    I've heard they are "silent", but exactly how silent are they, and how
    much should I pay for one? If you don't advise a water-cooling system,
    then where can i get a "silent" fan system?

    Pandora Xero, May 5, 2004

  2. Pandora Xero

    Zebedee Guest

    A silent fan system? Simply get a USB FDD and a USB DVD unit, put a long USB
    cable from your PC to your desk. Put the DVD and FDD etc on the desk, keep
    the computer in a different room and close the door. Voila - silence.

    --
    Yours

    Zebedee

    (Claiming asylum in an attempt
    to escape paying his debts to
    Dougal and Florence)

    Zebedee, May 5, 2004

  3. Pandora Xero

    Tom Guest

    Not that I'd say I know loads about this, but when my friend had water
    cooling his system was louder than most of our air-cooled systems, due
    to the fans he had to have to cool the radiator.

    You can get some very quiet air-cooled systems if you buy good quality
    fans and a good power supply.

    - Tom

    Tom, May 5, 2004
  4. Pandora Xero

    willah Guest

    Watercooling can be silent but its expensive and hard. If you want
    silence, the vantec stealth 80mm fans are quiet and still move a
    decent amount of air, put one of these on top of a zalman "blooming
    flower" copper heatsink for the CPU and you'll have an amazing looking
    setup thats virtually silent. What surprises most is that fans arent
    the biggest noise producer in the computer, it's the hard drive (need
    proof? in winXP under power saving, tell it to turn of HDDs after 5
    mins and listen)If such is the case there's not much to do except buy
    some foam and stick it in vibration areas, case side panels and large
    open areas to cut down of noise.

    willah, May 6, 2004
  5. Pandora Xero

    Aaron Guest

    Go for the big 120mm fans. I've heard they are very quiet, although I
    don't have money to waste on one myself. I can live with some noise.
    I guess there aren't 120mm fans for CPU, though? I haven't heard of
    one.

    Aaron

    Aaron, May 6, 2004
  6. Pandora Xero

    Mouse Guest

    Personally I think that water-cooling is not developed for silence, but
    for better cooling for overclocking devices, in any case it still needs
    fans to cool down the radiator, it is tricky as you have water and need
    to make sure the system is in perfect condition all the time, or your
    entire PC can be screwd up and it needs maintenance, so you better
    option for a quite system is probably to go and by yourself a good set
    of fans, as there are quite a se tof quite ones around, and they are
    likiely going to be cheaper than your water-cooling and less of a hassle
    too.

    Mouse, May 7, 2004