating game.

    Now I can wake up the remote G4 and file share off it with reckless
    abandon, even if it goes to sleep.

    Thanks again. much appreciated.

    Morenuf

    +++++++++++++++++
    By any chance can you help on this one?

    The only TraceRoute programs I can get to work through this same
    MacSense Router are IPNetMonitor and WhatRoute.

    I got the IPNetMonitor & WhatRoute to work by switching protocol to ICMP
    for TraceRoute to work.

    I can't get TraceRoute in NetBarrierX3 or GlobalTraceRoute to work as
    they seem to be set to UDP by default and refuse to work through the
    router under OSX. they have nice geographic maps & other semi
    interesting features.

    Do I need to open a port on the router?

    thanks again.

    morenuf, Sep 20, 2003
  4. morenuf

    Tom Stiller Guest

    I have a Linksys router so my experience may not apply.
    I don't have either of those applications; however IFoundU, (see
    VersionTracker) works through my Linksys.
    No, I don't think it's a blocked port problem.

    Tom Stiller, Sep 20, 2003