Weird Dimension 9200 problem

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Tom Scales, Jan 12, 2007.

  1. Mine was a 256MB Nvidia GeForce 7900GS

    Sparky Spartacus, Jan 17, 2007

  2. Tom Scales

    Tom Scales Guest

    Mine's a 7300, but the problem is fixed.

    Tom Scales, Jan 20, 2007

  3. Tom Scales

    S.Lewis Guest

    Hopefully the system won't need any future BIOS flashes.......

    S.Lewis, Jan 20, 2007
  4. Tom Scales

    Tom Scales Guest

    True, but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it :)

    Tom Scales, Jan 20, 2007
  5. FWIW, the UK site has BIOS 2.1.2 with a release date of today (20th)

    chuckles_the_scary_clown, Jan 20, 2007
  6. Tom Scales

    Tom Scales Guest

    It's on the Dell US site today, but is only 2K. Nice to see they ensure the
    file is correct.

    Tom Scales, Jan 20, 2007
  7. The filesize looks right on the UK site but "page
    unavailable"............

    chuckles_the_scary_clown, Jan 20, 2007
  8. Tom Scales

    Tom Scales Guest

    Yeah, I just started getting that too. Seems like they've already pulled
    it.

    Wow, what a mess

    Tom Scales, Jan 20, 2007
  9. Tom Scales

    DellCA Guest

    Tom, since you said (in another thread) that the latest BIOS updat
    (posted on 20 Jan '07) did not fix the problem I am going to forwar
    the problem on to the group that creates the updates. Obviousl
    something changed after the version that works that should not have.
    Unfortunately I do not know how long it will take to get that updated.

    Larry
    Dell Customer Advocat

    DellCA, Jan 25, 2007
  10. Tom Scales

    DellCA Guest

    [Apologize for the double post, but I couldn't find an edit button]

    I did some research and it doesn't look like this particular proble
    has been logged yet. If you are willing, Tom, I would like to set up
    system exchange to send you a new 9200 and to have the one you have no
    shipped directly to me so I can get it to the engineers. They wil
    want a system that has the problem so it can be tested to find ou
    exactly where the problem is.

    To set that up I just need the service tag of the system and th
    address the replacement would be shipped to and I'm sure you won't wan
    that posted on a public forum. If you can email me directly a
    with 'ATTN: Larry' in the subject we can g
    over exactly how the exchange would work.

    Larry
    Dell Customer Advocat

    DellCA, Jan 25, 2007
  11. Tom Scales

    Tom Scales Guest

    Sounds good. I posted on the community forum and didn't get a single
    response

    Tom Scales, Jan 25, 2007
  12. Tom Scales

    npsaltarelli Guest

    I Googled "Dell Dimension 9200 problems" and stumbled upon this group.
    Just thought I'd put in a couple of cents worth. I replaced my
    5-year-old Dimension 8200 with a well loaded 9200 at the end of the
    year. I bought this machine with all the high end hardware, including
    the Intel E6400 CPU and 4GB of RAM to handle heavy video processing.
    This is my fifth Dell computer and up until now I've been very happy
    with them. The next day out of the box, the computer crashed during an
    overnight download of some hefty video files. While checking out the
    tower I discovered that System Info was reporting only 3G of RAM, as
    opposed to 4GM installed. I emailed Dell to inquire about it, got no
    response after 4-5 days, so called the Dell Technical Dept. The Tech
    Rep told me a) the reason why the computer crashed is because I was
    downloading too much data and b) Windows XP Professional will only
    support 3GB of RAM and that is why it reports only 3GB. Now, Just so
    happens I got a reply to my original email the next day, emailed back
    what the Tech Rep had told me and asked why they sold me 4GB of RAM if
    the operating system wouldn't handle it and *they* emailed back that
    the Tech Rep was on Mars, or some such thing, and there is obviously a
    problem with the motherboard. Sound familiar? So, they said they'd send
    me a new tower. That was 4 weeks ago. I guess I'm dense because I
    waited for 3 1/2 weeks to find out what was up and only then discovered
    that the reorder was "lost" and the order for the new tower had to be
    re-entered. Meanwhile, for what will be six weeks I have had system
    crashes, deadly slow response times, audio/visual problems, programs
    that refuse to load, etc. etc. Really disappointing for a high end
    machine, as has been Dell's response. The terms of the sale include
    "next business day onsite/in home service". I am really hoping the new
    tower performs to expectations. The old 8200 was never like this.

    npsaltarelli, Jan 25, 2007
  13. Tom Scales

    S.Lewis Guest

    Wow. So, Larry......

    Are you a permanent fixture in this newsgroup, and can we consider your
    presence here a move by Dell to "reach out" as it were to Dell users?

    Or are you just dropping in for a spell?

    I ask this because there have been periodic "visits" by people alleging to
    be Dell personnel over the many years, but not many of them stuck around for
    long.

    Great of you to offer Tom a system(s) exchange......

    ?

    Stew

    S.Lewis, Jan 25, 2007
  14. Tom Scales

    Tom Scales Guest

    OK, I admit I skimmed because you really need paragraphs.

    But bottom line, XP does not properly support 4gb and will never report 4gb.
    It usually reports 3gb.

    Tom Scales, Jan 25, 2007
  15. Tom Scales

    S.Lewis Guest

    S.Lewis, Jan 25, 2007
  16. Tom Scales

    npsaltarelli Guest

    Thanks. Seems the techie was right on one thing at least (XP not
    recognising more than 3GB of memory).

    Any advice on the other stuff? (crashing, slowdowns, periodic poor
    audio/video, apps refusing to load).

    npsaltarelli, Jan 26, 2007
  17. Tom Scales

    Tom Scales Guest

    go to www.hdtune.com

    Install and run it and tell us what the graph looks like. It should look
    like a gently sloping downhill from about 65MBps to 50MBps.

    OR

    It would look like a really bad mountain range, dipping down to 1MBps every
    1-3 seconds.

    Tom

    Tom Scales, Jan 26, 2007
  18. Tom Scales

    DellCA Guest

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/291988/en-us is an MS KBA that talk
    about ways to have the system read more than 3Gb of memory on you
    system. I'm not sure if this will help you or not, but I figure at th
    worst it will help explain what is happening

    As for my presence here on the forums, I am here semi-permanently. ;

    My team was created to, basically, search the internet looking fo
    blogs and forum posts where people are having problems or question
    about Dell systems. When we find them we do what we can to hel
    resolve the problem. While I personally may not always be here
    someone from my team will be here for the foreseeable future

    Larr
    Dell Customer Advocat

    DellCA, Jan 26, 2007
  19. Tom Scales

    Tom Scales Guest

    That's great to hear. Good news that Dell is being more proactive.

    Us amateurs might have to retire

    Tom Scales, Jan 26, 2007
  20. Tom Scales

    RnR Guest

    No Tom, I think he means just you <grin>.

    In reality tho, Dell won't be here all the time nor will they
    consider all the questions asked qualified for Dell support so where
    does that leave the rest of us..... just like before, visiting this
    newsgroup hoping others here can help like yourself, myself and the
    others who usually help. I think as a team we are pretty good
    especially for what we charge others <grin> !! Of course I'm also
    happy to see that Dell recognizes this newsgroup as worthy of their
    attention. Perhaps Dell will be listening NOW to US !!

    RnR, Jan 26, 2007