    Can anyone at all help?????? It's driving me mad. My laptop is a asu
    eee 1001ha pc, and OS is xp.

    Thanks in advance for any suggestions

    Cass_2000, Jun 15, 2011

  2. Cass_2000

    BillW50 Guest

    In
    Well I have a bunch of Asus EeePC 701 and 702 models. So mine are a bit
    different than yours. But I believe both of ours start all USB ports to
    USB v1.1 speeds at post. And since the webcam is useless at this speed,
    it is disabled in the BIOS at this point.

    Past post, It will be switched on and USB 2 speeds are returned. But if
    you have the BIOS Setup Utility having the OS Installation set to Start,
    it will not even set the USB ports to 2.0 speeds and the webcam will
    never work.

    That is the only thing I can think of, except webcams like optical
    drives don't tend to last very long if used on a daily bases. And one or
    two years under heavy use seems to be pretty normal. So I would consider
    this possibly too.

    BillW50, Jun 18, 2011

  3. Cass_2000

    Cass_2000 Guest

    Hi Bill, thank's for your reply.. I have to admit tho I don't reall
    understand much of what you said! I have been in the BIOS however a
    someone suggested it might be disabled there but everything is enabled
    As for the 2.0 speed thing you mentioned... how do I get the cam to wor
    at that speed?! Sorry for being so thick

    Cass_2000, Jun 18, 2011
  4. Cass_2000

    BillW50 Guest

    In
    I don't know if the EEE 1001HA has the option in the BIOS that has OS
    Installation toggle or not. If it does, make sure the toggle is set to
    Finished. If it isn't, the webcam won't work correctly. I believe AJL
    has one of these. So maybe AJL might see this and let us know what his
    BIOS settings looks like.

    BillW50, Jun 21, 2011
  5. Cass_2000

    BillW50 Guest

    Reposted for AJL...

    BillW50, Jul 2, 2011
  6. Cass_2000

    AJL Guest

    Mine is a 1015PE and has different specs so I don't know about the
    BIOS differences, but I just looked all through this BIOS and couldn't
    find any setings for the webcam.

    You will chucke at the main on/off webcam setting on this 1015PE
    netbook. It is a *mechanical slider shade* (labeled "on" and "off")
    that slides across in front of the lens like a camera lens cap. Course
    what did I expect from a $229 Best Buy netbook... ;)

    My 3 year old EeePC 1000HW (XP) outperforms this 1000PE (W7) in just
    about every way except battery life...a whopping 10 hours. That was
    the big deal on the ads so guess they sacrificed speed for battery.

    BTW neither the old 1000HW or the older 2G Surf netbooks even have
    webcams.

    AJL, Jul 2, 2011
  7. Cass_2000

    BillW50 Guest

    On 7/2/2011 1:05 PM, AJL wrote:
    [...]
    I don't know as much about all of the netbook models from Asus like you
    do. But I do know a lot about the 700 series models. And Asus used two
    different methods of model numbers for them.

    700 = 2G
    701 = 4G
    702 = 8G (only this model the SSD was replaceable)

    And any of the above was labeled as Surf (i.e. 4G Surf), it means it
    doesn't have a webcam. I know for a fact that the 4G models came with
    and without a webcam (aka Surf). And I seem to remember that the 2G
    models came with and without a webcam too (I can't swear to it though).
    And I can't remember a single 8G model without a webcam (but they could
    have existed).

    BillW50, Jul 3, 2011
  8. Cass_2000

    AJL Guest

    Just trying out a Droid newsreader.
    More to follow...

    AJL, Jul 3, 2011
  9. Cass_2000

    AJL Guest

    Sorry, yes I know I should go to a test group but this was much easier
    to try and there's not that much traffic here anyway. Heading out to
    Big Bear Lake CA and will have no WiFi so not bringing the netbook.
    But will probably have cell data access, so just wanted to try out my
    Droid reader posting for the first time and it seems to work.
    Apologies to any who are offended...

    AJL, Jul 3, 2011
  10. Cass_2000

    AJL Guest

    I only own 3 EeePC netbooks now. I think you have 6 or more. I would
    defer to your expertise just by simple numbers... ;)
    I'm sure you're right. But interestingly I can find no model number
    anywhere on my 2G Surf or on any of the associated paperwork. The box
    of course is long gone.

    Wikipedia says they were marketed in some areas with a name and others
    with a model number.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asus_Eee_PC

    Anyway an interesting article with info on the various models.
    According to the article some of the 4G Surfs were socketed though no
    access door. My 2G Surf has the SSD soldered in.
    I think they made special runs for various manufacturers. My 1000HW is
    a Best Buy run with no webcam and no bluetooth. Other 1000 models had
    different letter designations and different specs though the same
    basic model.
    Probably the best proof of that is that my 2G Surf has a plugged up
    webcam hole... ;) (As does my 1000HW)
    If such a no-webcam model exists it would be found at Best Buy... ;)

    BTW while I was Googling around I noticed that Amazon had a couple of
    used 2G Surfs. $199 and $229... 8-O Heck I got mine new for $199
    at Target...

