    should expect some other troubles?

    Thanks in advance for your help!

    EH

    eyhang, Mar 3, 2004

  2. If the only thing else you want this box to do is work as a file-server than
    there is nothing to worry about. All smb activity will be transparent to the
    local session on the machine (assuming it's a relatively quick machine with
    a relatively quick HD). However, if you truly require access to other
    resources on the box which would further require logging into its desktop,
    than of course... VNC will not do. VNC is "remote control", not "remote use"
    so the people watching tv would see you scuttling around the desktop. Term
    Serving would work excellent, but now we've brought OS dependency into the
    equation. Any Windows Server-Based OS will do (W2k server, adv, DC etc or
    Windows Server2k3 ent, etc...) as they include multi-user terminal services.
    However, I think you might be able to get by with WindowsXP Professional...
    NOT WinXP Home Edition. Only thing is, by default WinXP Pro is single user
    for RDP connections.. meaning one at a time, so if you logged into the box
    then the local console session would disconnect. BUT!!! I read somewhere
    (haven't tried it out myself yet though ..sorry) that you can apply a
    registry hack to WinXP Pro SP-1 (or maybe it was SP-2 which hasn't been
    released yet, though, could have been a typo on the page I read it) and
    enable two simultaneous RDP connections. They're were a few limitations like
    the logged-in accounts had to be different, but nothing to crippling.

    Sorry for the bad grammar and formatting I'm at work and being watched :)
    .... Basically, google for the XP-Pro RDP two user simultaneous registry
    hack. If you can get it to work then you're golden with XP-Pro. If not,
    you're only recourse is Win2k or 2k3 server which might not behave as well
    with your AIW.

    Tony DiMarzio, Mar 3, 2004