Warranty proposal: replace PCIe 6600GT with a PCIe 6800. YES or NO?

Discussion in 'Nvidia' started by Pascal Lemberge, Nov 4, 2005.

  1. Hello,

    I had a PCIe Leadtek 6600GT which broke down while still under warranty - so
    I returned the card to the shop where I originally bought it and they sent
    it back through the retailer to leadtek... anyway... almost three months
    later the shop contacts me telling me that I will get a Leadtek 6800 (non
    ultra, non GT) graphics card in return and apparently not a 6600GT... Why I
    don't get a new or repaired 6600GT still remains a question - perhaps they
    are not available anymore.

    My question is: should I accept a 6800 card. I specifically informed to
    check whether it was a GT (or even an ultra) and the answer is NO, it's a
    plain 6800...

    If I look at benchmarks at tomshardware
    (http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20050524/index.html) the 6600GT is
    always outperforming the 6800. Now I heard that in some cases such a 6800
    can be turned into a 6800GT by unlocking the pipes but there's of course no
    guarantee... and in the end I want a card which gives the same performance
    (or better) as the 6600GT under standard conditions, not through
    overclocking - after all, this is a warranty issue, not me, looking for a
    new card to buy!

    So, do I accept the PCIe Leadtek 6800 or do I demand a a PCTe Leadtek
    6600GT?

    Any advice?

    Thanks,
    Pascal

    Pascal Lemberge, Nov 4, 2005

  2. Pascal Lemberge

    K-Gun Guest

    Last I read, Leadtek declared bankruptcy, it may be thats all they have
    left.

    K-Gun, Nov 4, 2005

  3. Pascal Lemberge

    First of One Guest

    http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2540&p=1
    This is a fairly recent comparison, done using up to date drivers. The
    6600GT and 6800 appear evenly matched. (6800 is faster in Doom3, slower in
    BF2, etc.) For all intents and purposes the cards are functionally
    equivalent, except the 6800 has a decent chance of being modded.

    BTW, LeadTek is doing well financially. K-Gun is full of shit.

    First of One, Nov 4, 2005
  4. Pascal Lemberge

    Mark Walker Guest

    Pascal,

    I would definitely take the 6800 as it has the potential to be a
    significantly better performer than your dead 6600GT. Please see the
    following article:

    http://firingsquad.com/hardware/geforce_6800_unlocking/

    Also, this was just posted by Inglo in response to a question concerning the
    6800:
    The firing squad article is pretty good. I don't see them mention that
    there's no guarantee unlocking the pipes will work.
    Main thing though, if it does work you end up with the best bang for
    your buck of any card out there. I got my XFX 6800 for $180 last
    spring, the pipelines unlocked fine and I've been very happy. The 6600
    GTs are nice cards but an unlocked 6800 or even a locked one are
    better. You can find the XFX 6800 at newegg.com for $185.

    --
    Steve -|Inglo/LymanAlpha|-

    Best of luck with the replacement!

    Mark

    Mark Walker, Nov 4, 2005
  5. Thanks for the quick input!

    Taken into account the links to the different websites I still have two
    doubts... My graphics card, the 6600GT is a PCI Express not AGP... and
    hence, the 6800 which is proposed to me is also a PCI Express version.

    First observation is that in case of PCI Express a 6800 is slower than a
    6600GT (See also the tom hardware links; separate AGP boards and PCI Express
    boards listing -
    http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20050705/index.html &
    http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20050524/index.html). The AnandTech
    article referred to by "First of One" doesn't mention whether it's the AGP
    or the PCI Express version... although I trust it's about the PCI Express
    version, isn't it?

    Second observation is that the unblocking of the pipes is only possible for
    the AGP version, not for the PCI Express version of the 6800... It's
    specifically mentioned by the link referred to by Mark Walker... Apparently
    it's a different manufacturing process and approach for the AGP version
    compared to the PCI Express version.

    Taken into account these two observations... is the PCI Express 6800 still
    the more interesting option?

    Thanks,
    Pascal

    Pascal Lemberge, Nov 5, 2005
  6. Pascal Lemberge

    Nikonja Guest

    You obviously din't read the article you put link on because it said:

    "..It¢s important to keep in mind that the above only applies to NVIDIA¢s
    AGP GeForce 6800 products. For PCI Express cards, NVIDIA uses two distinct
    graphics cores, one with 16 pipelines for GeForce 6800 Ultra/GT (NV45), and
    the second, which is built from the start with only 12 pipeline. This is
    NV41 and goes into PCI-E GeForce 6800 cards..."

    So, man asked about pcix version not agp, and about performance on lower
    resolutions to 1024*768 6600gt gives a lot better results with or without
    aa and af !

    And to Mark you could ask them if you could give some more money and get
    6800gt instead !

    Nikonja, Nov 5, 2005
  7. Pascal Lemberge

    First of One Guest

    Take a step back. Even without taking into account unlocking pipelines, the
    6800 is still *evenly matched* with the 6600GT. It's easy to get caught up
    in the comparisons and become a benchmark whore. Is a 5% performance
    difference significant? Is 10%? Can you distinguish between 50 fps and 55
    fps?

    Most warranty clauses give the mfr the option to replace the defective part
    with an equivalent - not necessarily identical, part. The 6800 is for all
    practical purposes equivalent to the 6600GT. Leave it at that. Don't like
    the 6800? Turn it around and sell it on eBay (the 6800 will likely fetch
    more than the 6600GT), then buy a X800GTO. :)

    First of One, Nov 5, 2005
  8. Do you actually *have* any options??
    If they don't have your specific replacement, is the one they offered
    the only other one available, or as someone else suggested, might they
    have a better one they'd allow you to pay the difference on ?

    [snip]

    noneyabusiness, Nov 5, 2005
  9. Pascal Lemberge

    tod Guest

    I would guess they do not have any "used" 6600GT to give you.
    So instead of giving you a new 6600GT, which they want to sell as new.
    They would rather give you a "used" (returned or refurbished) 6800.
    You could raise a big stink with Leadtek, spend weeks bugging them until
    they give in
    and send you a 6600GT.
    Or just take the 6800 and go on with your life.

    tod, Nov 5, 2005