Want a SuperDrive? Just bought a Pioneer DVR-106...

Discussion in 'Apple' started by Adam Drew, Feb 3, 2004.

  1. Adam Drew

    Adam Drew Guest

    ....and it works great! I got mine from www.bcd2000.com for $123.65
    shipped. Burns DVDs at up to 4x and CDs at 16x.

    I upgraded the 12x Sony CD-R/W drive in my G4 with the new Pioneer
    DVR-106D. It was the bare-bones, white box model and came with no software.

    It's bootable and is fully supported by Toast and all of the iApps, as
    well as the Apple DVD player (under 10.3.2, at least). Just try to make
    sure you get one with 1.07 firmware, or else you'll have to flash it in
    a PC, as there are no Mac updaters yet. Also, there are some generic
    Acer and other brands that purport to be DVR-106 compatible (and
    probably are in PC land), but require a reflash to work in the Mac. The
    Pioneers, from what've read on xlr8yourmac.com, just work.

    Lemme know if any of y'all have any questions.

    Adam

    Adam Drew, Feb 3, 2004

  2. Adam Drew

    Adam Drew Guest

    Hmmm...guess I spoke too soon. There appears to be a slight issue in
    that iDVD 3 says the drive is incompatible. Gah.

    But I have Toast 6, so apparently I can export to DV and burn it with Toast.

    Adam

    Adam Drew, Feb 3, 2004

  3. Adam Drew

    Adam Drew Guest

    Nevermind, again. Zapped the PRAM and everything is happy again.

    Adam

    Adam Drew, Feb 3, 2004
  4. Adam Drew

    Sloopy Guest

    Everyone! Wait a few minutes. Everything will change again!

    -Sloopy

    Sloopy, Feb 3, 2004
  5. Adam Drew

    Adam Drew Guest

    Just trying to help, Sparky.

    Adam Drew, Feb 3, 2004
  6. What does it have that the 105 doesn't have?

    Michelle Steiner, Feb 3, 2004
    DVD+R/W writing capabilities. Disabled in Apple shipping 106 drives.

    Chong Woo Paig, Feb 3, 2004
  8. Adam Drew

    Adam Drew Guest

    Adam Drew, Feb 3, 2004