Want to add 2nd Hard Drive to Lattitude D810

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Rich, Dec 11, 2006.

  1. Rich

    Rich Guest

    i'd like to replace the 80gb hard drive in my dell d810 with a larger
    capacity drive and then use the 80g drive as a backup. i have to do
    this in a couple of stages.

    i first have to clone the current drive to the new drive. in order to
    do that i need to be able to access the new hard drive. i think what
    i need to accomplish this is a dell 2nd hard drive module which i
    believe swaps out with the cd/dvd player. is this correct? will the
    new drive simply install in the 2nd hard drive module or do i also
    need a precision M70 hard drive caddy and connector or is that
    included in the 2nd hard drive module?

    when i've cloned the drive i plan to swap them...the new drive will be
    the internal drive and the 80g drive will be the backup. i think all
    i need to do is simply put the new drive in the internal drive caddy
    and the old 80g drive in the 2nd hard drive module, right?

    comments or suggestions are welcome.

    73,
    rich, n9dko

    Rich, Dec 11, 2006

  2. Rich

    Eugene Guest

    Thats an option, though those are hard to find and a little $. I bought a
    $20 USB enclosure and use it.

    Eugene, Dec 11, 2006

  3. Are you sure that a 2nd hard drive module even exists? They are not
    common, although for some models they do exist.

    You should be able to do this all, instead, with a $10 case or a more
    versatile $10 to $20 cable, both using USB.

    Barry Watzman, Dec 11, 2006
  4. Rich

    Rich Guest

    i'm assuming you mean the 2nd hard drive caddy. found one but haven't
    bought yet. are my suppositions correct though?

    73,
    rich, n9dko

    Rich, Dec 11, 2006
  5. Rich

    Rich Guest

    yup. found one.
    what kind of case are you refering to?

    73,
    rich, n9dko

    Rich, Dec 11, 2006
  6. Rich

    Ben Myers Guest

    Inexpensive kits are available to hold an ATAPI/IDE drive in a small external
    case and connect it to a system via USB. Thereafter, it becomes visible as yet
    another hard drive. Very easy to do, and now becoming a fairly standard way of
    adding a second drive for auxiliary storage or backup.

    I have not looked lately to see whether these kits are available in mass market
    outlets (Frys, Best Buy, Circuit City), but they probably are, and at a premium
    price compared to the zillions of them up for sale on eBay... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Dec 11, 2006
  7. USB External 2.5" drive case:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290060708280

    USB Adapter cable:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330061292739

    Functionally, the cable and the case are identical as far as 2.5" IDE
    drives are concerned (this case does not support SATA, but other cases
    might be available that do). The cable is for temporary use, the case
    if for more or less permanent use. However the cable does support all
    drive types (both desktop and laptop, both IDE and SATA), while the case
    is for 2.5" laptop IDE drives only. If either of these auctions is
    gone, don't worry, there are thousands of these exact and similar other
    items on E-Bay constantly.

    [I HIGHLY recommend that particular adapter cable set for anyone who
    does any type of computer service.]

    Barry Watzman, Dec 11, 2006
  8. Rich

    S.Lewis Guest

    For 2.5" drives (be sure to look for ATA/IDE compatibility, as some may be
    SATA only):
    http://tinyurl.com/yxj6ak

    S.Lewis, Dec 11, 2006
  9. Rich

    Rich Guest

    ok, thanks.

    73,
    rich, n9dko

    Rich, Dec 11, 2006
  10. Rich

    S.Lewis Guest

    I've got one, and they are a totally cool and very handy thing to have
    around, btw.

    S.Lewis, Dec 11, 2006
  11. Rich

    Rich Guest

    i'm a bit anal when it comes to backing up data. i keep imaged
    backups of each partition on a separate partition of the main drive
    and on an external drive. i keep doomsday images on DVD's (updated
    2-3 times a year). i want a second hard drive partly for backup and
    partly for expanded storage space. we travel with the laptop and end
    up with a ton of photos after each trip.

    i've looked at the enclosures and cable option as well as the 2nd hard
    drive module option and am leaning towards the module option.
    advantage is not having to run a cable to connect the 2nd drive to the
    laptop and in an RV with limited desk space not having to screw around
    with cables and another box sitting on the desk is a good thing.

    73,
    rich, n9dko

    Rich, Dec 11, 2006
  12. Rich

    S.Lewis Guest

    Not sure what Dell is getting for them, but over on ebay:

    http://tinyurl.com/y8ateq

    S.Lewis, Dec 11, 2006
  13. Rich

    Eugene Guest

    For the module to place a drive in the CD/DVD bay is the hard to find one,
    thats why I suggested a USB enclosure because you can get them easily and
    cheaply.
    I do that now.

    Eugene, Dec 12, 2006
  14. Rich

    Rich Guest

    i've found several on-line.

    73,
    rich, n9dko

    Rich, Dec 12, 2006
  15. Rich

    Rich Guest

    yes, i've found several over on e-bay. a little more $ than an
    enclosure and cable but a neater install and it saves some valuable
    desktop space.

    73,
    rich, n9dko

    Rich, Dec 12, 2006