    Question:

    Can I generate a boot disk from snow leopard, one which would included
    updated drivers and disk utility etc ? (not not the whole system drive). ?

    JF Mezei, Dec 21, 2013

  2. JF Mezei

    bob Guest

    Interesting, which verions? I ask because I installed my mac mini from
    a Snow Leopard DVD and had no problem with a magic mouse/wireless
    keyboard. That was one of the later (perhaps last) versions of the
    Snow Leopard DVDs (not sure if it was 10.6.8, but definitely a later
    point release), so this may be dependent on which particular version of
    disk you have.

    Robin

    bob, Dec 21, 2013

  3. JF Mezei

    JF Mezei Guest

    It was the first Snow Leopard DVD so I guess 10.6.0

    JF Mezei, Dec 21, 2013
  4. JF Mezei

    Your Name Guest

    The specifications for the Magic Mouse on Apple's website state the
    minimum OS requirements as:

    10.5.8 or later with Wireless Mouse Software Update 1.0
    or 10.6.1 or later with Wireless Mouse Software Update 1.0

    If you can create a boot disk with the Wireless Mouse Software Update
    1.0 (or newer version if there is one) already installed, then it would
    likely work.

    Your Name, Dec 21, 2013
  5. JF Mezei

    Your Name Guest

    Opps, sorry, that should obviously have said if you can create a boot
    disk with *10.6.1 and* the Wireless Mouse Software Update 1.0 (or newer
    version if there is one) already installed.

    Your Name, Dec 21, 2013
  6. JF Mezei

    Jim Gibson Guest

    Over this past weekend I installed Snow Leopard on a Mac Pro (1,1) from
    the original disk and had no problem using the Magic Mouse.

    Jim Gibson, Dec 23, 2013
  7. I've been using Magic Mouse with Snow Leopard for years, and never had
    that problem. After turning the mouse off and on (mostly just when
    changing the batteries) I have to click it a few times and it will
    reconnect.

    Barry Margolin, Dec 24, 2013
  8. Yes, that's the trick. Click the Magic Mouse after changing batteries.

    (You can also reconnect from System Prefs/Mouse if you have that open,
    but clicking the mouse is easier.)

    Don't know why that's necessary. One doesn't have to type on an Apple
    wireless keyboard to make it reconnect after the batteries are
    changed, so does one have to "click" the Magic Trackpad in that
    situation for it to reconnect. Maybe they managed to avoid the
    mouse's issue when they created the keyboard and trackpad....

    Martin

    Martin Frost me at invalid stanford daht edu, Dec 24, 2013
  9. JF Mezei

    dorayme Guest

    I will try to be more patient and report back if it still does not
    work. In fact, why don't I try it now? ... turns off mouse... goes
    vacuum the joint for Xmas turkey and mild festivities etc...

    Well, what d'yer know, Barry? It's on after a click.

    Algorithm:

    1. Turn on mouse
    2. Vacuum premises
    3. Click a couple of times
    4. See how Bob gets to be your uncle.

    dorayme, Dec 24, 2013
  10. I can't believe Apple forgot to mention that a vacuum is a required
    accessory for the Magic Mouse.

    Barry Margolin, Dec 24, 2013
  11. JF Mezei

    Your Name Guest

    It's not a Magic Mouse accessory ... it's a hidden built-in feature.
    Put the Mighty Mouse on the floor and use the appropriate free app, and
    it runs around the house like a Roomba robot vacuum cleaner. ;-)

    Your Name, Dec 24, 2013
  12. JF Mezei

    dorayme Guest

    Don't be too hard on it Barry, it probably and justifiably reasoned
    that most people have them.

    dorayme, Dec 24, 2013
  13. JF Mezei

    dorayme Guest

    Martin Frost me at invalid stanford daht edu

    As it happens, today the mouse just stopped working, put in new
    batteries, (twice, even measured the voltage and they are all new), no
    cursor! Now even restart does not bring it back. The trackpad on MB
    still operates fine, so does an old tethered USB Apple Pro which I am
    forced now to use again.

    The little green light on my MM flashes continuuously for a very few
    secs when turned on, then intermittently in regular pattern (I think
    this is normal).

