    wasn't Virtual desktop available in OS X 10.4? it was on the NeXT

    and now Leopard will have it too... and looks quite nice and easy to
    use.

    Summercool, Oct 9, 2007

  2. No.

    Michelle Steiner, Oct 9, 2007

  3. Summercool

    Guest Guest

    Guest, Oct 9, 2007
  4. NeXTstep didn't have virtual desktops if you mean multiple desktops on
    a single display --- there were third-party utilities which provided
    this though (widescreen and virtSpace come to mind).

    William

    William F. Adams, Oct 10, 2007
  5. Summercool

    Ilgaz Öcal Guest

    ^^^Don't buy that one unless it is updated to work flawlessly with new
    OS X versions. I don't understand why it is still on sale while there
    is no way it will work on recent 10.4.x OS.

    Had to warn others who may need it, sorry and it is a huge loss for
    software scene, there is not a single that advanced solution on any OS
    even including X11 Window Managers.

    I think they don't understand their own applications potential and the
    fact that many people will need a more advanced solution than Apple
    built-in Spaces. Especially DTP people.

    Ilgaz

    Ilgaz Öcal, Oct 10, 2007
  6. Summercool

    Ilgaz Öcal Guest

    NeXTstep's "grandson", WindowMaker has one of the most flawless virtual
    desktop implementation I have ever seen. http://windowmaker.info/

    I think, Apple was thinking how to make it end user friendly for all
    this time and they finally decided the "Spaces" is how to make it. I
    can't agree more but I would still pay for a non-hack (not after
    Codetek here) advanced solution.

    There is a market for an advanced desktop manager even after Leopard ships.

    Ilgaz

    Ilgaz Öcal, Oct 10, 2007
  7. oh? i thought virtual desktop is not so tough? Just select a "desktop
    ID" for each window and display the window when the user click or use
    keyboard to specify a Desktop ID.

    kenneth02394832, Oct 11, 2007
  8. Summercool

    Ilgaz Öcal Guest

    That is the idea, Apple's implementation is really easy and end user
    friendly. The original NeXT one which still lives in WindowMaker has
    some great but confusing options (for end user).

    That is the reason why 3rd party virtual desktops development should
    continue, for some people, especially DTP people, the "easy" Spaces
    won't cut it. Also don't forget loads of Linux/FreeBSD switchers who
    got used to a lot more complete interfaces.

    Ilgaz

    Ilgaz Öcal, Oct 11, 2007
  9. Summercool

    Wes Groleau Guest

    My son is enamored of this Linux thing that allows
    six Desktops on the faces of a simulated cube.

    When you switch, it renders an animation of the cube
    rotating to the other Desktop.

    Sounds like a waste of time and CPU power to me.

    Wes Groleau, Oct 11, 2007
  10. Summercool

    Ilgaz Öcal Guest

    It must be OpenGL accelerated on OS X, just like the rest of Desktop so
    it will be likely using near zero CPU power and use GPU (graphics card)
    instead. On GPU's can't handle such tricks, they will simply show a
    basic version (like fast user switching).

    On Linux,things are bit different, X.org (new X11) and those Cairo guys
    really made some progress but it is not at OS X level yet.

    At last resort,it must have some hidden .plist option or something.

    Ilgaz

    Ilgaz Öcal, Oct 11, 2007
  11. Summercool

    Wes Groleau Guest

    It's not on OS X. I said it's a Linux thing.

    Although perhaps it can be built for OS X/X11

    --
    Wes Groleau

    There ain't no right wing,
    there ain't no left wing.
    There's only you and me and we just disagree.
    (apologies to Jim Krueger)

    Wes Groleau, Oct 12, 2007
  12. You Control: Desktops works very well with OS X 10.4.

    Keith Kastorff, Oct 12, 2007