Warning: archiving imap mail

Discussion in 'Apple' started by gutts, Apr 26, 2005.

  1. gutts

    gutts Guest

    Hi,

    A little warning to anyone out there who wants to archive imap
    mailboxes:

    DRAGGING THEM TO THE DESKTOP DOESN'T WORK!

    From nasty experience, I've just discovered that imap mailboxes don't
    behave in the same way as ordinary mailboxes (.mbox suffix). imap
    mailboxes (ending in a .imapmbox suffix) only contain a cached version
    of what's already on the server, and Mail.app doesn't easily re-import
    them - all that happens if you double click them is that they get
    attached to an empty email - you cannot see the contents. This behaviour
    is in contrast with "ordinary" mailbox files (.mbox) - you can readily
    see the contents by double-clicking.

    There's a work-around for importing .imapmbox files on the web:

    <http://www.cedar.cs.rice.edu/~druths/dalchemy/>

    It works, but it's a PITA to have to do for every archived imap mailbox
    which I thought was easily de-archivable.

    Wonder if this is different in Tiger?

    rgrds, gtpcha

    gutts, Apr 26, 2005