    gone. So is it better now, saver to buy a ati card?

    thanks in advance

    Dick

    anm, Oct 28, 2007

  2. anm

    Steve Guest

    I did the same a few months ago and had no problems. This is after many
    years of Nvidia products. Your mileage may vary.

    Steve, Oct 28, 2007

  3. anm

    Wookie Guest

    Not much difference at all, no matter what some fan boys wills ay. Just
    make sure to remove the drivers before you install the new video card. You
    can use add and remove programs .. even better is a program like driver
    cleaner.

    Wookie, Oct 28, 2007
  4. anm

    Augustus Guest

    Unisntall the Nvidia drivers properly first, use a utility like Driver
    Cleaner, follow it's instructions, install the ATI drivers, you should have
    no issues. Sometimes just uninstalling the Nvidia drivers, shutting down and
    rebooting with the new ATI card, and then installing the latest Catlysts can
    give issues. Sometimes. Quite often it works just fine, but when it doesn't
    you'll wish you went the Driver Cleaner route...

    Augustus, Oct 28, 2007
  5. : Hi,
    :
    : I always have used nvidia cards (or matrox before that), but now i want to
    : try a ati card, what problems can i expect or what is the difference?
    : Because i once try a ati card (a few years ago) but i had so many problems
    : what that, that i return that card for a nvidia card. And the problems were
    : gone. So is it better now, saver to buy a ati card?
    :
    : thanks in advance
    :
    : Dick
    :

    I think once you make the switch to ATI, you'll be fine. I've only experienced a driver
    prob with AMD taking over. So I run a driver version or two behind what is current at
    amd.ati...........

    I have my graphics card history (and current PC's) at

    http://www.smokeypoint.com/My_PC.htm

    I of course was a 3Dfx cultist. Then Nvidea bought them out yada yada.. So I went with
    Nvidea GF2, GF3 cards around that era. This was fine at first, but I quickly got tired of
    all the driver version change to run each different game required a different nvidea
    driver. Then I wasn't guar en tea'ed that the game wouldn't lock up.
    So I switched to ATI. I enjoy 10,000 % more rl game time with ATI - that is what I wanted,
    ymmv.

    I currently have the x850 and x1600 in my two game machines. I almost got caught up in the
    SLI movement !
    I had two voodoo 2 graphics cards in SLI from 3Dfx and that was so fantastic. The "depth
    of field" was so marvelous !
    I pretty much guess that Nvidea's SLI comes from 3Dfx there, and I still hear they are
    putting the 3Dfx api into the Nvidea cards. heh, there was some already creeping in...
    So I fought the feeling. I am happy staying with ATI. Crossfire gets sorted out, I will
    get it.

    I certainly think it bears watching what will happen when dx 10 goes main stream. I mean
    a workable card purchasable up and running (can you say decent frame rate ?). Don't know
    who will be the victor there. I wait for that.
    Mean while I watch the shader differences between my x850 and x1600. Heh, my x850 is
    still winning.
    They both run about the same fps. Picture looks better imho on the x850.

    Like the thread here says, make sure you remove all references to anything Nvidea from
    your PC.

    Hope this help,

    ** No Fate **

    cheers,
    Far Niente dracman
    Tomb Raider: Shotgun City
    http://www.smokeypoint.com/tomb.htm

    -=-=-

    ** Final Fantasy Online mega ingame Pictures ! **
    ** for those whom wonder about "what's it like anyway huh"

    http://www.smokeypoint.com/ffxionline/traod.html
    http://www.smokeypoint.org/ffxionline/rikku/jibb/Jueno.html

    -=-=-
    Aliase female hume rogue lvl 67 PVE solo
    http://armory.worldofwarcraft.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Zul'jin&n=Aliase
    Subtlety
    5/19/34

    Zebby female NE Huntress lvl 66 / Aja nightstalker cat lvl 65 (bite,prowl)
    PVE solo
    http://armory.worldofwarcraft.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Zul'jin&n=Zebby
    Marksmanship
    17/30/10

    http://www.smokeypoint.com/if_airport/telaar.html
    http://www.smokeypoint.com/if_airport/IF_airport.htm

    http://www.smokeypoint.org/wow/worldofwarcraft1.html

    Iacta alea est (Latin: "The die is cast")

    Dr Richard Cranium, Oct 28, 2007
  6. anm

    anm Guest

    Thanks for all the answers, I guess it's alright to buy one. Thanks again.

    gr

    Dick

    anm, Oct 29, 2007
  7. anm

    Steve Evans Guest

    I've gone from 9800 to x850xt to x1950pro, and all cards have
    performed well for me. I like to run a very quiet system, so it is an
    added bonus that the last 2 cards on the list have been 'silenced',
    using the fan tweak feature, on the excellent ati tray tools.
    Don't worry about having to install .net 2, or the ati control centre,
    as these memory hogs can be brought under control with a bit of
    registry/service editing!

