    the BIOS needs to be updated to support the higher resolution screen or
    not. But physically, it sounds like a very tight fit to me. As it seems
    so much easier to just get a real 9 inch netbook to me. ;-)

    BillW50, Jul 9, 2011

  2. Cass_2000

    AJL Guest

    From Wikipedia: "In some countries, the products have the marketing
    names EeePC 8G, 4G, 4G Surf, and 2G Surf, though in other countries
    the machines are still designated by the model numbers 700 and 701."

    Apparently in this country they marketed by the name only. Course it
    would be interesting to see what the box said but that's long gone.
    My 2G Surf came with XP drivers on the disk, though as I said before,
    when I put XP on it, it was not a great experience.
    Yes, my Surf definitely has the cheaper SSD, making it slow, but still
    useable. And what do you expect for US$199 anyway... ;)

    Postscript:

    I just dug out my 2G manual dated December 2007. They slipped up. At
    the bottom of page 3 it says "ASUS Eee PC 700". That is the only place
    that I could find in the entire manual where it refers to a model
    number. (At the bottom of all the other pages it just says "ASUS Eee
    PC"... ;)

    AJL, Jul 9, 2011

  3. Cass_2000

    BillW50 Guest

    In
    Well I still have five boxes here. And the boxes are exactly the same no
    matter which model was in there. And the ones that came with XP have the
    Windows logo. The only other difference is a label on the side that
    tells you what is in the box.

    1) Model: 701 (this one is a Surf)
    AU EEEPC4G_Surf/701/1BLK/US

    2) Model: EeePC 4G
    AU EEEPC4G/701/1BLK/US

    3) Model: 701 (this one is from the UK)
    AU 701 4GA/512M/UK/1BLACK

    4) Model: EeePC 8G
    AU EEEPC8G/702/WHI/US

    5) Model: EeePC 8G
    AU EEEPC8G/702/WHI/US
    Fascinating. My manuals states:

    E3509 (Xandros)

    Eee PC 4G (701)
    Eee PC 4G Surf
    Eee PC 8G

    October 2007

    And the manuals between all of them are the same, except for the ones
    that came with Windows XP. They are totally different.

    E3683 (Windows XP)

    Eee PC 8G
    Eee PC 4G
    Eee PC 4G Surf

    February 2008

    BillW50, Jul 10, 2011
  4. Cass_2000

    BillW50 Guest

    Those two should read:

    AU EEEPC8G/702/1WHI/US

    Asus adds that number one before the color. All five have it. Not sure
    what it means.

    BillW50, Jul 10, 2011
  5. Cass_2000

    AJL Guest

    Sure wish I'd saved my box. You never know when you'll need one to
    solve a mystery... ;)
    So most of your manuals (except the one quoted) don't give
    model numbers either.

    I did a little searching and have yet to find a site that gives an
    actual model number for the 2G Surf. Only the apparent one time slip
    up in the 2G manual (700) and Wikipedia's article (700 or 701) give a
    clue. As you can tell I have a lot of free time on my hands... ;)

    AJL, Jul 10, 2011
  6. Cass_2000

    BillW50 Guest

    In
    They are not all that big and I have mine up on the bookshelf.
    No I mean there are only two different manuals (E3509 and E3683) that I
    have. All of the Linux ones are all one manual (E3509) and all of the
    Windows ones are another (E3683). And the Linux manual covers the
    following three models. It doesn't matter if they are a 701 or a 702
    model.

    E3509 (Xandros)

    Eee PC 4G (701)
    Eee PC 4G Surf
    Eee PC 8G

    October 2007

    And the Windows ones are all of the same and cover the following models.

    E3683 (Windows XP)

    Eee PC 8G
    Eee PC 4G
    Eee PC 4G Surf

    February 2008

    So what's the E number of your manual?

    Here is a link to the XP version (although two months older than what I
    have) I found. So you can see what I mean.

    http://www.retrevo.com/support/Asus-8G-Laptops-manual/id/7047bh043/t/2/
    So what are you running on your Surf? I had to give up on Xandros since
    Firefox 2 can't view many websites anymore (worse than trying to use
    IE6). So I am using Ubuntu once again.

    BillW50, Jul 10, 2011
  7. Cass_2000

    AJL Guest

    My 2G Surf manual is E3607 (Dec 2007).
    The XP Installation Guide insert is E3606 (Dec 2007).

    To add to the confusion:

    Manual for my 1000HW (purchased 10-08):
    No manual number/no manual date. Title page says XP edition, covers
    1000 series and 904/905 series.

    Manual for my 1015PE (purchased 5-11):
    Manual: E5871 (no date)
    Technical Update Insert: E5782 (no date)
    It's completely stock. I brought it back to the factory standards
    using the built in hidden recovery partition.
    Have you tried using the built in Konqueror browser/file manager? It
    still does a pretty good job, course YMMV.
    That won't fit on the 2G. However I have used the 10-10 version dual
    booting on a couple of my XP laptops. In both cases it was mostly
    slower than XP, ran the battery down faster, and of course wouldn't
    run much of the Windows software I like (like this Agent newsreader -
    Pan was no substitute). I of course tried Wine but while it partially
    worked, it always seemed to have a problem with my stuff.

    AJL, Jul 11, 2011
  8. I think that was the answer! (i.e it just ain't worth the hassle trying)

    Esra Sdrawkcab, Jul 11, 2011
  9. It's a windows app?
    I'm running xpud - so there should be a way.

    Esra Sdrawkcab, Jul 11, 2011