    one of those websites where you put in all the info of what you want to sell
    and they tell you what they will pay and its totally a ridiculous price that
    they come up with.

    Anthony M, Apr 27, 2007

  2. Anthony M

    Fergus Guest

    rule of thumb,,,,

    Divide the price you paid, by 2.

    work out 25% of that figure.

    that's what you can expect to get for it...............if you are lucky.

    nearly a year old in the comp business makes it ancient.

    Fergus, Apr 27, 2007

  3. Anthony M

    S.Lewis Guest

    Ebay or craigslist.com maybe.

    If you have all the original packaging, CD's etc, it will certainly help
    improve your chances for a better price.

    You could set a reserve of $500 on ebay (plus shipping) and see what
    happens. Maybe someone runs the price above even what you hope.

    Stew

    S.Lewis, Apr 27, 2007
  4. Anthony M

    Tom Scales Guest

    Computers have zero resale value. The problem is that the PentiumD 3.0
    is TWO full generations back. Quite slow compared to a decent Core 2
    Duo. If it wasn't, you wouldn't be looking at a new machine, would you?

    I bought a similar XPS410/Dimension 9200 three months ago for $863
    shipped brand-new. E6600 Core 2 Duo -- which is a high-end processor.
    I had a lower quality video card, 1Gb of ram, but a bigger hard drive.

    You might consider popping a cheap PCIe video card in it and selling the
    7900GTX separately. You might even consider buying your new machine
    with the cheapest video card and doing a swap.

    Honestly, though, the 400 is a great machine. What are you doing that
    would make you change?

    Anyway. $600 is too high. Might get it on Craigslist though if you're
    in a big city.

    Tom Scales, Apr 27, 2007
  5. Anthony M

    Journey Guest

    There's no way I would pay $600 for a used Pentium-D at this point.
    However, I've had great success selling computers on eBay and recently
    Craig's list.

    In the past I've been able to sell right before an incremental change
    in technology or befor a new model comes out. Case in point -- sold
    my Canon S2 IS ultra-zoom digital camera for $369, and a month or so
    later bought the S3 IS for $399. A good upgrade for $30.

    Now though it seems like technology is changing a little too fast and
    prices are dropping too fast for me to be able to upgrade for little
    cost by buying / selling at the right points, so I am keeping things
    longer. Even after the S4 IS comes out, I will keep the S3 probably
    until it dies.

    The good thing is that technology now is "good enough" for me to want
    to keep it longer. Yes, I would love to have a larger articulating
    LCD in an updated version of the S3, but it's good enough to be able
    to take great pictures.

    It's really interesting that "good enough" has arrived around the same
    time (last year or so) for my wants in almost every category - PDA,
    cell, MP3 player, LCD monitors, photo and daily printers, hard drive
    capacity, CPU power, webcam, digital camera and camcorder,
    self-setting atomic watches and clocks, and on and on.

    Anyway, good luck selling your Pentium D. I would gladly sell my
    Pentium D but at this point I wouldn't even sell it to a friend who
    trusts me because to be honest I'd have to direct the person to at
    least a Dell outlet Core Duo. So my Pentium D is going to live out
    the rest of its life as a test machine, download machine, and home
    stereo MP3 player :) (until someday I donate it unless it dies
    first).

    Journey, Apr 27, 2007
  6. Anthony M

    Ron Hardin Guest

    My main machine is this fine win95 133MHz 2gb HD 32Mb ram machine,
    from 1996. It does most things I need just fine, and is host to
    a huge number of /bin/ksh scripts that handle audio recordings off
    the radio and saving them automatically, as well as having telnet to
    dial into work when I work at home.

    My Inspiron 1200 laptop handles the digital camera, and the odd
    website that doesn't work with Netscape 4.0 on the win95 machine.

    What more to you need?

    The nice part about advancing technology is that replacement is
    really cheap, when the time comes ; not that you need to upgrade
    to play advanced pong better.

    My advice is keep the machine ; for future parts if nothing else.

    The market value of computers drops faster than new cars, but the
    value they were bought for does not. It lasts for years.

    Ron Hardin, Apr 27, 2007
  7. Anthony M

    Journey Guest

    You're so right that although it's a common thought that computers
    become obsolete after a short time, it's often not true if the
    computer fits the needs / wants of the user. So, the "good enough"
    point can vary greatly.

    For me I think I'm at that point, for a while at least. The next
    change for me, depending on finances, might be HD. First though I
    need a place to put it so I'm in the market for a condo.

    I like the web pages generated from your Linux scripts. I wonder
    where Annie is at -- I think I looked once and the updates had stopped
    and you were photographing another dog.

    Journey, Apr 27, 2007
  8. Anthony M

    Ron Hardin Guest

    Annie died of kidney failure, that had been slowly growing for over a
    year and reached the tipping point Apr 4 2006, when we put her down
    because things were going to get worse pretty fast at that point.

    Vicki was born Apr 6, so I picked up where I left off, more or less,
    with her, a couple months later.

    The way life works is that people live longer than dogs, so you can
    count on going through a number of them, until one day you die first.

    The scripts are unix-like but in fact run under windows 95, with MKS
    Korn Shell, which does a rough version of what Cygwin does more
    elaborately today. (A windows machine without Cygwin isn't even
    a computer, in my opinion.)

    Ron Hardin, Apr 27, 2007
  9. Anthony M

    RnR Guest

    I hate to shock you but pc's drop so fast in value, really. I haven't
    tried to shop for your model but I wouldn't be surprised if it were
    1/2 of what you paid for it or even less. I know it can be a shocker
    and honestly unless you need the money, I'd keep it as a spare or just
    use it as your main pc.