    -
    steve <AT> steveevans <DOT> org
    -

    Steve Evans, Nov 5, 2007
  8. anm

    ATIuser Guest

    Are you saying that it's possible to install an ATI X1950 card and
    drivers *without* installing .NET? That would interest me since my
    current ATI card (9800Pro) doesn't need .NET but afaik the later
    ones do and I don't have it installed.

    ATIuser, Nov 5, 2007
  9. anm

    Steve Evans Guest

    It's been a while since I did the install so this is from memory. I
    recall that it's possible to install .net2 and the full ATI package,
    then after a reboot (or two!), remove the registry entries, and
    startup services that the drivers leave behind. You *may* see an
    increase in memory usage after the above, but it's nothing like the
    amount used if you leave all the startup junk in place.
    I see approx 160MB used after a reboot of my PC, which is pretty good
    IMHO....
    All subsequent tweaks to the card are done with the excellent tray
    tools, and it's massive 5MB memory usage! ;)

    -
    steve <AT> steveevans <DOT> org
    -

    Steve Evans, Nov 5, 2007
  10. anm

    Mike Ray Guest

    Somewhat OT but what is the problem with .NET? (I ask because I just
    installed it for PAINT.NET) Are you just trying to run a very 'lean'
    system without extra junk or are there issues with .NET?
    -mike

    Mike Ray, Nov 6, 2007
  11. anm

    ATIuser Guest

    Yes, I do like to run a lean machine and have ripped out large
    unneeded parts of my XP-Pro-SP2 system. But also.....

    There are no (tech) issues with .NET that I know of except that it
    is *yet another fat layer* of MS bloat and seemingly it's primarily
    beneficial to s/w developers, not end users.
    Some folks think it's the thin end of the wedge from MS to
    discreetly push another corporate goal: more web based services,
    software and even op/sys thereby turning your local system into
    little more than a dumb terminal. Imagine the day when to use
    your Windows system, you have to be logged on to MS for dynamic
    authentication. Not far off if MS get their way. There's a whole
    army of users who are against .Net for these reasons.

    <back to ATI cards>
    If I could install an x1950 or similar in my next build w/o having
    to install .NET to install the driver package, I'd want to do that.
    I e-mailed nVidia a while back and *their* drivers do not need
    ..NET to install. hhmmm.

    ATIuser, Nov 6, 2007
  12. anm

    Mike Ray Guest

    I hear ya. I am not an MS fan at all, but when starting out years ago
    (1980's)with my first system I thought the MACs were just over priced.
    Going with windows and not apple has sure had its (few) ups and (many)
    downs but once your locked in (I have 2 desk tops and 2 laptops on my
    home net work) it becomes more difficult and expensive to convert.

    Mike Ray, Nov 6, 2007
  13. anm

    James Guest

    You can always install the Omega drivers. These are third party
    freeware drievrs based on ATI's drivers but use different control
    apps. They don't require .net and often are tweaked a bit to be a
    little faster than ATI drivers. I've had good luck with them.

    James

    James, Nov 6, 2007
  14. anm

    ATIuser Guest

    mmmm. Do you have a link for them?

    ATIuser, Nov 6, 2007
  15. anm

    ATIuser Guest

    True, I keep sniffing around *nix but really don't feel it cuts the
    mustard for the average user yet. One day........

    ATIuser, Nov 6, 2007
  16. anm

    James Guest

    James, Nov 7, 2007
  17. anm

    ATIuser Guest

    ATIuser, Nov 7, 2007
  18. anm

    Red Cloud Guest

    Yeah I was quite bother by .NET. I was thinking what the hell is that
    and why
    I've to install that. I couldn't install ATI driver with .NET??? NO
    no I got it around.
    Uninstalled that MS NET.

    Red Cloud, Nov 10, 2007
  19. anm

    ATIuser Guest

    If you uninstalled .NET, were you still able to install ATI drivers?

    ATIuser, Nov 10, 2007
  20. anm

    Steve Evans Guest

    No, he probably just went for a driver only install.
    I always do a system image before anything major, like installing .net
    for example, but to be honest, I don't know what all the fuss is
    about. With a bit of registry and services tweaking after installing
    the .net and ati drivers, I was able to get rid of most of the
    memory-hogging crap, and as stated before, get my memory usage pretty
    much as it was before the installation.

    It's only a problem for those that don't know how to tweak yet still
    look at their system resource usage......

    -
    steve <AT> steveevans <DOT> org
    -

    Steve Evans, Nov 10, 2007