    I note that Bluetooth: Not Available is greyed out in the BT icon to
    the right top on my screen, also that there is no BT options in my Sys
    Prefs? Are the options triggered by a properly transmitting BT device?
    If so, some thing seems to have happened to my mouse? Never been
    dropped or anything and is not all that old. Before contacted Apple
    where I bought it, anyone got any suggestions?

    dorayme, Jan 14, 2014
  14. JF Mezei

    David Empson Guest

    No, they are triggered by the availability of Bluetooth hardware support
    in the Mac. You should have Bluetooth available in System Preferences
    even if you have no Bluetooth peripherals in range.

    Have a look in System Profiler > Bluetooth, which reveals your
    computer's hardware support for Bluetooth. If you get a message claiming
    there is no Bluetooth, then something is wrong with your Mac's Bluetooth
    hardware (or possibly the drivers for it). I'd suggest restarting but I
    see you already tried that.

    With recent Macs (and I think all Intel Macs) you should also see a
    "Bluetooth USB Host Controller" item listed as a USB peripheral under
    the USB category in System Profiler.

    In some Macs (notably a Mac Mini) I've experienced intermittent
    disappearance of the Bluetooth USB host controler which may have been
    heat related. It only happened a couple of times and came back after a
    restart.
    No evidence (from this post) that there is anything wrong with the
    mouse, just the Mac.

    David Empson, Jan 14, 2014
  15. JF Mezei

    dorayme Guest

    I was puzzled by the absence of any reference to Bluetooth in my Sys
    Prefs, it is still missing! I am pretty sure it was there previously.

    "No information found" next to Bluetooth in Sys Profile/ Hardware. I
    will try turning off the MB and leaving it a while.

    Yes, I get:
    BRCM2070 Hub
    Bluetooth Module

    mmm... well, I have had a really good run with this MB! I might try
    turning off the whole thing and leaving it overnight.

    Thanks a lot for the information.

    I was hoping this would not be the case. <g>

    dorayme, Jan 14, 2014
  16. Apple's Bluetooth drivers are garbage. That it stops working is the
    best you can hope for when it fails. A2DP headsets often cause a kernel
    panic when they're turned on or off. The driver fails to avoid
    frequencies that are in use so throughput stutters near WiFi. Devices
    can get into a bad state where pairing becomes mismatched until manually
    un-paired and re-paired. Device browsing rarely works on desktop MacOS
    and mobile MacOS doesn't even support file transfer.

    It's quite possible that you have a sophisticated BT device (phone,
    headset, mouse, remote control) or interference in the area that's
    crashing your driver. I recommend turning off BT and using a wired
    mouse. I've tried using a Magic trackpad on two different laptops at
    work on different OSes. It was nothing but stuttering, hangs, and
    panics in Apple's BT driver.

    Kevin McMurtrie, Jan 14, 2014
  17. JF Mezei

    dorayme Guest

    Well, ok, there are many variable factors here to consider. Not sure
    what was causing the trouble. I have noticed odd slowdowns in the
    cursor operations on other occasions, I always think it batteries worn
    and I replace (but cunningly keep the old ones because they test well
    on a multimeter and I reintroduce them to other unsuspecting devices
    like a radio I have that is very happy with any battery that is not
    quite out of juice).

    Is there any way of getting better drivers or is this a Windows type
    of option, no one talks drivers with Macs much, is it firmware? Can
    anything be done that is not electronic and soldering?

    I never had any trouble with my old Kensington BT mouse, at least not
    that I can recall. But I am in a different building to when I had
    that. I have no personal other BT devices.

    dorayme, Jan 14, 2014
  18. JF Mezei

    dorayme Guest

    I turned MB off for an hour or so and the BT mouse is now working ok?

    Kevin McMurtie thinks badly of the drivers. Don't know if I can do
    anything about such drivers, firmware?

    dorayme, Jan 14, 2014
  19. JF Mezei

    erilar Guest

    I've had to use my old plug-in mouse when my BT mouse batteries get too
    low without my noticing(I use rechargeables in several things, so the
    mouse, which gobbles batteries much faster than my BT keyboard is just
    one more), and sometimes it's a real battle to get the laptop to
    recognize it when I switch back. Turning it off completely for a while
    sometimes wakes up the connection again.

    erilar, Jan 14, 2014
  20. JF Mezei

    erilar Guest

    The trackpad is a wrist-breaker for old wrists. I love my wireless mouse
    :cool:

    erilar, Jan 14, 2014