    My advice is unless you are a hard core gamer, don't buy the latest
    and greatest or don't buy the top model because you will pay a premium
    for it only to see how much it depreciates shortly thereafter. And/or
    keep your existing hardware for years to get the most bang for the
    buck (if possible).

    RnR, Apr 27, 2007
  10. Anthony M

    Journey Guest

    Sorry to hear about Annie. I've outlived several cats. I taught all
    of them to fetch and have videos, it's pretty amazing. I tilted
    things in my favor because I always selected special cats that loved
    people (in my volunteer work with the Humane society I visit about 3
    cats / week for 20 minutes each). The last cat, Mischief, seemed more
    like a dog than a cat, and I could throw the glitter ball 50 times and
    he'd fetch it. In the middle of the night he'd drop the glitter ball
    on my face and if I didn't respond he'd keep batting it into my face
    until I relented and threw it, and at 2am I'd be playing fetch with my
    cat while I'm half asleep.

    I will look into Cygwin. The programmer (and DBA) part of me just
    won't go away. I'm thinking about developing something in C#, since I
    already know Java but don't like investing so much energy in a
    server-side only language. Either that or possibly developing for the
    Pocket PC, but I am very disappointed that handhelds seem to be dying
    in favor of PDA phones. I would want to write something fairly
    "simple", but make it the best of it's type -- like the best tip
    calculator or something like that, which would have a basic mode and
    an advanced mode with total flexibility.

    Didn't Windows have something called Windows Scripting Host or
    something like that? I wonder if that's still alive, I haven't heard
    anything about it for a while. There is also REXX which is a language
    that I love, very unique (like PERL, which also runs on Windows),
    concise, and powerful once you get to know it.

    Journey, Apr 28, 2007
  11. Anthony M

    paulmd Guest

    I disagree with that. P3s still fetch 50-100 dollars. A nice system
    like that, I think you could get your price, to the right buyer. Maybe
    a little less.

    paulmd, Apr 28, 2007
  12. Anthony M

    Fergus Guest

    don't hold your breath.................

    Fergus, Apr 28, 2007
  13. Anthony M

    Anthony Guest

    The scratch and dent XPS 400's with only 1 gig of ram and a Nvidia 6800 are
    going for 889 bucks on the Dell surplus site. Thats with a 1 year warranty
    and no monitor. Thats what I based my price on pretty much since my pc is in
    MINT condition ( I only used it for surfing the web and email and an
    occasional game ) plus has better parts in it. But I can see why I wouldn't
    get what I want with it being almost a year old and no warranty. Just a
    question , someone said my cpu is 2 generations behind? I know core2 duo is
    new but what else came after my Pentium D Processor 930 with Dual Core
    Technology cpu? Anyway thanks for the replies.

    Anthony, Apr 28, 2007
  14. Anthony M

    Tom Scales Guest

    That's unrealistic. The outlet store is terrible for models that are not
    current. I don't know why. My XPS410/Dimension 9200 with the E6600, one
    of the higher end processors, and XP Pro ($100 upgrade) was only $863
    shipped brand-new.

    An XPS410 with an E6300, ATI X1300, Vista Home Basic and 1GB ram is $499
    on the outlet. One with an E6600, MCE, 320GB drive, 2GB, X1300, Sound
    Blaster X-FI is only $809. The P4D-3.0 is slower than the E6300.

    You've got a better video card, so I'd put your machine at about
    $500-550 from the outlet, but that is with a full brand-new Dell
    warranty. Private party, $350-450.

    Tom Scales, Apr 28, 2007
  15. Anthony M

    Journey Guest

    It doesn't matter how you used your computer -- used is used, period.
    Dell outlet PCs are in mint condition.

    Journey, Apr 28, 2007
  16. Anthony M

    Paul Guest

    Ebay it Anthony, if $600 us what you want just set the reserve there.. Not
    sure you'll get it but worth a shot, I've seen some things sell much higher
    then I would ever imagine, example: people are buying "used" iPods there for
    much more then it would cost to get a new/refurbed directly from Apple which
    are actaully brand new and includes the full waranty from time of purchase..

    Paul, Apr 28, 2007
  17. Anthony M

    S.Lewis Guest

    And all of the skeptics here may be right, but I still maintain that I'd try
    ebay with a reserve of $500 and reasonable (not INFLATED) shipping, with
    lots of photos showing original packaging, media, etc emphasizing tender
    loving care.

    It would've been a huge help if there were remaining warranty to be
    transferred. Additionally, I'd recommend listing the system service tag in
    the auction with a link to the Dell support site.

    Someone not particularly savvy on pricing might snap it up. Got little or
    nothing to lose.

    Stew

    S.Lewis, Apr 28, 2007
  18. Anthony M

    Journey Guest

    Let me clarify that a bit. My "scratch and dent" outlet XPS 410 is in
    mint condition, and I wasn't able to find a single scratch or dent. I
    have noted similar comments by others on this group.

    So, I can't say for sure that all Dell outlet PCs are in "mint
    condition", but that is how I perceive them.

    Even at the outlet though "buyer beware" holds true. Some older
    models go for much more than I would expect -- for example, an
    Inspiron 700 or 710 seems way overpriced.

    I was fortunate to find one with the 6600 Core 2 Duo 4M Cache, 4G RAM,
    dual DVD ROM and DVD RW drives, 256M video card, and many other
    extras, for $1,059.

    Journey, Apr 28, 2007
  19. Anthony M

    Anthony Guest

    They are scratch and dented so by definition they are not mint but I get
    your meaning :)

    Anthony, Apr 29, 2007
  20. Anthony M

    Anthony Guest

    Damn I didn't see this before my last reply :) Anyway I think I am going to
    ebay it and set a 500 dollar reserve...I may even ship it for free , not
    sure yet. I have to think about this.

    Anthony, Apr 29, 2007