Warning: Catalyst 7.99 Trashed Windows 98

Discussion in 'ATI' started by bagdad, Apr 29, 2004.

  1. bagdad

    bagdad Guest

    I tried to update from the Catalyst 7.90 to 7.99 on Windows 98 SE.
    7.90 worked. My CMOs and chip set drivers worked with 7.9.

    I installed 7.99. It went OK.

    I tried to boot. It hung while starting windows. It never got the
    graphic screen. It was still in DOS mode loading and I would see the
    DOS prompt. It was not a black screen, at least not on my machine.
    It don't look exactly like the black screen problem in the Ati
    knowledge data base.

    I tried again, and the same thing happened. I went into safe mode and
    rebotted to get into VGA mode. Windows would not start.

    I went again into safe mode and uninstalled all ATI software thru
    add/remove programs. That appeared to work.

    Then I booted again. The same thing happened. Even after
    uninstalling the Catalyst software, Windows would not start, except in
    safe mode. My system looks gone. I don't have a clue of what to
    change to try again.

    My record of some 10 years never having a trouble free installation of
    any ATI card continues. However, before, Windows always survived.

    bagdad, Apr 29, 2004

  2. bagdad

    Dodgy Guest

    Catalyst 7.99? Eh? What time machine did you use to get that?

    I wouldn't blame ATI too much for things, their drivers have got a lot
    better recently, not that it sounds like you're using anything recent
    though. My 98 machine ate itself within 6 months and didn't even have
    a gaming video card with all the associated drivers.

    D0d6y.

    Dodgy, Apr 29, 2004

  3. bagdad

    patrickp Guest

    Ati's uninstalls are not very effective. Download the
    cat-uninstaller.exe from
    http://www.ati.com/support/drivers/misc/catalystutils.html and run it.
    That'll clear the Ati stuff off your system much more effectively

    patrickp

    - take five to email me

    patrickp, Apr 29, 2004
  4. I thought it was (4.3) wme-catalyst-7-981-040127m-013420c?

    Danny Greaves, Apr 30, 2004
  5. bagdad

    Asestar Guest

    NO no .. that catalyst 7.991.xxx are catalyst 4.3 for winMe/98.

    Translating original post (to normal versions):
    Catalyst 4.3 trashed my windows 98. Upgraded from 4.2 to 4.3. and so on..

    Asestar, Apr 30, 2004
  6. Woops! I should have looked a little closer. I assumed I had 4.3 installed but
    your correct and i'm using 4.2.

    Danny Greaves, Apr 30, 2004