Water(?) damaged Dell but works when warm

Discussion in 'Laptops' started by nick_rc, Feb 1, 2006.

  1. nick_rc

    nick_rc Guest

    One of my less coordinated colleagues managed to spill some "water"
    over a Dell Latutude D600. I followed the usual procedures to dry the
    thing out (a few days in my airing cupboard - that's a small cuboard
    housing the water heater where you can dry clothes for anyone reading
    this who's not from the UK!) and it worked. Great I thought but when I
    tried the laptop a day or so later, nothing. So I put it back in the
    airing cupboard overnight and the next day it worked again but after
    switching it off for a few hours it would not restart (absolutely
    nothing). To cut to the chase the laptop will start up when it's warm
    (and will then run for days with no problem) but if you let it cool
    down then no joy.

    I have taken it apart and dried the components individually and the
    reason I said "water" at the begninning is that there seems to be some
    sort of residue on some of the components (I suspect Coke!). I managed
    to clean much of this off using solvents but it doesn't seem to have
    made any difference.

    Any ideas which component(s) is likely to be causing the problem or
    should I just give up and use it for spares?

    nick_rc, Feb 1, 2006

  2. I think that there is a chance that it's just not dried out completely.
    I'd leave it on, as the heat generated internally will probably do
    more for it than anything else you could do. It may take a long time to
    dry out completely.

    Barry Watzman, Feb 1, 2006