    still performing better than what I've got right now.

    Thanks for any recommendations,
    Harry

    Harry Muscle, Oct 10, 2003

  2. Harry Muscle

    Lee Guest

    think you wanna be looking at the Thermalright SLK series hsf none of these
    include fan.

    Lee, Oct 10, 2003

  3. Harry Muscle

    loonym Guest

    He's pretty much excluded this series because of weight issues.
    My SLK900-A weighs in at 527g without a fan attached. Antec
    solution series heatsinks come with a very quiet fan and provide
    great performance for a budget hsf.

    loonym, Oct 10, 2003
  4. Harry Muscle

    R_Supp Guest

    "I'm not a big overclocker, so I don't need anything huge, I just need
    something that
    The above indicates that you think your temps are high. It would help if you
    gave this information so that others can "see" where you are coming from.
    I installed an XP2500 the other day with the stock cooler and fan and I have
    no problems with the temps given and the CPU running at stock speed.
    I was pleased to see the copper slug in the heatsink as I think this is a
    step up for AMD and was equally surprised to see that the fan peaks at a
    slow 3100RPM.
    For the coming summer I will get a higher RPM fan just in case I need it but
    will not fit it untill I think the CPU is getting too hot.(if that happens).

    Currently ambient temp is 23 C, Mobo is 25 C, CPU is 42 C and both HDDs are
    31 C.

    I think with a bit of overclocking, all I should need is to get a higher
    speed fan.

    R_Supp, Oct 11, 2003
  5. Harry Muscle

    loonym Guest

    The main difference that I noticed between the stock amd cooler
    and the antec model I mentioned is that the antec has more,
    thinner fins for more surface area.

    loonym, Oct 11, 2003
  6. Harry Muscle

    R_Supp Guest

    The stock cooler for an XP2400+ has a solid copper base with a heap of thin
    fins bunched close together and cooled by a 4100 RPM fan and this gives me
    an idle temp of around 48 C and it only takes the screensaver to be on and
    the temp jumps to over 53 C.
    As you can see, the computer wasn`t doing anything strenuous but had the
    heat. I have no idea where the temp would have ended if I had O/Ced the
    thing.
    I fitted a Volcano 9 with the fan cranked back to where I could live with it
    and temp dropped to 37C at idle.
    Where I am coming from is that the Volcano cooler and the stock XP2500+
    cooler are very similar with only a copper slug in the bottom and heaps of
    well spaced fins that the fresh air can really flow through quickly.

    I have read that copper pulls the heat quicker but can`t get rid of it as
    quick so maybe this is where the 2500 cooler leaves the 2400 cooler for
    dead.

    what you want.

    R_Supp, Oct 12, 2003
  7. Harry Muscle

    Matt Guest

    http://www.qtec.info/products/product.htm?artnr=13724
    It has the fan attached - so what!

    A few friends have been using them, and their verdict...
    Cheap, Quiet and Cool ... what else could you want?

    A non-exotic design, of Cu-Al cooler carrying an 80mm fan.

    Equipping the case with additional front intake and rear extract fans
    may d more good than changing the heatsink - if you don't give the HSF
    adequately cool air to work with, it will not cool well.

    Just the extract fan in my case was worth a good 7C off the temps -
    and this is probably typical.

    Matt, Oct 13, 2003