    AJL, Jul 3, 2011
  11. Cass_2000

    BillW50 Guest

    Well I *only* have 701s (4G) and 702s (8G) models. ;-) And I also have a
    bunch of SSDs of different sizes for the 702s.
    Well on mine, it states the model number on the paper tag with the
    serial number on it. And model number is in very small print. ;-)
    Yes it is very good and I have been there before.
    Yes I remember all 2G the RAM is soldered in. And the only 4Gs that I
    know of besides some of the prototypes were very early versions with a
    very low serial number. I have one of them. And they do in fact have 4G
    soldered on the motherboard. But they also have a SSD socket too. And
    the story is if you plug in a SSD in this socket, the SSD on the MB
    becomes disabled. So what fun is that? Plus they are missing the SSD
    mounting hardware. Although I think two long screws and 6 nuts would
    probably work out okay.
    One of my 4G is a Surf and it too is the same.
    You got me curious and I went looking around for prices. And the prices
    hasn't really came down at all in the past three years. And the SSDs are
    actually a bit higher nowadays for the same sizes than they were before.
    Even RAM prices are the same as they were 3 years ago.

    And it seems nobody is manufacturing 7 inch netbooks anymore. I like
    them because they are the smallest and generally the lightest netbooks.
    If I want larger, I use a laptop. And it seems as used 7 inch netbooks
    are getting harder and harder to find, the prices are going up and not
    down. Now it seems yours is even worth more used than it did when it was
    new. ;-)

    BillW50, Jul 3, 2011
  12. Cass_2000

    AJL Guest

    When I get home I'll have to check again.
    netbooks.

    When I first got mine I took it on all my travels
    but when I got the 1000HD it was so superior
    in every way that the Surf was displaced.

    AJL, Jul 4, 2011
  13. Not that your saying it, but the 701, whilst having a 7" screen, is the
    same size ("form factor") as the 901, i.e. it's bigger than 7" across.

    Esra Sdrawkcab, Jul 4, 2011
  14. Cass_2000

    BillW50 Guest

    In
    I'm not seeing it here.

    225mm x 165mm @ 922 grams = All 700 series
    225mm x 170mm @ 990 grams = 900
    248mm x 175.3mm @ 1140 grams = 901

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asus_Eee_PC

    So the 901 is 23mm x 10.3mm larger than the 700 series. Another nice
    thing about the 700 series is that the speakers are alongside of the
    screen. Which sounds a lot better than on the bottom like most other
    netbooks.

    BillW50, Jul 4, 2011
  15. Cass_2000

    BillW50 Guest

    In
    I would say the very same thing if I was stuck with Linux and 2G. ;-) I
    used the 8G as a desktop for a few months (external monitor, keyboard,
    etc.). And it worked perfectly fine and it was very useable. I then went
    out of town for 2 months and I only had taken my 8G. No external monitor
    or keyboard this time. And I was thinking I would regret not taking one
    of my laptops. But after two months, I didn't have any regrets and it
    did everything I wanted to do.

    BillW50, Jul 4, 2011
  16. Ah, OK. I once saw someone ask if it'd be possible to put a 900 screen on
    a 701.
    I ass*u*med they were the same size.

    My point, that I failed to make, is that the 701 is significantly bigger
    than 7" across diagonally. (Gets 701 and tape measure) I make it 10 and
    3/4 inches or 275mm in new money. I still want a 901 for the screen size,
    the 701 either doesn't show stuff, or I have to run a virtual screen
    scrolling prog which doesn't quite track where the screen should be.

    Esra Sdrawkcab, Jul 5, 2011
  17. Cass_2000

    AJL Guest

    ;-)

    Linux wasn't so bad. I tried XP on it and it left less room and ran
    slower.
    That's what makes it good...if it works for you.

    In my case the 1000HD offered everything a full size laptop had
    except a big screen. It's not that much bigger than the 2G and has a
    better battery life to boot. Ditto on the 1015PE with a 10 hour
    battery life.

    Boy, this Droid is a pain to type on. Turns out this cabin does have
    WiFi. Sure wish I'd brought one of my Eee's...

    AJL, Jul 6, 2011
  18. Cass_2000

    AJL Guest

    I'm home. Nope, no model number unless it's in the Chinese
    characters... ;)

    AJL, Jul 7, 2011
  19. Cass_2000

    BillW50 Guest

    Hmm... interesting. As all of my 4G and 8G ones have the model number on
    them. And it looks like from Wikipedia, all 2G models were Surf (without
    webcam). I also read that no 702 model was sold with Windows XP on them.
    I know I was looking for one and I couldn't, so maybe it is true.
    Although the 701SD model looks very much like a 702 and also has 8G
    (also removable). But it uses the cheaper MLC SSD instead of the better
    SLC SSD.

    BillW50, Jul 9, 2011
  20. Cass_2000

    BillW50 Guest

    Ah yes! I can definitely appreciate the larger screen. And the 9 inch
    gets you there the easy way. Although did you ever use AsTray2? As it
    uses a little known feature of downscaling (or sometimes called
    compressed mode) of Intel graphics. And I can use up to 1024x768 without
    scrolling on a 7 inch screen. And that helps a great deal when you need
    to see the whole larger desktop without scrolling.

    BillW50, Jul 9, 2011